News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loaning Garb

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, June 19, 2010, 07:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosamundi

I think the "junk garb" bin is a brilliant idea!

When I first went to faire on an office outing (that was a cool office!), my co-worker opened up her garb wardrobe to my husband and me.  I was so touched by her generosity that I am collecting "guest garb" for friends and visitors. 

Thrift stores are great:  with a little digging you can build a circle-skirt, poet-shirt, shawl-at-the-waist outfit for less than $10 and have no emotional attachment to it. Granted, it's not jaw-droppingly great garb, but those who don't tote their own aren't likely to be super picky.

That said, SHAME SHAME and FIE on those who would return your garb stinky or dirty! I trust their mothers would not be proud.
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Marietta Graziella

What fortuitous timing on this thread...   Just yesterday I was asked by a friend of a friend if she could borrow some garb.  I said I might have something she could wear but did not commit to anything.   After spending the day with her I am a bit concerned...  She is, shall we say, rather lively and animated when she has been drinking.  I would be concerned about anything I loaned to her getting damaged and dirty just from her behaviour!  Yikes! :-\
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Aunty Lou

When a friend decided her bachelorette would be at Faire, I made us all purple wench bodices with different trimmings, and skirt to match the trim, and bloomers and blouses.  We looked really good!  Since, the garb (And other garb that has accumulated) has clothed other Faire-goers, and any number of Shakesperean plays...  I never lend to strangers or casual aquaintances, and the theater always gets an inventory list. (I borrow from other theaters in the same fashion - always an inventory to check against)  And I, too, want to clean them myself...  The garb I wear myself never goes on another's back...

sealion

I've only lent things to immediate family members then cleaned them myself. I don't think I would ask or trust others to properly clean the garments after wearing. Even though most of my things are washable I am very particular about how they are washed and dried.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Adriana Rose

NEVER!!!!!!!

I never lend out anything! Call me a mean person but I put too much into it to lend out and get beat up!

Dinobabe

I only lend to VERY close friends and VERY close family!!!
So far that includes mom and the guy that married us! :D

Call me a cynic but I just don't trust anyone!  If I can't get a pencil back in good condition what do I think will happen to my garb!  I put too much time, effort, and money into it to chance it.

Though I suppose if you were torn the collateral is a GREAT idea!  You have my stuff, I have your stuff!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Finnian

I loaned garb once, it came back sweat stained, with...what I hope was BBQ sauce on it (it was a white fabric), and otherwise all wrinkly. The stains never came out needless to say. So I no longer loan stuff. Then again I'm tiny so most of my friends are too big for most of my gear. Obviously things like my faun legs ONLY fit me, cause they were cast to my legs for fittings, and don't stretch. I suppose that first bad taste left in my mouth has kept me from letting people borrow things.

Queen Bonnie

I had a very sad experience loaning garb. Never again!!!- I have had good luck with Very Dear friends on the few occasions I lent it again. But loaning any garb you care about is a bad idea. Most faires rent garb!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

ladylissame

My rogue and I only loan to good friends and family, and if we are going with them. Our friend who just borrowed garb to wear Saturday is cleaning my garb before giving it back.  ;D And depending on the person would depend on if they got garb that I still wear but am not wearing that day or if they get the garb I no longer wear.

Dinobabe

Just a quick story.  I loaned one of my grandpa's shirts to the minister.  His wife said I shouldn't because he will spill something on it.  I was like "Naahh".  Low and behold with about 1 hour of faire to go he spilled a great big gob of chocolate down the front!  Luckily the shirt is washable and cleaned up just fine.  Though he couldn't stop apologizing.  I love this man and his family TO DEATH!  If it weren't for that... :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Natasha, my mom is the exact same way. I know not to loan anything that's not 100% washable, or that I am 100% certain I won't wear again.

My MIL, OTOH, I swear has never in her life spilled, dropped, broken, or torn anything. I'd be constantly humiliated in her presence if she weren't also one of my favorite people on the planet. She has her own garb now, but I've happily loaned to her several times in the past, knowing everything would come back even BETTER than I sent it out! LOL

Dinobabe

Quote from: gem on June 24, 2010, 01:12:08 PM
Natasha, my mom is the exact same way. I know not to loan anything that's not 100% washable, or that I am 100% certain I won't wear again.

My MIL, OTOH, I swear has never in her life spilled, dropped, broken, or torn anything. I'd be constantly humiliated in her presence if she weren't also one of my favorite people on the planet. She has her own garb now, but I've happily loaned to her several times in the past, knowing everything would come back even BETTER than I sent it out! LOL

;D ;D ;D ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

FortuneRose

I am going to come off as horrible ..but..never ever EVER again will I loan my stuff to anyone.  First time I did, it was my own sister who got herself rather giddy after some drinks and tromped all over the skirts of her own AND the train on the dress I was currently wearing.  While nothing got ruined, I spent the rest of the day babysitting my garb, for fear of turning my head and RIIIIP... 

Second time was my mother in law (before she was my MIL) who stained a white chemise with the dye that transfered from a leather corset she bought that day (I sent her that day wearing a fabric bodice that was mine and doesn't transfer dye).  The 2 skirts she borrowed weren't damaged but stunk horribly of cigarettes and after seeing the chemise, I didn't even want her attempting to wash the skirts...I told her to just give them to me as is and I'd clean them.  The chemise, she felt badly about, so she gave me the money that it had cost.

I have loaned out pieces to my mom for dressing up at work around Halloween, but she has more respect for my items.  When I still lived at home, she would watch as I handmade certain items...so she has more understanding of why I take care of my garb as well as I do.  When she has borrowed them I have always said "Be VERY careful" but she knows...  and they always come back clean, folded, and unharmed.
LLVW

gem

QuoteSecond time was my mother in law (before she was my MIL) who stained a white chemise with the dye that transfered from a leather corset she bought that day (I sent her that day wearing a fabric bodice that was mine and doesn't transfer dye).

I have to say that I've had a lot of trouble with this issue on garb not made by me (apparently some of the garbmongers don't pre-wash their lining fabrics). It's not such a big deal if you're wearing a white shirt/chemise and can use RIT dye remover... but what do you do when you get dye transfer on a colored shirt?  OT grumble....

Tink

I only have wenchy/ peasant garb right now, so I'm not too worried about it getting messed up, but I've only leant to people that were going with me to whatever event it was.  I don't think I'd be too keen about lending anything to someone I didn't know very well, regardless of the class.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare