News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Replica Crossbows

Started by Poldugarian Warrior, January 09, 2010, 06:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

Does anyone know of a company or site that produces period crossbows that shoot a poundage that is capable for hunting deer. I've seen those replicas that come with one bolt and are functional, but I don't believe they shoot at killing poundage, and they look too nice to be used in the field. I'm looking for one without that wooden rifle shaped stock so many new crossbows have. Any information on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

TKM

unfortunately, museumreplicas.com doesn't appear to have such a thing. I'm not sure where else to look, but I thought I would at least inform people that I've already tried mesumreplicas, lest anyone else waste their time looking.

SirRichardBear

There is a ventor at Four Winds faire that makes period crossbow that have the poundage you would need.  I'll see if I can locate an address for him.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

SirRichardBear

Found the name David Ruff of Siege Works at Four Winds Faire in Tyler Texas.  He makes period crossbows from 125 pounds and up more than powerfull enouhg to hunt with.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Poldugarian Warrior

Wow! 125LBS is more than enough. Most long or recurve bows shoot at 40-60 odd LBS. I'll definitely have to look this guy up. Thank you.

Poldugarian Warrior

I was hopin they had a site, but no such luck. I'm way up north here, so I'd be a logn trip to Texas.

knarlyknot

PW,
  If you are on Facebook, he is as well and can be reached that way.  Search for Dave Ruff.

Poldugarian Warrior