News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DragonCon 2011

Started by Auryn, February 18, 2011, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Ummmm... yeah...

and, uhhhh...

... what was the question, again?  :o

I think there should definitely be a pic thread for this stuff!!!  ;)  ;D

Oh, geez...  ::)  After ogling those pics I completely forgot that I was going to say... I've been hot for Steampunk for ages now, and I'd probably want to do something with that, but if you've got the figure for either Cheetara or a Mord Sith... then I vote for those!!!  ;)  :D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

renfairephotog

There's  a chance we will go this year. Really hoping to be able to make it.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Auryn

photogo,
keep us updated.
Maybe we can organize a rennie meet up at dragon con

So as of today I am still moving forward with the Cheetara costume (including the workout regime that it requires)
but I am torn between going mord sith or steampunk.
My main source of consternation is how uncomfortable is the mord sith costume going to be. Considering its going to be all leather, even if I wear compression clothes underneath that help to keep cool Im wondering if I will be able to handle wearing it for 10 hrs.

The other option is to go with an altered mord-sith get up that was shown briefly in the tv show. Seems like it would be a little cooler (temperature wise)

For those of you that have gone to Cons for multiple days, is it realistic to want to wear a different costume each day?
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Aiacha

Quote from: Auryn on March 24, 2011, 12:19:25 PM
For those of you that have gone to Cons for multiple days, is it realistic to want to wear a different costume each day?

Different costume each day? At D*Con, it's reasonable to want to change halfway through the day!  I was working and I still brought two costumes, but to be fair, the Magenta one was only for Rocky.

Rani Zemirah

Oooh, and that backless one looks like it could easily be accessorized for Steampunk!  Especially if you wanted to go Loli...  

I've talked to people who change for almost each event, so multiple costumes is not just realistic, I think it's pretty common.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

hmmm
so how do you carry around costumes if your not a vendor (with booth space to hide your stuff) and not staying in one of the main hotels??

hmmmmm
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rani Zemirah

Hmmm... that could pose a problem.  I wonder if any of the hotels would have some sort of paid valet or check service (like coat check, only for baggage) for registered con guests?  Might be worth looking into.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

renfairephotog

There were pic fro wizardworld Chicago? of a dressing room set up by the con. would be great if DragonCon had one.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Auryn

That would be awesome if they had a dressing room. Though I am sure the line for that would be around the building too.

I'm still trying to decide wether to go mord-sith or steampunk, or both in addition to cheetara.
I have a couple of days to decide because I need to get cracking on the outfits.

I found the perfect mord-sith boots yesterday at $35 with tax (and they fit perfect) compared to the $250-300 they go for online. I just would have to cover them in leather.

Rani Zemirah

That right there would decide me...  LOL  I would totally have to Steam up that modified Mord Sith corset thing, though... just so I had something that would do double duty.  It could look completely different with a bustled skirt, jacket and accessories, and if you wanted to go more industrial then the neck guard/shoulder armor fits right into Steampunk!  Why settle for one or the other when you could have both, and with interchangeable pieces?!?  ;) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Auryn

damn you are smart
I wouldn't have thought of that

ohhhhh the wheels are spinning

Rani Zemirah

Heheh...  Why, thank ya', ma'am!  ;)

Can't WAIT ti see what you come up with!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Zardoz

Quote from: Auryn on March 24, 2011, 03:13:41 PM
hmmm
so how do you carry around costumes if your not a vendor (with booth space to hide your stuff) and not staying in one of the main hotels??

hmmmmm

I have friends that do 3-5 hall costumes per day, they bring a rolling clothing rack and two bellman's carts full of crap to every con.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Rani Zemirah

Zardoz, do you know how they secure them during the day if they aren't staying in the hotel where the con is?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Zardoz

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on March 29, 2011, 12:21:59 AM
Zardoz, do you know how they secure them during the day if they aren't staying in the hotel where the con is?

They are always in the host hotel. Truth be told, the 5 change sort of thing is easier to do at local cons with 4 or 6 hundred people around, than something like Dragoncon where 50% of your day is waiting in lines. At Dragon or one of the big ComicCons they might do one for breakfast, and another for the afternoon, maybe a fancy one at night, or if there's a contest.  I'll add that unless they want to do the MIB thing or renfaire outfits, I limit my participation in that madness to making them rayguns and stuff!

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine