News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Parasols and Fans

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, May 28, 2008, 02:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindChime

I found a very pretty fan a few years ago and added my own mirror to it. You can find mirrors at the craft store and glue it on with e6000.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

FortuneRose

I bought mine from a vendor at the TRF... one of our forum members was working there... I don't remember who.  (wow, I'm horrible for remembering these sorts of things)

But I have also come across several how-tos on the internet that I am anxious to try some time this year.
LLVW

DonaCatalina

http://www.featherfans.net

she's no longer at Scarby but she takes orders.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Auryn

This is a great thread.
All those parasols are so pretty.

I am working on making my own fan.
The ribs I will be designing and cutting with my laser cutter/engraver so that it will have a really cool intricate design.
I was thinking of using thin suede instead of fabric for the webbing part just to be different since I won't be any kind of noble.

Can anyone instruct on how to glue the material onto the ribs??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

dinkywench

for a decent feather fan (not historical) you can go to the featherstore.com, they have fans for around 9-15 dollars. i have a few. plus they have lots of colors.

Dayna

Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Celtic_Fae

Thanks to E Bay, I was able to get a Sapphire and Sage fan. It's lovely!

Dayna

Yup, that's the one, although she has much more than just Ostrich fans.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

McGuinness

Quote from: Nailin on April 08, 2009, 11:06:45 PM
Has anyone ordered from this site?
http://asianideas.com/copapa.html

Anyone have experience with this site, or specifically with these "water resistant" parasols? I'm wondering how they hold up in light to moderate rain, I need a new one for those only-kinda-wet days. I need a new cheap backup folding fan too, would be nice to get it all in one shot.

Syrilla

They work for a light rain.  But for a continuous down pour... it will not hold up for long.  You also must be careful with any paper, as the ink will sometime bleed.  As they state when wet, it must be dried open.  I always add a bit of clear coat to the paper, especially on the underside.

sapphireandsage

So glad you got one, Kathryn!  I wish I'd known you wanted one with a mirror - I could have easily put a mirror in a setting one one side for you!  I've been meaning to add that option to my website for ages now, but life always seems to get in the way.  Now that I've been reminded, I'd do it today, but I've exceeded my bandwidth for the month (oopsie!)....wonder if I can still upload revisions to pages when I'm past my BW limits.  I think I'll go try and see what happens!
~Rhonda
-:¦:-  Sapphire & Sage -:¦:-
Renaissance Jewelry & Accessories
Tarot Consultations by E-mail

McGuinness

Quote from: Syrilla on April 29, 2009, 09:35:15 AM
They work for a light rain.  But for a continuous down pour... it will not hold up for long.  You also must be careful with any paper, as the ink will sometime bleed.  As they state when wet, it must be dried open.  I always add a bit of clear coat to the paper, especially on the underside.

Thanks, Syrilla. I know its pointless in a downpour and I just rely on my cloak on those days, but I need something new for light rain. Maybe I'll have to just hunt down another silk one that I can coat in Camp Dry again, my last one broke a spoke.

Blue66669

Quote from: Colleen McGuinness on April 29, 2009, 11:37:49 AM
Quote from: Syrilla on April 29, 2009, 09:35:15 AM

Thanks, Syrilla. I know its pointless in a downpour and I just rely on my cloak on those days, but I need something new for light rain. Maybe I'll have to just hunt down another silk one that I can coat in Camp Dry again, my last one broke a spoke.

Mine survived the great TnRF Memorial Day Weekend downpour last year. What a trooper!!!
Blaidd Drwg

RumbaRue

This parasol is almost 25 years old. Those are real rib bones on it. After eating the meat, I cleaned the bones as best as possible and then let them dry out for a couple of months in the sun. Then I took a dremel tool and carefully made holes in them and sewed them down with entrensic (?) thread. I used some old corduroy pants from a thrift store to cover the underside of the parasol. Then I Scotch Guarded the whole thing to make it waterproof in case of rain.

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.