News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Holiday/season themed fae...

Started by Finnian, February 22, 2010, 08:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnian

Well, we're about half way into our local faire season, and sadly it seems I have developed some kind of bone spur on the front of one of my feet, right where my hoofboots rub/are tight. Aka: SUPER PAINFUL, even a week without wearing the hooves. I am trying to "fix up" the hooves to be not so tight, but in the mean time I'm working on a new alternate fae charcter, that would probably be debuted at our secondary, smaller Faire in November.

I've seen autumn/spring/winter/summer fae before at faires, but I've never seen holiday themed ones. If it wasn't done in a cliche manner, just enough so that via color scheme and maybe fabrics/textures, and maybe accessories, people would assume "hey that's a ____ fairy!", do you think it would be ok?

I want to do a samhain/halloween fae. I would be hoping to make a number of outfits for the same character, so they would probably play with different ideas, like day of the dead style patterning/paint, etc.

The first outfit I'm working on would have a black long sleeve straight-necked, pointy sleeve shirt, upturned ear tips (sort of like hobbit ears), a pentacle and tiny jackolantern earings, green or orange ear cuffs, brown and burnt orange patchwork/quilted halloweeny long-shorts, orange and black striped socks, black rennie boots (short ones, no laces), and maybe a patchwork coat if I can actually get one done that doesn't look like poop. I would probably do some very basic make up, probably black and orange about my eyes. Green contacts probably. grungey black, orange, and green nails (I do this weird painting style for that).

As for wings, they would be branches with yarn webbing and tattered fabrics instead of being solid membranes. :) I also am looking into either making or getting some cool hats for different weather conditions.

So what do you all think?

dfloyd888

That sounds like a very cool character, and original too.  I know that if I saw someone like that at a faire, they definitely would stand out.

Finnian

I was thinking of neat names that could also have short variations that little kids would be able to say, and I think Ichabod or ICH (ick!) for short would suit him well. XD

Queen_of_Navarre

I have a autumn queen / fairy godmother garb. The gown is bitter green with gold leaf embroidery. The head piece is silk leaves of gold, coppery, and the same green as the gown. Grapevines are wound through the headpiece for effect along with copper and gold beading. The monarch butterfly wings are realistic in yellow/gold and brown. Sorry I don't have any photos of it. I haven't worn it to any Ren Faires. It was created for a fantasy event.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Finnian

Quote from: Queen_of_Navarre on February 23, 2010, 09:31:28 AM
I have a autumn queen / fairy godmother garb. The gown is bitter green with gold leaf embroidery. The head piece is silk leaves of gold, coppery, and the same green as the gown. Grapevines are wound through the headpiece for effect along with copper and gold beading. The monarch butterfly wings are realistic in yellow/gold and brown. Sorry I don't have any photos of it. I haven't worn it to any Ren Faires. It was created for a fantasy event.

WOW! It sounds lovely though! :)

Trillium

Since TRF runs in the fall, thru Halloween and to Thanksgiving, I've seen fall fae, halloween fae, and even winter or christmas fae (the last weekend has a christmas theme).  I've also seen some spring fae at Scarby.  Most of them are very nicely done and the theme is pretty obvious.  Some of the halloween ones can be too costumey for my tastes, but to each their own!
Got faerie dust?

Finnian

Yeah, I want it to be woodsy, and a bit unseelie looking, but not to the point where I look like I'm out trick or treating or going to a bad goth club. XD Xmas fae would be neat, I've wanted to make a krampus costume for a while. But not for faire. Lol.

dfloyd888

Quote from: Finnian on February 23, 2010, 07:16:11 PM
Yeah, I want it to be woodsy, and a bit unseelie looking, but not to the point where I look like I'm out trick or treating or going to a bad goth club. XD Xmas fae would be neat, I've wanted to make a krampus costume for a while. But not for faire. Lol.

Nothing wrong with a good goth club look... but a bad one... eep.

Finnian

LOL ^^ *add hot topic made $5 wings and giant platform boots*