News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Freaking the mundanes

Started by DonaCatalina, June 05, 2008, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlett

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 05, 2008, 06:30:43 PM
Last year, we went to the Renaissance Festival at the Amana Colonies in May, where it rained so hard, after 1 hour of standing under a picnic pavilion with about 400 other people, we decided to leave and get some lunch in the downtown tourist area.

Steve had on his pirate garb, and I had on wench garb, with 2 overskirts, hat, pewter mug and pouch hanging from the belt -- the usual.  I was wearing a new bodice and looking rather "fluffy" that day in the "girls" dept.

When I went into the restroom, there was a line, so while standing there, a woman asked if I was Amish.  It was all I could do not to laugh and wet my pants, but I kept a straight face and just said "no."

I thought it was the Mennonites who were known for their fluffy girls?  Hmm.. people confuse them with the Amish all the time.  LOL.  Funny story!
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Scarlett

I have two.  Morwyn and I had gotten lost en route to a faire once so we stopped at a small ma & pa gas station/convenience store to ask directions.  Of course everyone stared at us.  Only one old man had the nerve to say something as we paid for purchases at the cash register.  He asked, dead serious, "What are you two?  Witches?" 

The other episode happened just a few  weeks ago on our way to VARF.  We (me and Morwyn again) stopped at a Starbucks on the highway and a male customer asked if we were going to a German festival.   I told him yes, that we we the Saint Pauly girls. 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Pinn

Just before going to a Ren wedding My D/H and I went to a Wal-mart in garb.... two young children asked what movie set we just came from. Our response "Braveheart II"
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Lairde Guardn

There must have been another festival in the VARF area on the last weekend.......We had stopped in a Macdonalds for breakfast on the way to faire........

Now think on this......

All the men are in Green Kilt and Saffron Shirts and the women are all in similar colored attire befitting the garb of the Clan M'Crack.....

So while getting a group picture with the Ronald Macdonald on the bench in the childs playroom...(that is a whole other forum topic story)  ......a women came up to us and asked...

"Are you all going to the Polish festival"

nough said.........
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Scotsman

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on June 19, 2008, 10:21:14 AM
"Are you all going to the Polish festival"

OMG ... I would of had to say ... Are you? Followed by, I take that Super Sized please!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Welsh Wench

TNRF last year at Motel 6--the morning clerk was an old Southern gentleman.
As I was getting coffee, he said, "Are y'all goin' ta that thar Ren-AY-sance Fest'val?

I looked up with a pleading look in my eyes and said, "PLEASE don't tell my mother I ran off and joined the festival."
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Christina de Pond

Rofl Welsh thats hillarious i would not have been able to say that with a straight face
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Welsh Wench

It comes with being a drama queen..... ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Dayna

Not to mention it comes with being Welsh!   :-*

Dayna Thomas
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Captain Jack Wolfe

Let's just say the tellers were a little edgy when I strolled into the bank lobby.  Hey, they should keep their ATM in proper working order!  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

AnyuBoo

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 19, 2008, 07:50:42 PM
Let's just say the tellers were a little edgy when I strolled into the bank lobby.  Hey, they should keep their ATM in proper working order!  ;D

I wish I'd been a fly on the wall to see their faces...  :D 
We haven't actually "freaked" any mundanes so far, but we've gotten plenty of stares.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Marietta Graziella

The Saturday morning before Twig (in MN) our group went to breakfast at this charming little eatery run by all sisters and seniors (whole 'nother story about them!  Very cute!), anyway...  I was later in arriving so the rest of the group was already in the other room, seated.  I was wearing your basic wench garb (long sleeve chemise, 2 skirts, bodice, hat, etc), fluffed but not obscene, when an older chap looks at me and says,

"Whoa there!  Where's your canoe?"

WTH?!  What that meant I don't know since I didn't respond, but smiled and walked away.   He was a senior citizen so we're just going to leave it at that.

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

lady serena

Marietta he was more than likely confusing you with the fur trappers and rendezvous things that we celebrate farther North.

I managed to freak out a mundane at my hubbies coffee shop with a drawing that I was working on. It was the face of a green man and the person that saw it said, "Wow its a tree with a face in it", as he looked at his friend and said, "that is just creepy!"  I tried to explain the green man to him, afterwards his friend and him were looking at me like I had horns growing out the side of head, I gave up at that point.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Count Adolfo

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 19, 2008, 07:50:42 PM

Oh, now HOW funny would it have been to have one of the tellers start playing off your attire?

"For the last time, Mad Jack... this be a 'bank'... not ye personal booty stash!"

Angus

While in Garb, I mostly get asked if I am going to a "Faire or a play or something..."

My usual answer is "no, why do you ask?"
Chief cook, and bottle washer...