News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Writing about the Faire

Started by Aaroncois, July 09, 2010, 12:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaroncois

Hey folks! I decided to make my blog article today a reflection both on Sterling's opening weekend and, more, on the Faire in general. I thought some of you might enjoy reading it. So here it is:

http://virtualvellum.blogspot.com/2010/07/sterling-renaissance-festival.html

For those who may have missed it, I also wrote about Mock Faire Day recently.

Lastly, here's an older article I wrote about my son's seeming fascination with learning to be the next Giacomo the Jester.

Anybody else have or know of good articles of this sort to share?

irish

Nice article!
TY for sharing.... :)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Ozium

Great blogs, just finished reading them.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Tygrkat

Quote from: irish on July 09, 2010, 08:08:48 PM
Nice article!
TY for sharing.... :)

Yeah, what she said...I really enjoyed reading those  :)
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Lady Amy of York

Excellent article.  You described  the " spirit" of  Sterling quite  well. Thanks  for  sharing.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Aaroncois

Thanks, everyone. So glad you enjoyed them. If you should come across anyone else writing about the festival, please share!

Celtic_Fae

Loved your blog! So glad to see another Empty Hats fan.

If you haven't already, you can become a fan of both Empty Hats and Carl's solo work on Facebook. I noticed you mentioned that Empty Hats needed a new CD out...well, I have some good news for you. Carl, at least, will have a new solo CD out some time this year, if all goes as planned. By becoming a fan on Facebook, you can stay up to date on the progress, even after the faire is over, and be able to order it once released.

Aaroncois

Thanks, Kathryn - I do have them both fanned on FB. I actually asked Carl about the new recording when I saw him last week and he seemed cautiously optimistic about an October release. From the sound of it, though, it's not something that you'd want to put money on.

I don't actually have any of his solo albums. Are they similar to his work with Double Indemnity/Empty Hats (perhaps along the lines of "If it's a Rose (Then it will Bloom)")? Or is it very different?

Celtic_Fae

Carl's solo albums grow in depth during each new release. I'm not really allowed to divulge anything until the actual album release, but this new album is nothing like the others...the reason for the delay in release (we were hoping for a Sterling release, now it's tentatively October) is that this new CD is going to be EPIC! I've heard some rough cuts so far and have been blown away by them! Some of the songs are from his ballads sets (not previously recorded on other solo CDs) but with full instrumental and vocal additions behind them. They're still organic in that they haven't been warped by studio influence and enhancement, but on an entirely different level than in person and in his previous works.

Aaroncois

I'm sure the production values will be high. I have a very hard time finding other Renn Faire/Celtic bands to listen to because Carl and his bands (going back to Double Indemnity) always sound so polished. It's spoiled me.

I probably ought to look up his solo stuff and see if I can find some samples of the music someplace. As much as I enjoy Carl's work with Double Indemnity and Empty Hats, it's no guarantee I'll like his solo stuff unless it's at least passingly similar.

Celtic_Fae

You can find full tracks on his fan page.

Aaroncois