News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Absolute "must haves" for renaissance music

Started by Mairte, July 10, 2010, 01:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

I have a little bit but wanting to build a larger collection of renaissance themed music. Any ideas?

chainshot

How about starting with the basics such as Blackmore's Night and Loreena McKennitt?

Mairte

I do have Loreena McKenitt, Blackmores Night, Enya and some Nightwish. :)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Wine and Alchemy (and a bit earlier E Muzeki)
Circa Paleo
Tartanic
Rogues
Gypsy Nomads
Enter the Haggis

So many more

Check out the renaissance music podcast on iTunes
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Renee Buchanan

Jesse Linder
Three Pints Gone
Dan the Bard
Rambling Sailors
Bounding Main
Empty Hats
Molly & The Tinker
Water Street Bridge
New Minstrel Revue
Seelie Court - no longer together, but great CDs
Michael O'Quinn
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Mairte

Yep, I have to go with the cds because I am behind the times and dont have an ipod. Ah well. :)
Thanks so much, this gives me a great variety to look for!
Are there any online places people recommend to buy the cds?

Prof. John Bull

The recommendations thus far are excellent as far as "fest music" is concerned.

H/A music is another matter.  Not sure which you want, but I can dredge up some H/A music titles and links if that's what you're after.

For fest music, the podcast is excellent, and you can listen from your computer if you don't have an ipod.

insidiousraven

I found this band when looking for information on period instruments.  They're from Europe, but they are awesome!!  Pretty popular too.  Their Myspace page also has links to other great bands.

http://www.myspace.com/musicaperegrin

I've been trying to figure out a way to get ahold of their MP3s or a CD, but I can't find a way to get it from the states.  :(  :(  I really like them.

uncletimcobleigh

For the real deal H/A period music, some of my favorites are:

Piffaro
Hesperus
Baltimore Consort
Voice of the Turtle
Istanpitta
Ivory Consort

Yes, I actually like the stuff. Istanpitta does play faires, and in garb.

Mairte

Prof. John Bull, I am definitely interested in historically accurate music as well as non historic. Any ideas are very welcome! Thank you.:)
My biggest problem now is knowing WHERE to get the music. Where I live is 40 miles away from the nearest big town so I generally order online.(Amazon or ebay usually but not sure if they would have any of this, might have to go to a specialty store?)

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: Mairte on July 12, 2010, 04:20:20 PM
Prof. John Bull, I am definitely interested in historically accurate music as well as non historic. Any ideas are very welcome! Thank you.:)
My biggest problem now is knowing WHERE to get the music. Where I live is 40 miles away from the nearest big town so I generally order online.(Amazon or ebay usually but not sure if they would have any of this, might have to go to a specialty store?)

Many of the artists listed have their CDs for sale on their respective pages. Usually you can find their webpages (and stores) simply by typing in the artists' names.

renfairephotog

Try http://www.modernbard.org they list many renaissance artists with links to where you can buy their cds. many are on http://www.cdbaby.com/
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

You can also listen to the Renaissance Festival Podcast at  www.renaissancefestivalmusic.com You don't need an Mp3 player. You can download to your computer. It's a bi weekly podcast that plays various artists. They even post thier show note so you know what on the show you can find notes on the forum Here
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Mairte

I really appreciate this everyone. I was kind of lost on the issue of actually getting the cds.
Now I am armed with plenty of info. THANK YOU!!!!