News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Overdoing it?

Started by Doberman, July 27, 2010, 01:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArielCallista

I enjoy being rather jingly...but as for the everything but the kitchen sink on the belt, thats not for me...I don't see the purpose in having so much on it unless you're going to use it..I only have 2 things on my belt that are mostly for decoration...my tail and my flogger. My flogger was an addition this year...beyond that I have 1 pouch or 2 depending on whether or not i bring my camera, and a mug. I can see needing a few pouches, and a weapon is cool, and I totally get fans, but I don't see the need in some of the stuff on some peoples belts.

As for favors, I really liked the idea originally and i made some, but i hardly ever gave them away and never recieved any so it turned out pointless..Since then i kinda gave up on favors.

Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 29, 2010, 12:15:40 AM
Wow... 5 pages in just under two days!  I'd say someone was trolling to see how many flaming responses he could get in a short amount of time, but I suppose that could be taken as an incendiary remark in itself, so I guess I'd better not, eh?  Oh, well... I could be wrong.  It's happened before...  ;)  :D 

I am of a like mind Rani.  I'm waiting for all the negative vibes to leave a few threads on this forum.  How about we start some threads such as "What other fun things can we add to our garb?" and "Things that are beautiful about the people of faire!"
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Will Gamwell

I haven't ever really cared what anyone else has for costume/accessories.  Of coarse if you do work at the Faire and are wearing something that is very obviously modern, you may get a strange look. 

In reading this thread I have thought back on all the entertainers that I've seen and even those that were "over doing it", their accessories had a purpose.  I've seen people with an outrageous amount of stuff on their belt and strapped across their back.  Most were musicians.  An instrument or two, a pouch or three, a mug, a basket for tips & CDs they were selling . . .etc.  While there was a lot of things there, they all had a purpose.  They were all used.

I've seen one completely outrageous person that had WWAAAAAAAYYYY to much on.  But, it fit his character.  And it was how he interacted with paytrons.  He did it very well.  It made his character complete.

Sean

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Will Scarlet on July 29, 2010, 09:15:44 AM
In reading this thread I have thought back on all the entertainers that I've seen and even those that were "over doing it", their accessories had a purpose.  I've seen people with an outrageous amount of stuff on their belt and strapped across their back.  Most were musicians.  An instrument or two, a pouch or three, a mug, a basket for tips & CDs they were selling . . .etc.  While there was a lot of things there, they all had a purpose.  They were all used.
I've seen one completely outrageous person that had WWAAAAAAAYYYY to much on.  But, it fit his character.  And it was how he interacted with paytrons.  He did it very well.  It made his character complete.
Sean
Excellent point.  
  I flashed on the old 'one man band' guy from the 19th century.  You know; Drum, banjo, cymbals on his knees, a whistle, etc., made a somewhat musical noise as he walked?  It makes sense to think that they had someone like this in the middle ages.
 In those days,  most trinket vendors at fairs and joust events worked the crowds with a tray for their goods, like the peanut guy at the ballpark.
 I expect to see some characters loaded down with stuff.  
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

Wow... 5 pages in just under two days!  I'd say someone was trolling to see how many flaming responses he could get in a short amount of time, but I suppose that could be taken as an incendiary remark in itself, so I guess I'd better not, eh?  Oh, well... I could be wrong.  It's happened before...  ;)  :D 

I thought I was wrong once, turned out I was wrong.   (snicker) ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 29, 2010, 08:46:01 AM

I am of a like mind Rani.  I'm waiting for all the negative vibes to leave a few threads on this forum.  How about we start some threads such as "What other fun things can we add to our garb?" and "Things that are beautiful about the people of faire!"

Those both sound like fun threads, Bonny!  :D  Sometimes it's good to have a space to let off a little steam, as long as it's not done in a way that's hurtful or mean spirited... but I do much prefer those places (and threads) that lift us all up and make us smile! 

I have, however, really enjoyed reading about all the fun and interesting things people carry around with them at Faire, so there is at least some positive here!  It makes me want to meet everyone and check out all their cool sounding stuff!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Oh, now she sounds like someone I'd like to meet!!!  I love to see all the cool little things someone has collected over the years, and hear the stories behind them, or how they were made, what their relevance is to the character... all the little things that make up a really fascinating back story!  Particularly if that story is told in character...  :D  As a Gypsy, I get to carry various things with me that might have had their origins in far distant, exotic lands, and they don't all have to be things that I might use on a daily basis, since trading was such a large part of the Gypsy lifestyle.  I can also get away with having the odd treasure or two, and explain it away as an item traded from a Noble Lady in exchange for a potent charm, positive reading or some sort of intricate craft work.  I also love my favor sash, but I don't wear it when I perform, only when I'm at play...  ;)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rowan MacD

Ok.  I thinking we need a photo thread.....for the most accessorized.  
   Show yer pictures to prove that you have:
 1) most favors
 2) most faire pins  
 3) most things suspended from a belt (without falling over)
 4) most interesting arrangments of any or all of the above.
 5) most or most interesting bodice adornments
 6) outrageous trims

and the list can get as long as we want!
  Oh what fun!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Butch

At the faire, I am very minimalist.  A common sailor.  I carry a belt pouch, a sheathed knife, and a small leather bag.  I also hand carry a tin cup covered in knotwork.  No decorations, save the R/F pin on my thrum cap.

My son, on the other hand, has 3 pouches hanging from his belt, usually 5 pewter mugs and a pouch on his walking stick, a nicely decorated doublet with much ribbon, cord, and brass buttons, and a flat cap decorated in phesant feathers and badger fur.

So, to each their own, I guess!

Valiss

As someone previously posted a few pages back, there does seem to be a cycle or even a bell curve in the average actors costume life. For many, when you start, you're new and probably lacking sufficiant funs to outright buy a full garb with all the gear you like. Then as time goes on you purchase more and more, bulding up a costume (and character to a degree). After a couple of years, you're filled to the gills in pins, buttons and ribbons, not to mention a belt that has enough stuff hanging on it to sink you to the bottom of the Marianas trench. Then as people get more experienced it seems like they tend to focus more on character and tone down all the bells and whistles, and move a bit more towards comfort and interestingly enough by default, authenticity (people in the ren days didnt wear all those pins and things hanging off thier belts AFAIK). When the dust has settled, you have a nice costume with just a bit of individuality without going overboard, yet still fun and comfortable.  Many actors I've worked with seem to follow this track, but of course everyone has thier own experiences.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

WOW! I'm shocked that someone would come on these boards to discuss "OVERDOING IT" ! Its FAIRE! Isn't it about your interpretation?
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LADY JOYCE ANN on July 29, 2010, 04:07:05 PM
WOW! I'm shocked that someone would come on these boards to discuss "OVERDOING IT" ! Its FAIRE! Isn't it about your interpretation?

I wouldn't say your interpretation.   I am one of the people that would *love* to see the Renaissance put back into the festival.  (because, really, I've see the chainmail to skin ratio violated far too many times...) However, I'm also not opposed to a good pirate costume (complete with the gun belt hanging and the pouches for gunpowder) or any good costume that fits the idea of a Renaissance festival.   I have raised my eyebrow at things I'm sure half the board wouldn't bat an eyelash at, but I'm honestly far more comfortable with the "flair" (Office Space, anyone?) and have seen it done well as well as poorly.   Now the woman who is about a 52k cup size wearing an underbust corset and only has her thin cotton chemise to support and cover her?  That scares me.   :P   

Manwariel

I'm apparently one of the very few who didn't find his post offensive in the least, despite disagreeing with most of what he said. :) The way he worded it seemed amusing and lighthearted to me, not egotistical or as though he was trying to bash anyone. People have shared lots of varying opinions on here - fantasy, don't fantasy, Star Trek, don't Trek - so I don't see a reason to get all ruffled up about this one. It bothers me how, on the various forums I've been a part of, people only like it when opinions that follow the majority are expressed and people who disagree with them get pounced on (like the Twilight series. People say they like it, people disagree, and the ones who do act like they have personally been sliced to ribbons by the difference of opinion. It's not like they said they don't like you). Bashing him for his opinions as is bad as the other way around. He wasn't personally insulting any of you, or at least it didn't come across that way to me.

You keep saying, "Would you go up to someone and tell them their outfit was overdone?" but he didn't. He didn't call any of you out. It's like Stormtroopers or Star Trek characters at faire. Some of you have a problem with them, some of you don't, and there are threads on here dedicated to discussing such things, including fantasy in general, but you don't go up to them and say, "You should stay home or dress in period garb because you're ruining my faire experience." Those people love what they wear and have fun with it. You have said on this forum that you don't like it. You weren't out to get anyone, you were just expressing an opinion. There's not a big difference, in my eyes, between this and that, in the core of the matter.

arbcoind

What Manwariel said.  I thought the OP was humorous, but then again I have a very sarcastic sense of humor. 

Gina

Blue66669

Quote from: Manwariel on July 30, 2010, 11:55:26 AM
(like the Twilight series. People say they like it, people disagree, and the ones who do act like they have personally been sliced to ribbons by the difference of opinion. It's not like they said they don't like you).

What... are you trying to say that you think sparkly vampires are lame?!?!? HOW DARE YOU COME HERE AND SAY THAT SORT OF THING ON A PUBLIC FORUM!!!!

*falls over laughing*
Blaidd Drwg