News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faires within driving distance?

Started by Raibeart OShea, March 08, 2010, 05:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raibeart OShea

RFers,
I figure this is the best place to ask, since web searching isn't one of my better skills...

Last year on Memorial Day, we took off to GARF and had a HUGE time.  We loved it.

This year, we're considering the possiblity of finding another fiare to attend that weekend, but it seems that all the faire directories have different faires listed and it gets a little confusing...

The question:  Are there any other faires within driving distance (8hrs +/-) from our beloved CRF?  We've got the 3 day weekend and would consider another faire if it's within a reasonabe distance.   Any suggestions?
Latha math dhuibh.
Raibeart O'Shea
HomeFaire: CRF
Attended: NCRF 09, GARF 09, 10
Plans to attend: Them ALL.

Feline Groovy

Try this map: http://www.faires.com/WorldMap.php  Don't know how all-inclusive it is these days but it used to be a huge help to me.  Good luck!
Where was I going and how do I get there?

Pharmar Greybeard & Maria

Georgia is a good choice. I've been looking at Tenn. It might be a little far epecially if I-40 is still closed.

dbaldock

According to Google Earth, the Virginia Renaissance Faire is 333 miles from CRF.

And, the Tennessee Renaissance Festival is 431 miles from CRF.  Since I'm in the Houston, TX area, I haven't heard anything about I-40 being closed.  So depending on traffic and detours, that could definitely cause the trip to be longer than 8 hours.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Pharmar Greybeard & Maria

Virginia is a good choice. I might try that myself.
I-40 follows a narrow pass at the NC/TN border. A large rockslide blocked the road 3 miles before the border several months ago. They hope to have it re-opened before summer.

Raibeart OShea

Looks like the choices would be VaRF, TnRF, or GaRF.  Of the 3, GaRF looks to be the largest, that is, with the most vendors and stages.  We'll likely head there again this year.  Last year we'd stayed close by at a hotel with a shuttle service so that when we stumbled out of the gates at the end of the day, there was no chance that our car would be too drunk to drive.  We'd like to do that again, but on the GaRF website, the only two hotels that show a shuttle service are the ones that are really close...there aren't any good restaurants close by...well, there is a BoJangles, but...right.  We may have to bite the bullet (or wallet) and stay further away and just get a minivan-taxi for the back and forth...
Latha math dhuibh.
Raibeart O'Shea
HomeFaire: CRF
Attended: NCRF 09, GARF 09, 10
Plans to attend: Them ALL.

renfairephotog

We have a festival map here http://www.renaissancefestival.com/festivals/map.php
There's plenty of restaurants ten minutes or do from TN Ren. But no shuttle service. Memorial day weekend is a joust tournament. But if !-40 still closed you'd have a long detour.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

A bunch of us invade VARF that weekend, its a small faire but a really nice faire and getting bigger and better every year! Come join us. ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

biggerstaff

If you should have the good wisdom to choose TnRF, please let us know you're coming. Hell, let me know you're coming. I'll do my best to have you haplessly abused...no that's helpfully used...wait...hopefully amused during your brief sojourn at the best faire around.

Elistariel

I saw this in an issue of Renaissance Magazine:
Highland Mary of Scots
June 25 - July 2, 2010 (Weekends only) 10am - 7pm
Admission: Check web site / Contact: Lost Elysium Artists,
Genevieve Schiele, PO Box 1253, Cashiers, NC 28717,
(828)734-2424, email: lostelysiumartists@yahoo.com /
Site: Village Green, Cashiers, NC / Booths: N/A / Attendance: N/A
Weapons must be peace tied / Call for information on lodging.

Cashiers is in the mountains.
There is no website. I've googled this. I can't find a thing on it. I have a friend who's going to try to go to it and take photos for me to let me know how it is. I've been to the Village Green website as well. Also no mention what so ever of this festival.