News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Please remind me how to line a vest/jacket

Started by gem, August 22, 2010, 01:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Ok, I have Sewing Amnesia!

I am making the Much Ado Ursula Jacket, here:

Only mine is SLEEVELESS, like a vest:

I have the lining and the shell sewn, and I'm ready to insert the lining.

I cannot remember if I can insert the lining while the shoulder seams are sewn together, or if I have to turn through the shoulder strap, like I normally do when making a bodice.  I know you have the shoulder seams sewn when lining something that has sleeves, but for some reason I'm thinking if I just go ahead like it is now, I won't be able to turn it.

Help? (Did that question even make sense?  ???)

I'd love to save myself the step of doing it wrong, if I can!

Gramercy

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

gem

Attatch your lining to the neckline and down the front opening of your bodice. Do a 1/2" or 5/8" seam, make notches in place where the neckline curves so the lining lays nice. I often understitch.  Leave 5/8" at each end of the front unsewn.(This will be the turn over when you sew on the lining onto the peplum for a cleaner finish.

Sew on your sleeves, then make small notches onto the lining so that you can turn it under to sew to cover your sleeve seam. That way it looks finished. Be sure to line your sleeves as well.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Thanks, Lady K!

I actually, um, went back and read the pattern instructions, (somehow I forgot that I started this with a pattern  :-\) and that's exactly what they said, too! I am going to have to finish the armholes by hand, but I've done that gads of times. I'm just very relieved that this method didn't involve tearing out any of the seams I'd already done.

I am just getting ready to understitch the princess seams so the whole thing doesn't poof apart in wearing, and then I'll finish the armholes and tackle that peplum/flounce.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Sometimes when one is in doubt, read the instructions.

You are very welcome, gem!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde