News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would 1st time visit to TRF+Camping=Total Insanity?

Started by SandrineDeLaTombe, May 04, 2010, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandrineDeLaTombe

I've threatened to make the trek down to TRF for at least five years, this year I'm determined to make it happen. Normally I would opt for a hotel for the weekend, but money concerns and my new spouse's willingness to partake in camping might make that the more viable option. My shyness/lack of social skills means I don't really have any faire friends, so it would really just be the two of us.  My biggest question: is there a good weekend to choose that tends to be better weather-wise? I've lived in Texas long enough to know the weather can be unpredictable, but there are still trends to be observed.

My only other big question is can you drive your car right up to your camp site? Or is the parking lot set off from the actual camping area?

Thanks for any and all help!

I aim to misbehave

Merlin

Quote from: SandrineDeLaTombe on May 04, 2010, 06:10:37 PM
I've threatened to make the trek down to TRF for at least five years, this year I'm determined to make it happen. Normally I would opt for a hotel for the weekend, but money concerns and my new spouse's willingness to partake in camping might make that the more viable option. My shyness/lack of social skills means I don't really have any faire friends, so it would really just be the two of us.  My biggest question: is there a good weekend to choose that tends to be better weather-wise? I've lived in Texas long enough to know the weather can be unpredictable, but there are still trends to be observed.

My only other big question is can you drive your car right up to your camp site? Or is the parking lot set off from the actual camping area?

Thanks for any and all help!

Wait a tick... you were too shy to speak to any of us at Scarby.... yet you dare camp at TRF?

Holy Moly !

lol

I too am going to try and attend TRF for the first year... most likely getting a hotel room though.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

SandrineDeLaTombe

Lol, that's kind of another reason why I'm asking, Merlin.  Would camping in this sort of environment be complete heck for someone painfully shy who hates talking to strangers? (Seriously, I'm almost 30 years old, you'd think I would have gotten over some of this eventually.)
I aim to misbehave

angusmacinnes

Merlin, this is where I stayed last year
Homewood Suites by Hilton
29813 IH-45N
Shenandoah , TX 77381
Ph: 281-681-9199

It was a great place and only about 20 minutes to faire.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Merlin

Quote from: angusmacinnes on May 04, 2010, 07:29:28 PM
29813 IH-45N
Shenandoah , TX 77381

Thanks cousin.... bookmarked.

Blue66669

Clan McLotofus as well as Phoenix Risen are made up of RF Members. You could see about camping with either one of those groups. You know, safety in numbers and all...
Blaidd Drwg

MacKee

Quote from: Merlin on May 04, 2010, 07:34:47 PM
Quote from: angusmacinnes on May 04, 2010, 07:29:28 PM
29813 IH-45N
Shenandoah , TX 77381

Thanks cousin.... bookmarked.

Ha ha, not necessary! We have a one room suite reserved for Merlin at the Nantucket Inn!!!

Can't wait to see ya at TRF brother!
The Order of Culloden Moor

Rapier Half-Wit

As you are so shy, I would think that you might want to stay away from camping any weekend at TRF. There would be people there. And most of them are very friendly. And you take a huge risk of being spoken to in a most friendly way by nearly thousands of people. And that just wouldn't do. No No. Just wouldn't do.

hehehe

But I suppose that beats the alternative of being treated badly by hoards of people. But I am also assuming that you wouldn't like that either.

hehehe

The funny thing about people is, that many of them will either leave you alone, if not down right ignore you if you don't address them first. Most rennies I have found are very libertarian in their behaviors. Leave others alone and they will leave you alone. We have this tendency to meet each other in a sort of middle ground. No one will intrude upon your personal space, where we are not wanted or invited.

Just do yourself one favor. Take the chance that you might just enjoy yourself. You'll never know until you do.

I hope you choose to give us the chance.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Merlin

Ha ha, not necessary! We have a one room suite reserved for Merlin at the Nantucket Inn!!!

[/quote]

Perhaps Brother Fraser will make it past 2:00 this time?

My target weekend right now is opening weekend.

Liraaf

It's easy to be shy and camping.  One can be lost in the crowd quite easily and comfortably.  I do it all the time.  (I have written more words here than ever spoke at the faire.)   ;D

The camping is in a big field and unmarked.  The nearest to the wall sections are pretty much taken by various clans.  But the further back one gets, the more smaller groups and one person sites start appearing.  One simply finds an open area, throws up a tent and begin the camping.  Try not to block anyone in with the car though and be aware that way back in the trees one can get blocked in somewhat (people is stupid.)

Tink

Quote from: SandrineDeLaTombe on May 04, 2010, 07:22:11 PM
Lol, that's kind of another reason why I'm asking, Merlin.  Would camping in this sort of environment be complete heck for someone painfully shy who hates talking to strangers? (Seriously, I'm almost 30 years old, you'd think I would have gotten over some of this eventually.)

Warmest greetings, Sandrine!

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago.  Wanted to camp, but didn't know anyone, and was (still am) incredibly shy around strangers.  I happened upon the group known as The Green Flame, headed by Scout Colt (an R/F member) and Robin (not sure if she's a member, but she is well known -in a good way- around TRF) Anyway, they welcomed me in with open arms, provided a safe place to camp and wonderful companionship.  (And, if it wasn't for them, I would not have met my husband)

They are always welcoming new guests and members, so I would fully advise searching them out! :)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Kehle

I'm also very shy and have camped without any strange social issues coming up. In fact I think I mostly went unnoticed. My first time camping I set up in the middle of McLotofus because I knew them from the forums and trusted them, so I felt safe surrounded by them, even if they didn't notice I was there.  At least I think I was in the middle of them. I saw on the forums where they planned to set up and got there on a Friday and staked my spot where they said. I had no problems and was able to remain shy. To this day they still don't know me, and I'll probably set up among them again this year.

Moral of the story. It's okay to be shy and still camp, you won't have any issues with the other campers.

Just spy (lurk/stalk) on others here on the forums and you can find out where they'll be and you can be there too without having to talk to them about it.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Merlin on May 04, 2010, 09:42:30 PM

Perhaps Brother Fraser will make it past 2:00 this time?

My target weekend right now is opening weekend.
[/quote]

HA!  I closed camp both nights at All Hallow's Eve... and drank more than at Scarby, just not 18 shots in less than an hour.

Merlin, you need to aim for AHE... that's when the freaks come out of the woodwork...err, i mean it's the most "colorful" and you should feel right at home. ( you freak ):D

AHE is like Woodstock mixed with the Burning Man festival... just a bit better behaved and not as much music.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Kehle on May 04, 2010, 10:57:10 PM
I'm also very shy and have camped without any strange social issues coming up. In fact I think I mostly went unnoticed. My first time camping I set up in the middle of McLotofus because I knew them from the forums and trusted them, so I felt safe surrounded by them, even if they didn't notice I was there.  At least I think I was in the middle of them. I saw on the forums where they planned to set up and got there on a Friday and staked my spot where they said. I had no problems and was able to remain shy. To this day they still don't know me, and I'll probably set up among them again this year.

Moral of the story. It's okay to be shy and still camp, you won't have any issues with the other campers.

Just spy (lurk/stalk) on others here on the forums and you can find out where they'll be and you can be there too without having to talk to them about it.

Just for that, i will purposely track you down!  lol.  I AM one of the Member Liasons for McLotofus and should know my peeps!
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Honestly, Sandrine, if you camp with one of the big clans (McLot, P.R. etc)  they will make you feel welcome... they'll feed ya and booze ya until you say when, help you with your camp, check your garb for malfunctions and make sure your stuff is still there when you come back or leave you alone, if that is what you wish.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with social masturbation... but it's been known to cause blindness to the wonders of camp.  :D ;D

*and you may miss out on a wonderful thing known as LOKI*  ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God