News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What type of Faire

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, February 25, 2010, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I just viewed some pictures from BARF and it got me thinking - what type of Faire do you like:  Pemanent structure or not?

I thought that BARF had a real festive and quaint look to it.  Most of the smaller ones we have progressed to that are temporary are nice, but - well, small.   BARF looked fairly big.

We have been to several of the larger ones (ARF, Scarby, MRF (Minn), KCRF, CRF (Colorado)) and really like those, but I also would like to attend a faire like BARF.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

ItsTheBishop

BARF is probably a fairly decent mid-sized faire. It's not so tiny that you're constantly reminded it's small, but not so large as to be un-knowable. I only wish it were open for more than a month and a half.

RSLeask

Permanent structure.  I mean, the smaller faires are nice and fun and all, and usually have better interaction between people attending.  But I'm at the pub for more than half the day, and I prefer to feel like I'm at... a pub.  Not the local church festival's beer tent.

Don't get me wrong, though, as long as there's beer and stout, I'm happy either way... ;D  That's the real important stuff!
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: RSLeask on February 25, 2010, 05:12:21 PM
Permanent structure.  I mean, the smaller faires are nice and fun and all, and usually have better interaction between people attending.  But I'm at the pub for more than half the day, and I prefer to feel like I'm at... a pub.  Not the local church festival's beer tent.

Don't get me wrong, though, as long as there's beer and stout, I'm happy either way... ;D  That's the real important stuff!

Now that is a good point  8)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Molden

My answer is - I like 'em both, however - it does depend on the faire.

I originated at Texas Ren Fest, which I condsider the "grand-daddy of 'em all"... By that, I mean it is HUGE, has permanent structures, flushies, pays a great deal of attention to detail, has a large population of playtrons (those of us in garb that do it for the fun). I LOVE that place...then again, it has been and likely will always be my "home" faire. Also, the camping just outside of the gates is a BIG part - even a seperate part in ways of the experience.

I've been to other of the larger faires that I don't have the same fondness for. I won't mention those to avoid any arguements in the thread as everyone has their favorites for their own reasons. Nothing is served by bringing them up... 

Then there's CRF, a small (by comparison) permanent structured faire that has many of the top national entertainers at it which belies its decievingly small size. Scarby is an experience unto itself - it reminds me much of GARF in its size and amenities. Both have strong regional followings.

But I also LOVE BARF! Granted, I'm recognized as a patron "saint" there and I am just a little predjudiced... I will say that though it is a tented faire, I LOVE the spirit and people there! It's "vibe" reminds me a lot of another small tent/permanent structured faire - Excalibue when it was in Smithville, TX. I have been to none like it. It will always hold a special place with me...
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Lady Rebecca

I like the permanent structures better. It seems like they usually feel more realistic, particularly in the case of Sterling and OK Ren Fest in Muskogee. Plus, usually, permanent structures = better/larger bathrooms. So far, OK Ren Fest wins (the ones in the castle), followed by Scarby. I don't like to chance porta-privies in a farthingale.

Noble Dreg

MNRF is big, attendance similar to TRF but in a smaller area (crowded at times).  I guess you could call the structures "permanent" but some barely so!  :)

I also attend a tiny fair up north called Twig.  The only "permanent" structure there is the ticket booth, and I have sneaking suspicion it comes delivered on a truck with the port-o-pottys.  :)

To me the large fairs have a "Rolling Stones" concert feel to them, loud and brash.  You can let your hair down and get lost in the party.  Smaller "tent" fairs have a coffee shop gig feel to them, quieter and reflective.  If I was forced to choose only one...well bigger is better.  I am thankful I don't have to choose.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Athena

I prefer permanent structures myself, but there's so much more to a faire than that. I'm also fond of BARF, it's one of the most festive faires I've attended. It's a good sized faire as well, lots to see and do.

I've been to large faires with beautiful buildings and immaculate landscaping, and while the scenery was lovely, the overall feeling was sterile. On the flip side, I've been to smaller and/or tented faires that don't have much flash and sparkle, and had the time of my life. Each faire has its own flavor, regardless of size or architecture.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Butch

Wow, Athena hit it very nicely.  The large permanent ones are nice, but can feel a bit sterile.  The smaller ones are more personal, but lack the variety.

I think I prefer the larger ones, when all is said and done.  But, there is a lot of very nice goings-on at smaller faires.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Like Molden, TRF is my home faire.  It's big (53 acres) and can be a bit confusing at first but the sights, sounds, smells and that "vibe" set the stage for some of the most wonderful experiances.  You don't care that you're lost... wandering around is part of TRF.  Some of the buildings have been there for a long time, which lends to the atmosphere.  It's like pulling on a pair of old, broken in, shoes... comfortable.

The camping is another subject all together.   :D   
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Zardoz

My gut reaction to that question is that it should be about the people at faire, the cast, entertainment, playtrons etc.. not the 'facilities'.
But I'll see photo's from non permanent faires, and while the subject of the photos looks cool, you'll see a ez-up or steel roofed pavillion in the background, or a chain link fence around the jousting lanes.  I hate to say it, but that sort of deminishes the thing in my mind. Not that I would not want to go there, it's just a matter of what I'm used to,  I too think of TRF as my home faire, and I think it's size and atmosphere have kind of spoiled me.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Merlin

I'll always prefer filet mignon but a good old fashioned hamburger patty is good sometimes too.

Permanent is best but smaller ones with temps can be fun. I wont do multiple trips to the smaller ones like I do at the big permanent ones though.
I usually make 10-14 trips to Scarby each season.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

kcdcchef

me personally, i have mainly been to larger ones, KCRF, MNRF, PARF, NYRF, VARF, but i also appreciate the smaller ones i have went to once in a while too.

something about the permanent structures, and more than the structures, the way the faire has carved a niche into the forest over the course of many many years is what it's all about. like at kcrf, they have cared all the old tree stumps into artwork, some shops go through trees, incorporating their root structures into the store itself.

the established ones just seem so much more real.

Queen Bonnie

I like them all!  Each faire is so different. I love the smaller faires for the comraderie and the big ones for the flushies and all the excitement! LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: kcdcchef on February 26, 2010, 10:38:38 AM
me personally, i have mainly been to larger ones, KCRF, MNRF, PARF, NYRF, VARF, but i also appreciate the smaller ones i have went to once in a while too.

something about the permanent structures, and more than the structures, the way the faire has carved a niche into the forest over the course of many many years is what it's all about. like at kcrf, they have cared all the old tree stumps into artwork, some shops go through trees, incorporating their root structures into the store itself.

the established ones just seem so much more real.

I must say of the few faires I have been to, KCRF was really had a great atmosphere because of what you mentioned above.

I agree, there is much more to faire than the physical grounds, I was centering my comments/question around the grounds only.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell