News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to buy fabric

Started by rcc1986, August 14, 2010, 11:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcc1986

I'm working on making a new costume, but am having a really tough time finding HA fabric.  I'm trying to create a noble lady's costume, but haven't found anything I'm satisfied with at Joann's (my normal fabric store of choice).  I would appreciate any advice ya'll can give on what type of fabric to use and where to buy it.  I'm open to buying off of websites, but would prefer being able to go to a store in the north Dallas/Frisco/McKinney area so that I can see the fabric before buying it. 

bookwench

There's a whole warehouse fabric district on Perth St, off Harry Hines in Dallas. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=perth+st,+dallas+tx&sll=33.052455,-96.713289&sspn=0.010162,0.01929&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Perth+St,+Dallas,+Texas+75229&z=16

Some places (like Best Fabrics, the first building you come to) are air condition, well lit and much like a regular fabric store.  The further back you go down the street, the more you get into actual warehouses, some without a/c.  My favorite one is the third shop in, I think its Super Textiles.  There's also Golden D'Or, but its about a block further down Harry Hines and not actually on Perth St.  All of them have great selections, and you never know what you'll find.

If you feel like driving further south, there's Pursleys in Duncanville.  He buys the leftovers from design houses after the season is over, so you might find 2 yards or 20.  Everything is amazingly cheap; I think the most I've paid for any fabric is $4/yd. And he has literally over 1,000,000 buttons.  Its like a treasure hunt every time you go. :)

Good luck! 

"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

gem

If you look at the pinned topics in the Sewing forum, there are lots of links to great online resources (and more).  :D

rcc1986