News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

KCRF Thoughts?

Started by Butch, September 04, 2010, 09:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

Opening day was FANTASTIC!  It was simply a great day for the faire.  They FINALLY got Pirtle mead at the faire (it is made less than 10 miles away, in Weston, MO).  Not as good as Oliver's, but much better than Chaucers (IMO)!  Had 2 Smithwicks, 1 mead, some coffee, and some water.  Oh, and a scotch egg (a bit too much sage for my taste).

Got to see The Ladies of the Salty Kiss (two shows is all we got).  Always a pleasure to see that crew!

And, oh my goodness, I FINALLY got to meet Gem!  What a great lady!  She was simply breathtaking in her garb today!  I was humbled by her skill as a seamstress.  It was really neat to talk sewing with such a kindred spirit.

Gonna go back tomorrow for about half the day.  Really happy we bought season passes!

TKM

Really? I couldn't find the mead at all! The lady who worked the booth that used to sell chaucer's mead told me no one even had any yet. Who has it?

Butch

Right around the corner from the 3 Lions stage, on the way to the Washing Well Wenches, on the right.  It is a shop that is inset.  They sell Smithwicks and Guiness, as well as wine.  It is narrow and set into the row of shops.

Delireus

That sounds awesome, I'm so glad the first weekend went well ;D I shall be there in 3 weeks! Too long to wait and too short of a visit IMO but it's better than nothing. Have fun tomorrow! 
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Butch

TKM, I was mistaken.  It is the shop RIGHT NEXT to Prunella's Bait Shop in Cosweld Commons.  Additionally, they sell mead right across from that shop at the beer vendor next to the shrimp and chips place.

TKM

thanks, i'll keep an eye out next weekend

Butch

OK, Sun and today we had to leave at 2:00.  I met up with Gem again yesterday, as well as Blushing and (please forgive me for forgetting the wonderful couple's names that were with Blushing from Colorado!).  Great time!  Saw "Au Grat" and their "I Love the 1490's" show.  It was very rough yesterday, but much more polished today.  Lots of fun with this act!

Saw The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, but did not catch any of their shows today.  I was so sad to hear that someone had offended the Ladies this morning.  I don't know what it was, but your Man-at-Arms was beside himself.  I hope it didn't ruin your day.

Saw the Scally Wags' show; I always enjoy watching them!

My son pointed out why he likes the KC RenFaire:  The Royalty courts are so big!  He's right!  The King and Queen have an entourage of a prince and extended family.  They also have a Vulgarian court and their extended family, as well as a gypsy "Romani" family.  Yes, that is very nice to have all of this royalty circulating amongst all of the faire-goers.

No alcohol for me yesterday or today.  Just water and coffee both days.  Not a tee-totaler, I did enjoy a few adult beverages on Sat.  Just didn't want any the rest of the weekend.

The weather was wonderful all three days!  Sunny and windy!

OK, I will probably miss next weekend; which unfortunately means missing the debut of Gem's "Much Ado" garb.  I so wanted to see that in person, the photos look FANTASTIC!

I'll be back for sure the weekend after next, and will be at the Sun brunch!

Anyone else wanna share their experiences?

divapixie

Not sure if I'll make it to KCRF this season.  I am headed to MNRF on the 19th though... my family lives up there and I live in Dodge.  Go figure right?
I'd like to try and make a weekend trip out of it but... finances are.... tight to say the least.  The only tighter at this point in my bodice.
"I have the heart of a child... in a jar on my desk."

gem

We have managed to run into Butch's son EVERY DAY this season! Very nice young gentleman. And the weather so far has been just fantastic.

I am very curious about one of the cast members. Opening weekend, I met a young woman in what was probably the most beautiful period gown I've ever seen (16th c. Spanish). When I asked if she were on cast, she said, "Just visiting."

Check out this partlet! And she's wearing RUFFS!! (swoon!)

But *yesterday,* she was part of the Fairy Court! And the guidebook (from Opening Weekend) lists her among the fairy cast:

(Sorry you can't see her wings in this picture; they're glorious: white and opaque like a moth's. Very realistic!)

Her fay character did not appear to speak, and Milord wasn't convinced it was the same woman, so I wasn't going to try to make her break character to explain herself (hee!)... but when we got home and compared pictures, it's DEFINITELY her! It just seems so strange that she was there in court dress Opening Weekend (and not apparently part of the cast), but there as a fairy yesterday!  ???

Brother Gregory

Opening weekend the lady was there as a vistor and had her royal grab on, she made it her self. Then she told me when I talked with her opening day that she was going to be part of the fay for a couple of weekends. I know her she is from Omaha NE and has been at the MidWest Ren Faire in Omaha, the Sioux Falls , SD faire and the riverssance ren faire in Sioux City, Iowa.

Butch

Gem, I was up in MN this past weekend, but Michael said he saw you yesterday.  I asked if you were wearing your "Much Ado" garb, he said it was something white/cream.  HA!  He didn't see you again after I spoke with him' I had so wanted to see that garb on you (esp the bodice!).  I wonder, did you happen to get any photos of you and your hubby in this special garb?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on September 12, 2010, 06:37:55 PM
Gem, I was up in MN this past weekend, but Michael said he saw you yesterday.  I asked if you were wearing your "Much Ado" garb, he said it was something white/cream.  HA!  He didn't see you again after I spoke with him' I had so wanted to see that garb on you (esp the bodice!).  I wonder, did you happen to get any photos of you and your hubby in this special garb?

Were you at MNRF over the weekend?  We are going the last weekend (Oct 1,2 and 3)  - our son is going to write a story for school so he is excused from class to attend faire on Friday.

We will be at KCRF the weekend after.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Did not go this past weekend.  My friend Joe (whom you met) was on call all weekend, and needed to stay close to the Cities.

JacobHaze

I'm gearing up to get back to Canterbury this year, and I'm looking forward to checking out some of the new shows. Any recommendations? Did anyone see "I Love the 1490s"? What about the hypnotist?

Jake

Butch

Jake, yes indeed see "I Love the 1490's".  At least one time, see them!