News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When you store fabric do you....

Started by lady serena, August 27, 2010, 08:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady serena

When you store your fabric in plastic tubs do you first wash and dry your fabric or do you put it in the tub straight from the retailer/wholesaler? My fabric is starting to become uncontrollable and I'm going to invest in some plastic tubs to store it in and was wondering about the question above.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Adriana Rose

I try to wash the stuff that I am gonna use straight off, but if its just getting added to the stash I toss it in a tote with some cedar balls with out washing and then I wash it when I am gonna use it

gem

If the fabric is for a current project, it goes straight in the wash when it gets home. If it's just for stash, it goes upstairs to be stored first. Large cuts I wrap on cardboard bolts (you can get leftovers from fabric stores), and small cuts I roll, just like they sell remnants. I HIGHLY recommend rolling, vs folding, if you're going to store your small cuts in bins; it's SO much easier to see what you have and to sort through everything, than it is to paw through layers of folded cuts.

Now, if I bought fabric for a current project that somehow got abandoned (happens ALL the time! LOL), then I'll bolt/roll it and put it upstairs with the rest of the stash. But I don't pre-wash my fabric just to store it, because the prepwork for fabric takes a good chunk of time (it takes me almost half an hour to press 4-5 yards of fabric, and I'm not going to do that just for fun!!).

I can always tell whether a fabric has been pre-washed, as the cut edges will fray into a soft tangly fringe. Unwashed fabrics still have clean cut edges.  Some people serge their fabric, or sew the cut edges together before they wash, but I'm too lazy!

DonaCatalina

I don't wash fabric until I'm ready to use it. And I do serge the edges before washing. I got into the habit because sometimes you barely have enough fabric for the project and you can't afford to lose any to raveling.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cilean

If it can be washed I do so and then iron it and then fold it to go into bins. If it is silk, and will not be washed, then I take a sample and put it in to a bin or wrap it on a cardboard roll.  Now if I am making a ton of things quickly, like a shirt set for the family? I have a Currently Working On Bin, everything goes into that or I will lose my pieces, I safety pin all pieces together as well because you know how it is, you will be busy for a month and then where did piece 2 go?

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

LadyShadow

Quote from: Cilean on August 28, 2010, 01:51:32 AM

I have a Currently Working On Bin, everything goes into that or I will lose my pieces, I safety pin all pieces together as well because you know how it is, you will be busy for a month and then where did piece 2 go?

Cilean

As I cut everything out I have learned to use a small piece of paper and a pin to label each piece.  And then I use a canvas bag for each project to help keep the pieces and extra fabric together until I am finished.  I lost too many pieces, so I had to change my ways  ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dayna

Everything gets serged and then washed, dried, measured, marked and stored.  I'd rather know if something is going to run, pucker, etc.  B4 I decide to make something out of it.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven