News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Eyelet thread again? I mean, what thread for eyelets?

Started by gem, February 22, 2011, 11:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Not, let's have another thread about eyelets! Which I guess this is, so oh well!  ::)

Anyway, I'm experimenting with the eyelets for my kirtle, and I can't remember what kind of thread Kate told us to use. I have silk in my stash (in another color for another project), so I'm pretty sure that was one of them. But the thread I bought for these is Sulky rayon embroidery thread, which is breaking (and also really, really, really thin). The instructor at my sewing studio told me rayon is too weak for the strain/abrasion of eyelets, and suggested I pick something else.

Recommendations?  (I have a dead-on match for color with some DMC six-stranded embroidery floss, but I don't like the look.)

Lady Rebecca

On my hand bound eyelets, I used heavy duty polyester thread, which seems to be working pretty well. On my machine bound eyelets, I used normal weight machine cotton quilting thread.

Kate XXXXXX

Things I like to use for machine stitched eyeles:

YLI silk filament thread
YLI 100 weight cotton thread
rayon machine embroidery thread
Coates Seta Reale silk thread
Poly embroidery thread
Gutterman serger thread (which is fine and high gloss)

I tend to use a matching (well, close as I have it!) 120's poly as a bobbin thread for the machine embroidery threa, silk top and bottom with the silk threads, and cotton top and bottom with the cotton threads.

Others that can work well are:

Coates Cotton 100 weight
Aurifil 100 weight cotton