News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Great February Blizzard- Rennie Check In!

Started by eloquentXI, February 01, 2011, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Merlin, it might turn out to be more than a one dog night...  ;)  

I've got fixin's for my chicken noodle soup and my hamburger stew, plus a 15 bean soup I can put on, as well.  

AccuWeather.com says it's 15*F here with a -3*F wind chill, and when I took out the garbage just now (without my coat, because of course I though... it's only 30 ft...  ::) ) it certainly FELT like it!!!  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 08, 2011, 08:14:50 PM
Merlin, it might turn out to be more than a one dog night...  ;)  

In that case, I'll have to snuggle with Denali, too. He's my Malamute. If I were to hook him and Abbe, my Akita, up to a sled, I could be in OKC in a couple of hours (if the snow gets that thick), to join you for some of your soup! Denali probably knows the way... He was a rescue that was found wandering and slightly injured near Tinker AFB in `04.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

Awww... how sweet!  I bet they'd really like my soup!  Let me know if you're headed this way, and I'll make sure to put on an EXTRA big pot!  :D

Scally has decided lately that she wants a Husky when we move to Colorado, because she wants to train it to pull.  Might have to take a road trip back up to Alaska in a year or two and introduce her to Susan Butcher...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Sir Ironhead

Sand storm out here, thought I was back in Iraq until I realized it wasn't red sand.  That's nice, mud showers tomorrow.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Merlin the Elder

We had a Husky before we got Denali. When Lady Avatar died, it broke our hearts. She was such a sweet animal. We had her for about 14 years.

One thing about Huskies is they tend to be on the hyperactive side, according to my vet, and my experience with this one. Malamutes are like super-sized Huskies, but tend to be very gentle, and not as hyper. Denali picked up a baby bunny he found at the dog park and handed it to Nim. The bunny was about half the size of your computer mouse. Didn't hurt the bunny at all.

The sled Huskies are not known for being friendly, gregarious animals, but the pet Huskies are good if they're dealt with early. Avatar never EVER barked at any other dog, or anyone...except me, and only because we were playing. She'd be on the other side of the fence from a neighbor's dog that was barking it's head off, and she would just stand there looking thru the fence with a "WTF are you barking at?" look. I've never seen a dog that didn't bark. She did, however, have a way of staring at you that would completely unnerve you.

raevyncait

It's still in the upper 40s here west of Fort Worth, I am not looking forward to the ice that is predicted. Brought some work home, just in case it's bad enough that the boss tells us to stay home. If not, well, there's a co-worker who lives nearby and is originally from PA, and therefore more experienced driving on slick roads and is willing to pick me up.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Merlin the Elder

Looking at the weather map, Raevyncait, the temperature differential is crazy. It's 17 in OKC and 51 in Dallas, only 200 miles away.

We aren't expecting ice in central Arkansas, but they are calling for 4-5 inches of snow...a little less than earlier expected. As long as it starts AFTER 5:00 am Wednesday, we'll be reasonably okay here. Nim will leave for work at 5, and I'm telecommuting.

If they close campus, I'll be able to claim comp time that I'll use to go to faire, so I hope it snows like a ... never mind!

Rani Zemirah

Still doing nothing here, although it was predicted to start around 6-7... who knows, maybe this one has them all fooled this time.  :P
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

brier patch charlie

Memphis, is like freeking out right now, there calling for 1-3 inchs and theres like mad rush to wal mart for everything, saw that one on the news. Good thing there going now, because they can't drive even when the weather is nice.
Charles Coleman

Rani Zemirah

Ok, the snow is finally here... but school was cancelled before the first flake even fell!  LOL 

Hamburger stew tomorrow, for lunch AND dinner!  :D  Mmmmm...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

VIII

Quote from: brier patch charlie on February 08, 2011, 10:48:32 PM
Memphis, is like freeking out right now, there calling for 1-3 inchs and theres like mad rush to wal mart for everything, saw that one on the news. Good thing there going now, because they can't drive even when the weather is nice.
Memphis is my Home Town!  Born and raised in Frasier!  Frayser Blvd at North Watkins!  Frayser High School graduate!

Thing is, they drive the same here in Dallas, Texas!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Merlin the Elder

Memphis drivers were about as crazy as drivers could be back in the early 70s. I went to college in Memphis. In the two years I stayed there, it snowed only one time, and there was no trace of it remaining by 10 a.m. One of my suite-mates was from Mexico City. He'd never seen snow before, except on a mountaintop in the distance. He was running around like a crazy man!

Around here, you show someone a picture of snow and they'll slide into the ditch.

Waiting for the snow...know it's coming...they've already closed campus. Nim's about to leave for work. I won't see her for a couple of days  :'(

Rani Zemirah

Merlin, at least you can talk to her on the phone...  Not the same, I know, but better than no contact at all, right? 

Everything is winter white around here, now, but it looks like it's stopped.  The sun is trying to break through the clouds, but it's not expected to warm things up at all... still supposed to stay in the teens all day, with -2 by morning.  Glad I don't have to be out in it!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

raevyncait

I think every district in the area closed today. The western outlying areas (weatherford, santo, gordon, granbury) didn't get a lot of precipitation that actually stuck around long enough for the temperature to drop and freeze it in place, so my drive to work this morning was pretty much a piece of cake, and I expect the same going home and in the morning. That being said, 7 DEGREES is TOO COLD for me! There is a reason I don't live north of the Red River. I DON'T LIKE COLD for days and days! I'm ok with the occasional freezing day or 2, but days on end drives me NUTS...
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Rani Zemirah

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede