News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Great February Blizzard- Rennie Check In!

Started by eloquentXI, February 01, 2011, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raevyncait

I was hoping to be able to stay home today, but alas the boss was adamant that everyone come in today. A co-worker lives nearby, and is originally from PA, and better at driving in these conditions, so he picked me up  at the bottom of the hill I live on. even pulling my car out of the driveway, I suspect would have resulted in a pitiful little slide right down the inch and a half thick sheet of ice that covers from just above our driveway to about halfway through the intersection where it's cleared from the wee bit of traffic that's gone across it.
Later today one of the bosses is taking me to the grocery store to pick up a few things and refill our 2 propane tanks that I toted down the hill with me on the way out this morning, so we'll have heat tonight and tomorrow at home.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

eloquentXI

Oiy, this crap is ridiculous.

Watched one of my old co-workers get her Jeep caught up on a curb when I went out earlier.
I made it home okay but I'm not leaving now, even though I need some art supplies.

School is closed for Friday.

I'm not a fan of this. No school, work, or capability for socializing; and no art supplies for projects makes for an incredibly cranky Meg.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Rani Zemirah

The roads are not bad here, just a bit slushy in places, with mostly hard packed snow, and a little rutted ice... so why is everyone STILL driving like they're riding in bumper cars?!?  I'm in a mini-van, for cripes sake, and I'm not having any problems, so why are all these people in their huge 4x4 SUV's fishtailing like they're swimming in the ocean?!?  

Oh, and that whole "no price gouging during an emergency", thing?  Obviously doesn't apply here...   >:(

Oh yeah... and school is out again tomorrow.  At this rate they might as well just start year-round classes.  ::)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Sir Ironhead

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 03, 2011, 05:58:18 PM
...I'm in a mini-van, for cripes sake, and I'm not having any problems, so why are all these people in their huge 4x4 SUV's fishtailing like they're swimming in the ocean?!?  

I saw this on a bumper sticker the first time I was stationed at Ft Carson in Colorado:  4X4 = half a brain
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Sir Ironhead on February 03, 2011, 06:35:46 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 03, 2011, 05:58:18 PM
...I'm in a mini-van, for cripes sake, and I'm not having any problems, so why are all these people in their huge 4x4 SUV's fishtailing like they're swimming in the ocean?!? 

I saw this on a bumper sticker the first time I was stationed at Ft Carson in Colorado:  4X4 = half a brain

Lots of folks do seem to think it at least exempts them from using even rudimentary common sense, or any type of caution at all...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyMorna

Here in Nocona, TX, we got pretty much what Ryk and Jezz got in Ardmore.  A nice layer of ice, then sleet, and then the winter parfait was topped off with several inches of snow. We drove a couple of blocks to the local grocery store today, and it was still an icy mess on the roads. Our office has been closed since Tuesday, and since schools in Wichita Falls are closed tomorrow, we will be, too.  I've been online looking longingly at garb...
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

beckgam462

no ice no snow yet,  just cold has  h---
oh and the rolling black outs,,

tracking the new smart meter electric read out on line  how the heck did i use that much electricity and I am not home 12 hours a day?????
in the bilge with the vermin
Procrastination wannabe
Life Time member "Cottonbalers"';  Volens et Potens

beckgam462

Ok it is offical!

We stayed in texas due to the great climate  ( no trees but great temperure range)

I was born a yankke,  I stayed in the south transplanted texan ok  yankess left their dam door open it is snowing here  shiner bock

oh well I am not going to work tomorrow these fools do not know how to drive in this shiner bock,
warming the tea pot and getting shcnaps out

ah.......
Procrastination wannabe

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Kett

Brrrr! Cold. Spring/Summer and Faire now please.

That is all...  :(

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Lady Kett on February 03, 2011, 09:27:06 PM
Brrrr! Cold. Spring/Summer and Faire now please.

That is all...  :(

I agree! :)  We actually got a light dusting of snow here in Magnolia.  The novelty has worn off for me already lol.  Tropics anyone? :P
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

ArielCallista

We got more snow here in Denton...its all fluffy and pretty so we played in it for a bit...campus will be closed saturday as well...and its supposedly going to snow again on Wednesday of next week...I hope it dies down enough that I can make it to Flogging Molly in Dallas on tuesday...I've already got tickets...

I have gotten some bad news tho. Apparently UNT has lost 5 students to the roads. Lets pray we don't lose anymore...,
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

raevyncait

Fortunately, this morning the boss looked at the 3 inches of snow that fell overnight, and combined with what was still falling, decided that he didn't want to drive 30 miles to the very hilly area when one employee lives to pick her up in his big 4x4 truck again, and declared the office closed for today AND the rest of the weekend (he originally told us Tuesday to plan to work tomorrow).

I just wish he'd taken video of her trying to get into his truck, which has a lift kit on it so the mud & ice covered running boards are about 3.5 feet off the ground, and she's only 4'10"!
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

beckgam462

Procrastination wannabe

Ryk Rakham

Quote from: eloquentXI on February 02, 2011, 08:06:22 PM
Quote from: Ryk Rakham on February 02, 2011, 05:33:16 PM
Got it bad here in Ardmore, about 1/2 inch ice, then 3 inches sleet then 4 inches snow and so cold I saw two jackrabbits trying to jump-start a squirrel! Relieved that UNT is closed as I have to drive down twice per week for classes, never would' ve made it. Bring on spring, bring one Faire season!

Goodness gracious, Ryk! You commute from Ardmore for class? WOW!

Caught word early today that UNT is closed for Day #3.

I'm actually kind of ready for classes to start back up. This missing a lot of classes is gonna make everything wonky!

Yep Elo, I was living near Decatur and moved to Ardmore this last summer. It's not a terrible drive - a short hour, and this is my final semester. I have f2f classes on Tuesday and Wednesday and two online. All my others had been online until this semester. Apparently the state of Texas wants you to take Govt. and Humanities in person!But, I will have that Diploma this May!! I'm kinda ready to get back to class too, and back to normal and back to Faire!!! UNT is closed thru Saturday! They say its the longest ever weather related closing and I heard that some students had been in fatal accidents, hope it's not true. Here's to this stuff clearing up! It snowed all day in Ardmore, we got about 5 inches today (Friday) of fluffy snow.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry