News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scarborough 2010

Started by Merlin, February 21, 2010, 04:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

The girls have their new garb ready:

My new staff is just about complete:

I would say we are just about ready for the 2010 season!
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Ken

The girls look loverly, Merlin!  I'll be sure to keep a weather-eye open for them at Scarborough.

At first I thought your staff had a red flasher light, like what you see on a railroad crossing arm, on the top of it!  Then I realized that it was a red crystal ball.   ;D  Looks really cool!

~Ken
"Mom, Dad...I'm Gaelic."
As never seen in Renaissance Magazine.

Merlin

Butch

Nice photos!  Is that your scotch egg, with guacamole?  Nice to see your completed staff, with the doll's hair all unwound.  Did your girls enjoy parading about in their new garb?  I see that you're proudly sporting your R/F pin!

I hope everyone was exhausted from all the fun!

LadyShadow

Forgot I had the camera some of the time, but here are my pics

http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Ladyshadow1313/Scarby/
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Merlin

Quote from: Butch on April 11, 2010, 12:55:00 PM
Nice photos!  Is that your scotch egg, with guacamole?  Nice to see your completed staff, with the doll's hair all unwound.  Did your girls enjoy parading about in their new garb?  I see that you're proudly sporting your R/F pin!

I hope everyone was exhausted from all the fun!

Thanks Butch... that's spicy mustard on my Scottish Egg! Believe it or not...as I'm leaving on day 1.... my orb breaks on my staff so it's a rush to Hobby Lobby to find another lawn ornament that I can disassemble to make a new orb for the top. I may add some more doll hair too.... kinda creepy that way.
My daughters had a BLAST.... as always. Doing the parade for the first time was a major treat for Savannah.
I sport all my pins proudly! I'm going to have to make a "pin sash" to get the pins off the cape and be able to transfer them easily for Sundays kilt days.

What a great opening weekend! The weather could not have been better.
You're welcome ! Queen Bonnie and I worked together for MONTHS prior to opening canon to ensure that this weekend would be the absolute best!

Now.... to get to work on the Rendezvous weekend....

Anál nathrach, orth' bháis's bethad, do chél dénmha ! ! !

Lady Renee Buchanan

Question on Scarby weather and shade.

When we come for RenDezvous, I wonder if I should try somehow to bring my parasol, if I can fit it in my carryon.

Is the village mostly sunny, mostly shaded?  Will a parasol be needed, or is most everything under the shade of trees?

My anti-rejection meds make me prone to skin cancer, and last year, I had 4 removed from my face and 1 from my shoulder, despite the only place I was in the sun was at faire, plus with a hat on.

Thanks for the help.      ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on April 11, 2010, 08:34:11 PM
Question on Scarby weather and shade.

When we come for RenDezvous, I wonder if I should try somehow to bring my parasol, if I can fit it in my carryon.

Is the village mostly sunny, mostly shaded?  Will a parasol be needed, or is most everything under the shade of trees?

My anti-rejection meds make me prone to skin cancer, and last year, I had 4 removed from my face and 1 from my shoulder, despite the only place I was in the sun was at faire, plus with a hat on.

Thanks for the help.      ;D
On the right side... (Pecan Meadow).... It's very shaded.

The other side has some wide open areas however the shows (most shows) have sun screens over the top.
I would bring it if you are concerned..... but this a very shaded faire... LOTS of trees and screens.

I shave my head for faire every year and I didn't get burned this weekend. Texas is like an angry wife though.... each weekend will be different. One day it may snow...the next day it may be 95 degrees.

Here's some good news though... if you get hot... and need some shade and/or some water or gatorade... you guys are welcome in the Friends of Faire area that is covered...has table and seats... any time you want it.
There's always a place to get out of the sun....

Lady Kett

If it fits Renee, bring it! If the sun is shining, portable shade will be welcomed! There are large areas of the Faire that are shaded, but also some stretches that have no shade in sight. I find it hard to totally avoid those sunny areas no matter what we're doing.

Butch

LadyShadow, you've got some nice photos too!

So here's a question for EVERYONE:  do you hide your camera in a bag or something while strolling about the faire?

LadyShadow

Thank you.

And as for the camera, at first I had it hanging around my neck, and then after I got the new bag I hid it in there, in which I started to forget I had it.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Sir Martin

Quote from: Butch on April 12, 2010, 09:22:21 AM
So here's a question for EVERYONE:  do you hide your camera in a bag or something while strolling about the faire?

If I'm using my DSLR, I don't hide it.  I just keep the strap around my neck and it's ready to go at a moment's notice.  When using my point and shoot camera (a Canon PowerShot A620), I keep it in the small woodsman pouch I purchased at Renaissance Leather.  It fits perfectly and provides a good degree of protection from bumps and scratches.  The catch is strong, yet releases quickly when you need to get out your camera.

http://renleather.com/plugins/MivaMerchants/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PO-WDS

Bonny Pearl

You will for sure want to pack that parasol Lady Renee!  The sun is even more unforgiving down here.  Just attending faire this past weekend, my hubby and son had a little sunburn and it's only April.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Azeem the Moor

Hey Texas/Scar folks - I'm a 10 year Ren Vet f/Cali....flyin' in to attend Scar in May....I've got tons of questions that will help me in planning for the trip! The "official" website indicates that alcohol is not allowed in a flask....and drinking is ONLY allowed in "pubs" for which a membership is needed [?] - but Texas State law says if you have weapons, you can't drink in a room that serves alcohol???? What about weapons as costuming? The way it's worded is ODD! Could someone break that down for me!
     And, I just visited the AZ Ren Faire.....they used 2 foot long lengths of red ribbon to "peace tie" ALL of my knives and swords (killed the aesthetic of my rig!!)...what is the policy on weapons at Scar? Can we peace tie our own stuff? Thanx for the help. G>

raevyncait

Azeem,
Officially, outside food & beverages are not allowed on site. Beverages purchased on site must be consumed on site, but not necessarily just in the pub... people walk about all the time with their beverages.

In general, discretion is the key to having your flask with you.  I've not yet seen anyone's baskets or pouches searched on the way in or out of the gates (unlike PARF, where they search pouches and baskets for flasks). I know several folks who have a small bag of fritos or some other non-perishable salty treat in their basket or pouch, which they pour into their own bowl and eat discreetly when necessary.

As for peace-tying, most of my friends who carry weapons have them already peace-tied by the time they get to the gate, and they remain so (except for the Scots who unsheath their swords ONLY for Parade) until they return to their car.

Sunblock, hats, and warm weather wear are essential. If you bring your own drinking vessel, most of the cold drink vendors (and possibly the pubs, I've never asked there) will put ice in your vessel if you ask, at no charge.

My last tidbit of advice is in regard to what hotel to choose: NOT the Texas Inn. It is the closest, and I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to stay there. Super 8 in Waxahachie is my preferred spot, and my 2nd choice is the Days Inn up in Red Oak (about 8 minutes further from faire than Super8).
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist