News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Targe questions

Started by Squire Mickey, January 20, 2010, 02:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire Mickey

Hello all.

Question for the group...

What size would a traditional Scottish Targe be? Where they mostly 19" or did they come in different sizes?

Also, how thick was the wood that they used?

I will be covering it with tooled leather and backing it with hair on hide (probably deer) which I believe is traditional.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

robert of armstrong

I have seen them in varying sizes, but mostly between 15" to 22" diameter.  I guess it depends on the region and what is available.

For thickness, again it may vary.  Remember that the targe was a relatively light weight defense, so I wouldn't recommend one with a 22" diameter and a 2" thickness.

Is it going to actually be used in battle, or simply as an accessory to garb?

If you are planning for battle, you may want to experiment with different thicknesses and types of wood to see what will withstand the impacts you expect while being as light as possible to limit fatigue.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Hatter

Your targe should allow 5-6 inches of your dirk to extend below the targe.  The targe and dirk were held together in the left hand and the sword in the right.  This allowed attacking with either hand.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Hatter on January 27, 2010, 04:13:47 PM
Your targe should allow 5-6 inches of your dirk to extend below the targe.  The targe and dirk were held together in the left hand and the sword in the right.  This allowed attacking with either hand.

Thank you all very much for your input!

I am assuming that you hold it in your shield hand and just use the strap to hold the targe to your fore arm...

If that be the case, I will be making mine 18" diameter.

Hair on cowhide for the inside, and tooled veg tan and brass nails and upholstery tacks on the face and on the edges.

Now the big question is the Boss. How common where they and should incorporate one?
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Squire Mickey

Also, does anyone have a historical reference for the THICKNESS?

I have done an 18" diameter 3/4 thick piece that I think I am going to use...
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran