News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ascendance of a Legend

Started by Hey- Arent You?, March 07, 2010, 01:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey- Arent You?

The world is a much poorer place today.  The Greenman is parted from us.   Robin of Loxley, aka Robin in the Hood, Loosed his last arrow from a Kirklees window, and followed those who carried the name before him, through the veil. He walks again, in the forest of his forefathers.  Born Robert Thompson, he enriched the lives of everyone who knew him, and it was one of the greatest honors of my life, that this man called me friend. He always carried himself with a quiet pride & dignity, and those who knew him, know that he was the fiercest friend that one could ever hope to meet. His Honor, Integrity, Bravery, Passion, Courage and Humor were truly, the stuff that Legends & Hero's are made of.

He made you feel good, just being around him. He touched the lives of so many people, and made each and every one he touched, better for it. "Robinhood" was not a role he played, it was a standard he set.  It was an ideal he lived up to every day. It was the badge he wore. It was the banner he carried.  It was who he was. Robin made a DIFFERENCE, and he planted that seed in everyone he met. The burning desire to leave the world a better place than you found it.  And I can say without question, that he accomplished just that.  We should all be so lucky. And I know that if Robin had 1 wish, it would be that each and every one of you do something, every day, to make a difference, too.

Before you all clamor, "why didn't someone tell me", please understand that was HIS WISH. He did not want visitors, or sympathy.  He wanted to go the way that he had lived, quietly and privately and proudly.  He wished that he be remembered in all of your minds as that shining figure on a hill.  That he be remembered for the sly smile, the quick laugh, The deep and dancing eyes, and the message he carried.  Know that he remained strong and courageous until the very end.  Know that he was not alone, that his Wife, Anna, was with him every minute of his battle with cancer, and that the 2 of them were madly, deeply in love, and still are.  Robin truly found his Marion in her, and Anna's courage and strength stand as proof of that. And know, too... that he loved each and every one of you.  Robin cherished each and every one of the friendships and relationships he built over the years, and weather he talked to you every day, or once a year, you were precious to him.  There is a quote that Robin was particularly fond of, it hung on his wall in his home, and he spoke it often.   I will share it with you here.

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, And say my glory was I had such friends."   - William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

Please contact me if you wish to be informed about services and wakes. In the meantime, I suggest that you all light a candle & raise a toast, say a prayer of thanks that fortune allowed you to meet him, and go find someone to stand up for.  Make a difference.

The website is still up. Feel free to go there, look at the photos, feel the memories, smile and laugh.  Feel free to copy all the photos you like (right click, "save as")  www.legendsofsherwood.net.

Our Brother is Ascended. He is now one with Hern.

Yours in sorrow;
~Adam

The laughter in the leaves.

I am the face in the leaves,
I am the laughter in the forest
I am the king of the wood
And I am the blade of grass
That thrusts through the stone-cold clay
At the death of winter
I am before and I am after,
I am always until the end
I am the face in the forest,
I am the laughter in the leaves.

-Mike Harding
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Demetrius

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Well said, Hey- Aren't You?! Robin was and will always be a good friend to all of us. He was always friendly with everyone and he had a great smile. Thanks for letting us know- this is very sad news.

Our thoughts are with Anna and her family. We are going to miss him.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Radu the Gypsy

One of the brightest light at the festival.  I;d like to be kept in the loop on the service and wake please.

Robin, we shall cherish the memories of you.

Zoë

I'm so, so sorry to hear about this.  The world has lost another bright light.  I hope those who were close to him are doing okay, I'll be lighting a candle in his name. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Toki and I would like to give our sadness and thoughts to his family and those who knew him. I have seen Robin about every year as long as I can remember. I didn't know him with the exception of being intoduced to him and seeing him about. It is a sad day to lose one of our own and the world will be less without him.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

holierthanthou

Memories and thanksgiving for a legacy go out to the family and friends of our dear Robin of Locksley , Robert Thompson, whom we all lost today. The man was more than a dreamer, artist or role model. He was an inspiration and a true friend to all that knew him.  Even my daughter, who only met him once, was highly impressed by him.  He was the highlight of her cousin's wedding.
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Adriana Rose

Blessings and safe passage   :'(

Bryan Beard

Always a kind smile and warm word. We at joust camp truly had fond feelings for Robin. He carried himself with integrity. I am saddened by his loss but enriched and privileged to have called him friend and known him. Shoot straight my friend and God bless till we see each other again
Bryan Beard
Noble Cause Productions
Sir William, Lord of Whitehall

Tanda

My thoughts are with those closest to him. I wish them happy memories.
I'm a sad Tanda today. But will remember him fondly.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Capt Spleen

I was lucky to have talked with him this past year. He will be missed even as he and his woodland band would acoust me as if they would rob me. (guess i looked like I had money at one time at Faire)
Robin would give me the business about wearing blue and looking like a frilly boy. With his sly smile.
He was a friend.
Safe journey's my friend.

Blushing

I have been blessed just to know him.  And I treasure my memories.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

CapnJack

Wow, this really came as a shock to me, but after reading your post it does make sense.  I do feel lucky to have met him, and I'm sad that I never got to know him better.  Robin always intrigued me.  He had such a noble bearing and a quiet, peaceful way of speaking that nonetheless seemed to captivate any and all he spoke to.  He made you believe he really was Robin Hood.

I definitely feel blessed for having been able to meet him, and to see all of you perform.  Thanks again for posting this.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Avan

WOW. I was stunned yesterday when I heard about this.   I knew that he had issues for the past year and Bob Pelso(Friar Tuck) told me he wasn't doing well.   I was a true joy to see him for the little time he came out last year.   Robin was one of those truly great men that only a few can ever be.   He made you feel like you were a great friend and care about what you said even if it was the first time he met you.   

The Faire will be darker without his bright presence.

Zoë

I thought I would share this link with you all, these are pictures I took in 2006 during a Legends of Sherwood show.  I always enjoyed spending my lunch breaks watching the show.  Please feel free to take/distribute/whatever any of the pictures that you like.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v331/dramatic_mizfit/Renaissance%20Festival%202006/Legends%20of%20Sherwood/
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Hey- Arent You?

I just sent the e-mail with the details of Robins gathering. anyone who didn't receive it, and feels they want to, please ren-mail me.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

NelleMoorley

Gods all bless, Robin. Even to a shy little newbie, you were a hero and a friend.

I wish I could be at the memorial service, but I'll be in Boston with my sister. I will send my thoughts and love along with Steve, though.
Nelle Moorley