News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

MIRF

Started by Lavender, May 09, 2008, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Henry Tudor

Quote from: nliedel on June 19, 2008, 06:38:25 AM
...I am going to Derbyshire on Sunday and going to be testing out my character and playing with anyone who will do so. I know I can keep up my accent all day. I've been cursing my children in Italian and they are now used to it.

That's the way to do it, my dear.  Visiting other Faires and doing MiRF Promos is a GREAT way to test your character, develop bits, and work out any kinks. Speaking in your character's voice, especially one with a difficult accent, during your mundane life is also a terrific exercise.  From what I've seen at the Academy classes I've participated in, I think your doing great for a First Year.  I can't wait to see and interact with your character in the lanes this year!
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

nliedel

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on June 19, 2008, 10:09:33 AM
Quote from: nliedel on June 19, 2008, 06:38:25 AM
...I am going to Derbyshire on Sunday and going to be testing out my character and playing with anyone who will do so. I know I can keep up my accent all day. I've been cursing my children in Italian and they are now used to it.

That's the way to do it, my dear.  Visiting other Faires and doing MiRF Promos is a GREAT way to test your character, develop bits, and work out any kinks. Speaking in your character's voice, especially one with a difficult accent, during your mundane life is also a terrific exercise.  From what I've seen at the Academy classes I've participated in, I think your doing great for a First Year.  I can't wait to see and interact with your character in the lanes this year!

You are most kind. I have to admit, I had a ball handing out flyers Sunday at the Strawberry festival. My son was with me, dressed as a dragon slayer. I asked the people how we knew he was so excellent a slayer. Almost everyone answered,  "No dragons." Very fun and got rid of all the flyers too. I am having more fun than is legal with your clothes on and can't wait to get out there and interact with the fairegoers and sing.

BTW, Sir William is so kind that my eldest sleeps with a small shiny glass piece he was given last year, on the promise he would one day be a knight. It means the world to that boy.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

essulf

Hi everyone, just wanted to make myself known!
I'm a regular cast member at the TNRF, and will be doing the Mudskippers mud show at MIRF this year!
My name's Thorny, and I'm really, really excited. I've never been this far away from home before, and have actually never been to a festival outside of TN, let alone worked one. I can't wait to meet all of you in person. Got any tips or advice or funny stories about MIRF? Anything I should know before boarding a plane to Detroit? hehe...
--=Thorny=--

nliedel

On the first day, go to Mother Superior and tell her you are new. She is very helpful.

Just find the singing flower seller, me, and say hi. I can't go within a mile of a pub till after closing, but I'm even fun at funerals and although I am new too, I will introduce you to who I know. Heck, most of the cast, that I've met, are wonderful and a neat group. Anyone of them will help you out.

maelstrom0370

Quote from: nliedel on June 24, 2008, 05:58:52 AM
On the first day, go to Mother Superior and tell her you are new. She is very helpful.

*Snicker* Oh yea! VERY helpful!  :P

LadyMeg

Hello New person from TN!  How exciting!  Mother Superior... I agree... good stop.  Yep, yep.

I'd also find some time to walk the grounds bit by bit during faire hours when you can to see all the shops and find those hidden little corners that have some fabulous gems.

Can't wait, can't wait.  How much longer??????
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: essulf on June 24, 2008, 03:20:46 AM
My name's Thorny, and I'm really, really excited. I've never been this far away from home before, and have actually never been to a festival outside of TN, let alone worked one. I can't wait to meet all of you in person. Got any tips or advice or funny stories about MIRF? Anything I should know before boarding a plane to Detroit? hehe...

Welcome! I think you'll enjoy Hollygrove a lot once you get here.

One thing we do have is MUD. Yep. Lots of Mud. And when it rains, we REALLY have it-- in spades. All kinds of mud! We've got the silty, slick mud, we've got the gloopy mud that sucks at your feet, we've got nice peat mud too. The site was built on the edge of a swamp, so the back row of shops have 'waterfront' property. 

Lets see... we also have lots of friendly people--including lots and lots of fun and fabulous WENCHES. 

You know, if you're gonna have a Festival, you need wenches...just a fact of life.

We have a lot of great musicians at our show too.

And lest I forget, you will be performing under the auspices of the MOST WONDERFUL AND TRULY FANTASTIC ENTERTAINMENT DIRECTOR EVER. errr...not that I'm biased or anything.  ;D  (But Maria doth rock the shire, truly).

Can't wait to welcome you to our shire! Godspeed you safe in your travels!
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

nliedel

Quote from: Katie Bookwench on June 24, 2008, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: essulf on June 24, 2008, 03:20:46 AM

And lest I forget, you will be performing under the auspices of the MOST WONDERFUL AND TRULY FANTASTIC ENTERTAINMENT DIRECTOR EVER. errr...not that I'm biased or anything.  ;D  (But Maria doth rock the shire, truly).

Can't wait to welcome you to our shire! Godspeed you safe in your travels!

Maria is a Goddess in my eyes, so I can't say I don't agree.

essulf

Wow! What a warm welcome indeed! Now I'm even more excited just to be up there with you all!
--=Thorny=--

max and kate

Quote from: essulf on June 24, 2008, 04:28:32 PM
Wow! What a warm welcome indeed! Now I'm even more excited just to be up there with you all!
And don't forget to stop off at the Guenness Pub for a pint and spin a tale of the Tennessee Ren Faire, we would love to hear about it.
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

Ladyfair

Also dont fotget the daily meet and greet at the bridges by the little dry creek (look for the R/F banner)...and the noonish pic on the Dias!!!
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

nliedel

I'm not allowed near the pubs. So seek me out. Apparently, they would be a bad influence on me, or versa visa.

Lord Virgil

essulf, we at MiRF consider ourselves a very friendly and fun group.  The more the merrier.  Mother Superior is awesome, definitely seek her out.
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

LadyMeg

Indeed they are some of the friendliest people out there!  I'm still one of the shy, quiet ones and they are brilliantly sweet and so willing to open their arms.  I can't recommend them enough!...  er, us, enough.  Hehe
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

nliedel

i find that as Serena, I am able to talk to anyone and have a bravery that lets me be pretty bold. The garb helps. Developing a character helps too. :)