News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

new sewing machine

Started by Auryn, February 26, 2010, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Well low and behold, I have become the happy handler of a Consew 206RB-5 through my dad.
The machine was bought for our regular business (boat building).
I need to learn how to use it as I will be responsible for doing a lot of stuff for the boats, but I will also be able to use it for my leather work.

I have the manual but I was hoping some of you awesome people could give me some first hand user advice/knowledge. Also any suggestions for any attachments that I should look into getting.

My first project I think is going to be a leather jacket- I've already made it in a brocade fabric and love it so I am thinking of making another one in red leather with matching gloves.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Auryn....

You can check with your local Shoe Repair shops as to what type of machines they use for Leather work. They would know what type of needles you would need, threads(thicker than normal), bobbins, feed dogs for heavy fabrics, etc. Taking your Machine Owner's manual with you might aid somone in steering you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde