News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Noble garb for 9 year old

Started by Queen Genevieve, March 12, 2011, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Genevieve

I am working on a gown for a young lady of 9.  She is going to be playing the part of a princess.  Should I put boning in her bodice?   ???
Queen Genevieve

Meagan

I would put light boning by the laces to keep the material from buckling. As long as the material is stiff enough not to buckle you shouldn't need to use boning anywhere else. For a nine year old I would line thinner material with a stiffer one to avoid boning as they are quite active and I wouldn't want to hinder movement. 

DonaCatalina

You need to get togther with JulesSweetie.
The Dirt Fairy has started asking for noble garb and she has come up with some knockout stuff that is comfortable for an active girl less than 8 years old.
Quote from: julessweetie on December 01, 2010, 10:47:28 AM
Okay Dirt Fairy Fans...here is the last installment for 2010! 

The Dirt Fairy's new Holiday Court Gown and Cloak  ;D

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady L

My granddaughter just turned 10. I have been making boned bodices for her for several years. I use cotton duck interlining, cotton lining and either corduroy or something similar for the outer layer. Some of them I boned in front, by the lacing. The last 3 I moved the lacing to the back, so that's where the boning is. It just helps to keep the fabric from bunching, as Meagan stated. I used the half inch wide plastic duct cables for the boning. I drafted the pattern myself, which was easy, because she has a very straight, standard size and shape.

Former Shop Owner at MNRF