News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

lantern

Started by Drudonn, October 06, 2010, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drudonn

I made this lantern out of a spaghetti-o's can and a wire coat hanger, with a tea candle inside.

it's a little rough, just because this was my first attempt. Anybody make their own lanterns?

ladybootlegger

What a great idea! You could do so much with such a simple concept...I admit, I'm somewhat jealous that I didn't think of it. But now that you've inspired me...I may have to make an attempt.
I'm the one going to Hell, you were only watching.
~Billy Connolly

Drudonn

I'd love to see what you come up with!

Rani Zemirah

Awesome project!  You can get really fancy with these, also...  Here's a site that gives some ideas for interesting patterns, as well.  They don't show the large opening for lots of light, but it seems like it would be simple to incorporate it.

My grandpa used to help us make these when we were kids.  It's fun! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

amy

these are super cute... Make nice fairy lights on your deck in the evening... But you don't need the work space like in the web site.   I have a way easier and cheaper solution.   Just take your empty can and fill it with water and freeze it.   The ice makes the can hard, unbendable and heavy which makes it super easy to work on.  You can bash and nail into it all day long and the can won't bend.   Just gotta re-freeze if the ice melts too much.   But you can really wack away then just run it in hot water to empty the ice block out and voila!   

Rani Zemirah

Oh, now that's an amazingly easy idea!!!  I would imagine the work could go pretty fast if you were to draw a pattern on the can before freezing it, the just lay it on a towel to catch any dripping while you work!  I think we're going to be making some of these for All Hallow's Eve Weekend at TRF this year! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede