News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Much Ado bodice construction question: buttons?

Started by gem, July 02, 2010, 03:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm using my standard bodice pattern for the Much Ado bodices, but I'm finding myself a little stumped about how to alter it so that it buttons up the front instead of lacing.  Logic tells me, "just expand each front piece by an inch or so, and put the buttons/buttonholes there," but when I actually sit down to manipulate the thing, I confuse myself.

Here's the image of what I'm trying to make:

And here's the original bodice I made the pattern from (new version is has the neckline cut down to be closer to the underbust shape). I'll try to get a picture of the mockup, but there are some computer issues to be resolved first.

So I cut each front about 2" wider at the lacing edge, so I could figure out where to put the buttons, but I can't figure out how to make sure that I put them in the right place so that it fits properly.

Is this a stupid question?  Can you answer it anyway? LOL!

Gramercy!!

LadyShadow

Maybe put false buttons on the top and those skirt clasp thingies between the layers to grab and hold it shut?

edited to find a picture of what I was meaning.  ::)
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Kate XXXXXX

Lap one front over the other and mark the center line.  This is where the buttons should go.

Butch

I have done this in the past:

Lap the front over.  Mark the front piece where you want it finished.  Finish the edge of the front piece.  Mark and make your buttonholes.  Re-lap the front over, and mark through the buttonholes and that is where your buttons belong.

gem

I want to thank everyone for their answers. I did finally manage to get it sorted out (I think), but then I had troubles with my buttonholer, so I still haven't gotten to this point!

However, I found an excellent tutorial on About.com that addresses this very question, so I thought I'd post the link:

http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/library/aatech0703a.htm

(I was actually looking for tips on machine sewing a buttonhole without relying on the automatic function when I ran across this.)