News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

color conundrum

Started by Wickedvox, May 03, 2011, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wickedvox

Hello all! I have a question about releasing dye from a fabric. My mom gave me these damask (?) tablecloths she attempted to dye pink. I don't mind the color, but right smack in the middle of the fabric is this huge area where the dye concentrated (?) and is dark and splotchy. If I dye over it, maybe red, will it re-dye unevenly in that area? She tried color remover, as well as bleaching and neither worked. I know ZILCH about dyes except to dump Ritz in some water and mix! Help!
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

Adriana Rose

Id say use a bigger dye bath like a big tote or the washing machine. I have never used the washing machine to dye because I feared that my mother would kick my rear between my ears lol.

But the standard dye bath I use the HOTTEST water I can get my hands on, usually a mix of the hottest tap water and the equal amount of boiling water. To dye over the previous dye you need to double the amount of dye say 2 or 3 packages. You will have a slightly darker spot depending on the color if you go another color I think. Does she remeber what color she used? maybe you could try a longer soak in the same color dye?

Wickedvox

I believe she used  a dark pink and was able to get it down to a soft pink--with the dark splotches :/ That's why I was thinking red, it's in the same color group at least. Plus, I don't have anything red, it'd be nice to add it to the wardrobe. Something Pirate-y maybe  ;D Thanks for the advice, I will try doubling up the dye.
"Not all those who wander are lost..."