News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would 1st time visit to TRF+Camping=Total Insanity?

Started by SandrineDeLaTombe, May 04, 2010, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

my DH and I knew Duckie, who introducted us to El'.  This lead is to try out FoF stuff, which got us to know more local Rennies and RF people.  From there we did Rendevous, and we got to know many more people that way.  We had alot of fun that way. 

To be honest if you want to be left alone for a while these guys will let you.  They may come over and make sure you are alright, but once they get the gist you just want some peace, they will  give you as much or little as you want.  ;D

I will say this Rennie's can be very overwhelming in their outgoingness.  If I wasn't use to it from dealing with theater people I might have run the other way.   ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Hercules

A brief synopsis of my 2009 TRF maiden voyage:
I too was a TRF virgin last year. It was suggested (OK I was told) to camp. Soooo I rented a camper and attended opening weekend with a willing wench.

A cold front blew in and a typhoon followed me all the way from Dallas to Conroe that Friday. I outran the typhoon  just as I hit Conroe and was able to set up the camper. Then the weather threw a hissy-fit. Cold, rainy, nasty. We found positions...uum ways to keep warm.

Drums started at night fall. And went non-stop until 3am.

Morning time. It was 40 freakin degrees. Walked to the front gate in the mud. DAYUM left the tickets in the camper.  >:(

The day went nice. Ate like crazy. Garbed up my lady. Watched the shows. Enjoyed the fireworks.

Climbed into bed to the beat of drums again. And the drums continued....ALL night long. Along with yelling, screaming and occasional cries of passion. Not one second of sleep.

Next two trips we stayed in a hotel.

This year I've been asked to try camping again. And even though it was kinda of a P.I.A. I think we'll camp once again for the experiance.  ;D

Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Mouse

My own personal opinion of it is try it at least once. Could be like me and totally love it, though I share a few experiences akin to Hercules'. I wouldn't want to try it any other way, but then again I could sleep through a bombardment, but for me it's the atmosphere, and generally who you camp near. But seeing as you know a whole heaping of us, we got you covered.
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie

"MOUSE,n. "Animalistic man-child which strews it's path with fainting woman"....less so these days :)

SandrineDeLaTombe

Thanks for the note, Hercules.  This is the kind of information I definitely wanted. I can only imagine how bad the noise will be if Halloween weekend is one of the busiest, and I'm hoping some ear plugs might help. :) Even the slightest noises will wake me up and keep me awake. I'll have to be drunk AND exhausted to fall asleep with drumming going on all night.
I aim to misbehave

Mouse

Easily done and usually the case..if not, you aren't doing it right.

"MOUSE,n. "Animalistic man-child which strews it's path with fainting woman"....less so these days :)

SandrineDeLaTombe

I aim to misbehave

eldatari

My hubby always uses earplugs and sleeps through the night.  If you are at all a light sleeper they are a must.

Rapier Half-Wit

Quote from: Hercules on May 19, 2010, 04:26:21 PM
A brief synopsis of my 2009 TRF maiden voyage:
I too was a TRF virgin last year. It was suggested (OK I was told) to camp. Soooo I rented a camper and attended opening weekend with a willing wench.

A cold front blew in and a typhoon followed me all the way from Dallas to Conroe that Friday. I outran the typhoon  just as I hit Conroe and was able to set up the camper. Then the weather threw a hissy-fit. Cold, rainy, nasty. We found positions...uum ways to keep warm.

Drums started at night fall. And went non-stop until 3am.

Morning time. It was 40 freakin degrees. Walked to the front gate in the mud. DAYUM left the tickets in the camper.  >:(

The day went nice. Ate like crazy. Garbed up my lady. Watched the shows. Enjoyed the fireworks.

Climbed into bed to the beat of drums again. And the drums continued....ALL night long. Along with yelling, screaming and occasional cries of passion. Not one second of sleep.

Next two trips we stayed in a hotel.

This year I've been asked to try camping again. And even though it was kinda of a P.I.A. I think we'll camp once again for the experiance.  ;D

Sounds like a normal weekend to me. Which part was a problem for you?  ;D
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Tink

For light sleepers, there is always the family camp.  You can still have fun and visit with everyone, just travel a bit further down the road (walking distance) to family camp, where it's nice and quiet (at least that's what I've been led to believe- I haven't camped there myself).  I still recommend earplugs, as well.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rapier Half-Wit

Quote from: Tink on May 19, 2010, 10:06:23 PM
For light sleepers, there is always the family camp.  You can still have fun and visit with everyone, just travel a bit further down the road (walking distance) to family camp, where it's nice and quiet (at least that's what I've been led to believe- I haven't camped there myself).  I still recommend earplugs, as well.

It's quiet if you don't count the mile long train that roles through the "quiet family camp ground" every night about midnight.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Tink

Quote from: Rapier Half-Wit on May 19, 2010, 10:13:42 PM
Quote from: Tink on May 19, 2010, 10:06:23 PM

It's quiet if you don't count the mile long train that roles through the "quiet family camp ground" every night about midnight.

*doh!*  Didn't know about the midnight train rolling through (guess camp's too loud to hear it lol)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

The Steel Dragon has ways of letting it's presence be known...

The McLot camp USUALLY quiets down between 12-1... that's when the flood lights get turned off and everyone gangs around the fires.  It may be near the main drum circle but you barely hear it.  If you do, take another couple of shots of Loki... all will be well. ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Mouse

I remember the first year I camped it wasn't the drum circle that I heard all night. We camped near...someone, not sure who, it was a huge place, rugs everwhere inside a huge tent like thing, and the orc drum...I call it the orc drum playing all night. I went to bed dreaming about the orc song in the Return of the King animated adaptation....I may have come out of it with bags under my eyes, but I fell in love with camping that night. That was also the night of the Peabody incident, me climbing Mt. Shiner, the invasion of the Chinese Lanterns and my subsequent freak out, Red and the case of the Dead Hand followed in coming years by the coming of Gustav Santiago and his magical bottle of Absinthe, all of this adding to it...I ramble. Point is, I hope you love the camping and the good outweigh the bad. If Scary had adjacent camping I would be doing that for every faire without a doubt.

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on May 20, 2010, 07:29:57 AM
The Steel Dragon has ways of letting it's presence be known...

The McLot camp USUALLY quiets down between 12-1... that's when the flood lights get turned off and everyone gangs around the fires.  It may be near the main drum circle but you barely hear it.  If you do, take another couple of shots of Loki... all will be well. ;)

Yes, we do try to be quiet  :P

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Mouse

You guys seemed pretty tame when I was there...me thinks I wasn't there long enough.