News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My pewter tankard tastes funny

Started by Jessi, February 26, 2010, 11:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi

I bought a tankard at the thrift store. It is marked pewter. My boyfriend says that my mead tastes funny. Do I need to treat it or clean it in a special way?
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

Queen Bonnie

I have several pewter tankards. I just wash with soap and water. No problems with unusual tastes.  What kind of mead were you drinking?
Some kinds always taste funny! LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Carl Heinz

If it's an old tankard, you might also have lead in the mix.  I don't recall when lead was prohibited from pewter, but I can recall when pewter crafts people made a point of having lead free items.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Jessi

I don't have any idea what kind it was. He filled it while I wasn't looking and then had to have a taste, like his mug wasn't full!! :D

Any ideas how to guess at the age of the mug? This one is plainly stamped "pewter". I bought another one that has several different picture stamps. Does anyone have a link where I can look those up?
Jessi

Molden

...prolly shouldn't be eating your pewter tankard...just sayin'...  ;)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Zardoz

If I remember right, I think lead in pewter wasn't regulated till the mid 70's, I have 4 pewter mugs from faires in the late 70's- early 80's, but only one is marked "Lead Free" on the bottom. One of them says "100% Pewter", which I always thought was funny, since pewter is an alloy; originally  tin, lead and copper.  But now;  tin, antimony and copper or bismuth in 'modern pewter'.
 Older pewters with lead content are generally heavier, tarnish faster, and oxidation gives them a darker greyish or bluish silver color. I don't know that the amount of lead that might be in there would affect the taste, but lead intake is not good in any amount!
When I started getting back into faire several years ago, I broke out my "lead free" mug and scrubbed it out real good, But the first time I used it, I declared that it made my beer "taste pewtery" ???  I don't recall this being an issue back in the day, but I was pretty indifferent to what I drank back then too!
I have since got a nice stainless steel mug that has no such issues and is nice and shiney too!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Jack Daw at Work

I have a thick, lead-free pewter tankard.  There's no funny taste, but I have to be careful how cold the beer is, otherwise my lips might stick to the tankard rim.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Jessi

OK, the tankard in question is stamped on the bottom "Reed & Barton Pewter -P30"
Now the second one I mentioned has several different stamps on the side of the mug. I can't make out the first and the third, but the middle one looks like initials (rWp). Then under those it looks like "USA".

The maker or age is not all that important. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being poisioned (lead). Thanks.
Jessi

Taffy Saltwater

You can get lead testers from the hardware store. 
Sveethot!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Jessi on February 26, 2010, 04:35:19 PM
OK, the tankard in question is stamped on the bottom "Reed & Barton Pewter -P30"
Now the second one I mentioned has several different stamps on the side of the mug. I can't make out the first and the third, but the middle one looks like initials (rWp). Then under those it looks like "USA".

The maker or age is not all that important. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being poisioned (lead). Thanks.

The rWp may be Wilton - Armatelle?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

My son, who's got a bunch of pewter mugs, got an info sheet with one (a Wilton Armatale marked rWp), it says to first wash and air dry the mug, then fill the mug to the brim with the beverage of choice, and let it sit for a day.  Then, don't wash it again (you can rinse it).  It also suggests prefilling the mug with ice for 15 sec before emptying it and adding a beverage you wish to remain cold.

shadowcat546

**___**...I know the paper instructions that came with it may have recommended something.  I'm just giving back my $0.02, about what I would/wouldn't do with food & drink.  Hope your mug continues to be of service without funny aftertaste. --S

Hi.  As a re-enactor, I own, use, and sell quite  a bit of the stuff.
Your "maker mark" on the metal mug seems to be Revereware.  Hand wash!!, regular dishwashing soap.  Or "Barkeeper's friend" a non abrasive scouring powder (and or liquid) seen in cleaning aisle of groc or hardware stores. Wash, rinse well.  Revereware/"Wilton Armetale" does not like acidic foods, drinks.  I do not believe you have lead in your mug, but I wouldn't recommend leaving any liquid to sit in the mug for more than 1 hour (including water).
Brand new wilton armetale is still for sale at some stores near my hometown.  I happen to like the much more affordable prices of nearly-new.

(pulled from various websites, as I no longer have the instruction sheets for new Wilton Armetale vessels).
Wilton Armetale is a  fusion of 10 different metals, a sand-cast alloy that looks similar to pewter, but does not contain silver or pewter.   It imparts the warmth and patina of fine pewter.  It's an unique, non-toxic, food-safe metal that  looks like pewter but it's stronger, more durable and  has superior heat + cold retention ability.   The Wilton Armetale Co. from Lancaster County, Pa., is a  business founded in 1892 by Ralph  Wilton.  Some (exterior) "finishes" to the metal end up as shiny, some tarnish over age but often can be revived with scouring.
Also known as pewterex, carson statesmetal,  mock-pewter, or Revere-ware

I would not agree to these instructions...:"then fill the mug to the brim with the beverage of choice, and let it sit for a day.  Then, don't wash it again (you can rinse it). "

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask._____Shannon
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

Butch

Well, that was what was written on the instruction card included by Wilton.  Just passing it along!  As always, your mileage may vary.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I was always told that wash the armetale once with soap and water and not to use soap again - but then I used to eat lead paint chips off our window sill :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Jessi

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I should get some mead and try the 2 at home to and see if there is a difference in the way it tastes. Yes, that sounds like a plan. MORE mead!!! :D
Jessi