News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Something's lacking.....

Started by silverwick, August 24, 2010, 12:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwick

Still relatively new at dressing, I have been wearing the same things for the past couple of years.  Just the usual: Cotton chemise (new this year: black!), 2 homespun skirts (d. green and black), satin corset (burgandy and black), a tankard and a basket.  Nothing too fancy, kinda plain and boring.  My hair is always down or the front parts tied back.  I have two problems:

1.Looking for fun accessory ideas.  I dislike lugging my basket around so I sewed some ribbons to the inside of my corset to tie a pouch and tankard to.  Now that I have the basics, what would be fun to add?  I dont have any specific character or anything but would love to have a little spice to my drab-ness.
2.I definitely need some help above my chemise.  My garb looks cute but above that, I'm all colorless.  Pasty skin, melty makeup and droopy hair.  Any suggestions to add some color? necklace? earrings? cat?

thank you very much. 

Lady Rebecca

How about a nice tall hat with some colorful plumage?

isabelladangelo

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.  Your outfit sounds like it is a complete fantasy outfit....   You don't want anything too over the top but you might look for some jewelry or, as Lady Rebecca said, a hat.   Since your outfit is already fantastical, you can go with whatever you please.

gem

Pictures!!  We want pictures to help us decide!  ;D

I'm with Isabella and Lady R: you need hats! Check out this thread for some fab examples of hat deliciousness.  The right hat can totally make your look, from demure and semi-period peasant (a cap like this), to saucy pirate lass (like Margaret's cavalier). A good flat cap in a new color with some fun trim and lots of feathers could do wonders for your ensemble. If nothing else, try a snood. It will help with the "droopy hair" issue and just make you look more finished. I kind of love the snood + flat cap look, myself. If my hair were long enough, I'd totally do braids tied around my head.

I always think a belt finishes off wenchwear nicely, and it's also a good place to add your "stuff." I don't generally tote that much on my belt--just my pouch/es and my camera case--but you could add everything from skirt hikes to favor flags to spice up your ensemble. I just wear the plainest long black ring belt, but you could go with something with a little more flair to it--tooling, studs, etc.

ArielCallista

Its amazing what a hat can do...I've always been a fan of hates in my mundane life, but didn't have any for faire until this year. I made them both and now I feel so much more complete...As for what style you should get, pics will help :)

I think its a good idea to get a belt, and if money is an issue check out thrift stores and walmart for some ideas. I've seen some walmart belts on cast members before (the black "leather" ones with two rows of big silver grommets are reeeally popular to both cast and non for those who can't get a good leather belt). A belt helps out a bunch if you buy something new while you are at faire, instead of having to wait til you get home to sew in a ribbon or two for your new pouch or whatever you got. it also makes getting dressed/undressed easier...I just leave all my pouches and such on my belt and drop the whole thing in my garb trunk when i take it off...

Also what's on your feet? The one thing that ruins a good set of garb from my point of view is when someone wears their everyday mundane shoes with it. Now if you've already got a good pair of flats or boots or whatever for your look then nevermind, but it can help a look alot to have shoes that go well.
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

LadyFae

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES, PLEASE!!!!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"