News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Worst Beers in the World

Started by Don_Juan_deCordoba, October 29, 2010, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

The WORST I ever had was some crap called Pig's Eye....

brier patch charlie

I think the sorriest beer I ever tried other then Bud, miller Coors,and most all other big name American beers was Aragent Bastard, I took to sips of that crap and all most puked. That craps so nasty I wouldn't even use it to Wash my backside.
Charles Coleman

Auryn

Normally this isn't a thread I would jump into as I am not a beer drinker, I find the stuff in general to be revolting.
That is until my boyfriend introduced me to the Heffeweisen he fell in love with when he was stationed in Germany.
Great stuff.

Then the other day we watched a whole "Modern Marvels" episode on the history channel about beer
and I learned that back in the day all Ales used to be made without hops
and I learned that hops is what makes beer bitter.

So we spent 30 minutes in the beer isle of the wine and spirits store this afternoon and they don't carry any gruit ale (thats the ale without the hops).
Can anyone reccommend anything that is very very low on the hops content??

I figure stores don't carry gruit ale as the hops is what gives beer its shelf life and without them its probably hard to keep stocked without it going bad.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

The Rabbi

Heffeweissen ROCKS sorry but i too fell in love with it in Germany but can not find any here stateside with the proper sedimnt so drink what is available. i would recomend brewing your own gruit ale and would love to have any recipe you have so that I can give it a shot as well.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

chainshot

The two worst beers I remember ever drinking was during my college days while living in a frat house, it was called Crazy Horse and it's evil twin Jim Bowie.  They came in 40 oz. bottles only, and you could get them about a buck twenty-five a bottle.  Some others that also come to mind is Colt 45, Old English, and Magnum.

Betty Munro

I thought Old English was a furniture polish?  Maybe that is why it tastes so terrible.  lol  ;)

chainshot

Oh and after reading some of the previous post regarding Texas Beer, the only one I remember ever having during my brief stay there was called Lonestar Beer.  I use to get them at huge red barn nearby where you just simply drove your truck through and the people who worked there just loaded the back of your vehicle up with your order.

Merlin the Elder

Tastes do definitely differ...what Auryn doesn't care for in a beer is something I quite enjoy. Several of us got a sampler at Rockhouse Brewpub in Castle Rock at the RenDezvous MnG. They had one really hoppy beer that I totally liked, and everyone else turned their nose up at it.  I like a bold taste in beers.

Chainshot, Lone Star is nasty. That what was served at the Astrodome when I went there many years ago. I thought it was going to kill me...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

chainshot

Yeah it was pretty nasty Merlin LOL!  And that was also the day I learned from my Texan friends a new word, "picnic" .  It's where you and your buddies after getting the beer, to just simply pull over at the side of the some lonely road somewhere, and simply get hammered.

The Rabbi

Seeing as how we are discussing nasty beer and Texas lets not forget Pearl Beer, and just for gp there is Brown Derby and Dickle no wait thats George Dickle Whiskey not sure they even make that stuff anymore.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

I think...not sure...that Pearl is out of New Orleans.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Taffy Saltwater

I'm not a beer drinker, but I loved the Nelson's Blood porter brewed in shop at the Lord Nelson in Sydney.  No television,  band, or people gabbing on their cell phones.  Just excellent dark, chocolate-y, coffee tasting porter.  With pie & mash?  Couldn't be better.
Sveethot!

SethB

Quote from: Auryn on September 23, 2011, 05:52:33 PM

Can anyone recommend anything that is very very low on the hops content??

I figure stores don't carry gruit ale as the hops is what gives beer its shelf life and without them its probably hard to keep stocked without it going bad.
Your darker beers, porters, stouts, black lagers, will generally be less hoppy. Stay away from ales as they tend to have the most.

I am no fan of heffeweizens, especially with the sediment. They generally taste very yeasty to me, and just do not suit my palette.

I think Bud Lite is probably one of the nastiest swills I have ever tasted. Honestly, aside from Yuengling, if it is sold in a can it is the foulest of foul.

DonaCatalina

According to a survey of people in over 80 countries, America is #1 is producing swill beer.
With China coming in a distant second.
I haven't seen any Natural Ice in a long time, but it was so bad that I'm not surprised. It had an slightly mineral oil taste that stayed with you. I thinks that's what the beer experts might call over-hoppy.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

KeeperoftheBar

Speaking of bad beers, (and showing my age) anyone remember "Billy Beer"?  I suspect it was Bud filtered through Billy Carter's kidney.  I actually had to pour most of it down the drain.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen