News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What should I line it with?

Started by LadyStitch, February 22, 2011, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

It all started as a joke, but turned into so much bigger, LSS, the PP "allowed" his new parts to be bumped down a slot in my order of making things so that I could make 2 of my good friends a set of fur bikini barbarian outfits.  ::)

I made the bodices' patterns, and I've worked with fur before but I have never actually made a bra before. I'm not quite sure what I should line the inside with. Traditionally I line with broadcloth so it will soak of the sweat better how ever that doesn't feel so food on the 'girls' after a long day at the faire.  Some one suggested I line the whole thing with tricot but I'm not sure that would stand up all day. 
My options look like I line just the bra cups with the tricot and the rest with the broadcloth. OR try to line the whole thing with spandex or something.

I'm looking for suggestions.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Kate XXXXXX

What sort of fur is it, and is it washable?

If not, make a removable cotton or linen liner.  You could try making one from the sort of wicking poly knit type stuff the climbers and arctic explorers use for their long johns...

Sitara

When I made one, I used flannel on the straps and "lined" the cups with removable bra cups so they could be washed. I attached the removable cups with a simple hook and eye.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

LadyStitch

She wants to use the left over grey/black fur from my werewolf costume. It is machine washable. It's just faux 'wolf' fur. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Most Faux Fur is washable in a  Gentle Cycle with some liquid Fabric Softner added to the Rinse Cycle, then hang dry. Brush Fur with a soft tined Fur Brush.

I have made many a Barbarian vest out of Faux Furs, then lined with Denim when I worked at the costume shop, or for special orders for Minnesota Viking fans who wanted their own ensembles to wear to games.

A broadcloth or soft denim should suffice as  a permanent lining.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

I'm going with Sitara's suggestion of removable bra cups.

Adriana Rose

Im with the removable cups out of a soft fabric

Rowan MacD

The removable cups would fit and be more comfortable, and the 'girls' will stay where they are put.  Another advantage (a big one) is that it keeps the costume from chaffing tender parts.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Adriana Rose

Hats off to the ladies that are brave enough to wear that! I could never be comfortable showing that much skin at faire.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I'm not a sewing person - yet - but couldn't you just take an existing bra that she wears (or buy the same style & size) and cover it with fabric?  Because a bra would be comfortable to wear all day long.  Then the whole thing could be thrown in the washer.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyShadow

Thats what I was thinking Lady Renee. But I am very interested in how this project turns out.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)