News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Masquerade

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 20, 2011, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

Hey all,
We are thinking of doing our first masquerade ball (at the michigan ren festival). We have a few weeks, and it is formal and requires masks. I'm sorry this is long-winded. But we are about to drop a ton of money on going and staying over (and we are celebrating 7 years together) so I'm trying to do this right!

I know all you amazing people can help!!!

First, I have to put together some masks or buy them. I have a few things I need some opinions on. My husband is ... very particular. I hate to say 'typical' but he's got this attitude of "nothing frou frou!" So for him, I think something very plain. Leather maybe? Or faux leather? I do think he went as Zorro one year at Halloween, so I think he wore a mask, anyways... where do I get one that isn't too expensive and also doesn't look like a cheap plastic one.  His garb right now consists of a deep red and black leather vest with a little 'ledge' sleeve (it's not much of a sleeve, but...). He wears black leather boots and black pants. He also has a bunch of belts with shiney buckles and his giant broadsword. I've got to also get him an undershirt. So I need an opinion on what to get for that too. Normally he wears just a sleevless t under because its so hot. But this is considered 'formal.'

SO for hubby, need help on mask and shirt.

Second, for me:  I love feathers and birdcage veils. I have a few yards of black birdcage material and a few feather options. But my husband says that wearing that over my eyes (the veil) isn't enough of a mask. I think it is, but I want some opinions. I can wear it just over my eyes and pin the feathers at my ear. Or I can do the half face thing. I am going to add crystals to the corners randomly (which I don't know where to get either). But what do you all think?

I also have a hat and a snood that I haven't worn yet. But I can't do all that AND a mask, I don't think. Unless youcan think of a way to use the veiling with the hat and stuff?

Here ist he hat and snood I have (minus the gold buckle, I have no buckle):  http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_570xN.208683056.jpg

I also have a skirt that is just plain washable taffeta polyester. I want to get some crinoline or something underenath , but I'm not sure if I should spend the money on it, or forgo it. Anyone have ideas on this? Pretty big night for us all.

SORRY for this being so long. Ugh.

Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

gem

For you, a mask on a stick, which won't interfere with your hat:

I bought mine, but they also sell mask-on-a-stick kits at JoAnn (Milord decorated one for me last year as an anniversary gift). You would want most of your decoration to be on the mask itself, not like the spray of feathers on mine, so it doesn't get tangled with the decoration on your hat.

For your DH, just buy him a nice white shirt (garb shirt, I mean). You can get them pretty much anywhere. Sofi's are nice.

Bonny Pearl

Oooh fun!  The first thing that came to my mind was the masquerade ball scene from the Sophia Coppola, Marie Antionette movie.  Have you seen that?  Might get some ideas from that.

Anyway, I just did a quick search on 'masked ball masks' on Bing a ton of images came up. :)

Here is the link:  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=masked+ball+masks&qs=AS&sk=IM1AS1#x0y0
May give you some inspiration to make something.  Perhaps you can find some inexpensive plain masks and add to them.

Let us know how everything turns out!  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

LAVAGODDESSSS

Thank you! I'll ask him about what color shirt he wants. I wonder if he is fancy enough though. Any ideas how to 'fancy' him up? His garb is meant to be my body guard. As in, I'm the important one ;) heh. His idea. Best one he ever had. :P

Anyways, I think maybe a black shirt will work well in the future for anything else too. I'll check out Sofi's.

LadyShadow

There is a fun shop near me, they have costumes and depending on the time of year party stuff and more. And for varrying prices and quality they have tons of masquerade masks. Plenty of good quality ones for inexpensive prices. You might want to see if there is a shop like that near you and see what selection they have. I know mine has at least 50 different kinds and that is what is on the wall and not in the display cases.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LAVAGODDESSSS

LadyShadow,

Thank you, but I live in a small town. I doubt we have anything near us like that. At least there is nothing in town.

Is it a chain store?

LadyShadow

Not sure if they are a chain store. But this is a link to their site (directly to the mardi gras mask section) http://www.mardigraspartysupply.com/mardi%20gras%20masks/

If you dont find anything under that section you can do a search on their site for mask and it has more. Hope it helps some.

But there in store selection is greater than what they have on the site.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dinobabe

I buy the hard plastic white masks (eyes only or whole face) and make a paper mache one that is much bigger.  Then I cut out the shape I want, paint, cover with feathers/jewels/etc.  You can mache the stick right into it.  Remember to leave the back open so you can pull the plastic mask to make more!  Great way to make the perfect mask for a picky hubby! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

isabelladangelo

Considering what he wants to wear, have you considered dressing him up as the man in black, the Dread Pirate Roberts, from the Princess Bride?  You could easily wear the Princess wedding outfit or the "I give to you my Queen!" outfit.   The mask you wear could be made out of the left over materials if you go that route.  There are people who make the outfits based off of movies if you don't want to sew it yourself.  (Lord of the Rings is an excellent example since there is still a ton of outfits being offered based on them on Ebay)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 20, 2011, 06:16:45 PM
Considering what he wants to wear, have you considered dressing him up as the man in black, the Dread Pirate Roberts, from the Princess Bride?  You could easily wear the Princess wedding outfit or the "I give to you my Queen!" outfit.   The mask you wear could be made out of the left over materials if you go that route.  There are people who make the outfits based off of movies if you don't want to sew it yourself.  (Lord of the Rings is an excellent example since there is still a ton of outfits being offered based on them on Ebay)

I've a dozen corsets and things that I want to wear. My outfit isn't the problem - his is. I'm not sure how to get his to look more ... "Formal". :S  Just not into spending a ton of money and I love all the things I have. In fact, most of them are too fancy to wear just to the faire, so this is a great opportunity. I just don't want him to feel out of place. His vest looks like, from my research, to be nobleman style. We just don't have a shirt for under and I think as for a mask, I may offer him the Dread pirate roberts. Though he'll want to wear his red and black vest. We are really limited in what he can wear. We don't have the moeny to do much more than buy him a new shirt.

Oh...and to make the mask.

Thank you Dinobabe! I may try my hand at paper mache. I wonder if anyone has any leather mask makers they know of? I just want a simple one, if I can buy it. He may not love me putting any bedazzling on his ;) though mine ont he other hand...lol.

Betty Munro

Look in the gallery of finished projects, CRAFTS.  There is a gentleman that makes gorgeous leather masks.  I don't remember if he has a shop, but it is a good place to start. 

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 20, 2011, 07:32:06 PM
Look in the gallery of finished projects, CRAFTS.  There is a gentleman that makes gorgeous leather masks.  I don't remember if he has a shop, but it is a good place to start. 

Thanks!!!

I did a search and didn't come up with much, but now that you've narrowed it down. That'll help.

Betty Munro

Orphena

Ok - here are my 2 cents:

Mask for hubby - I actually found NON glossy plastic masks at the dollar store (I am Canadian, so products may change), and I painted them with normal acrilic craft paint. Halloween approaches, so I am sure there are such things available, even in a small town? The masks I found are black on the back, and silver on the front (really more grey, with a slight pearly look). They have ribbon ties (which will need re-gluing!). My husband and I made a project of it, and painted about 20 one afternoon, and they look fabulous - not fru fru, some plain in colour, some with cool designs - and neither one of us is what you would call an accomplished painter.  Abstract is fine for such things. Total cost - about $2.

I would get a long sleeved shirt for your hubby - make sure it is made of 100% cotton or linen, and it will dress him up just fine. Boots and a fab hat, if that is in the budget / wardrobe will transform him into more noble. Long sleeves will add to that - and with them being 100% cotton, is is more wearable, even in the heat. Put a pair of fancy leather bracers in his head for sometime in the future, and you may sell him on this!

For you - I would use that hat netting, and, perhaps use makeup to make a mask around your eyes. Use colours that compliment your garb, go crazy, keep the mask SHAPE, and use the the netting as you desire - a masquerade is about being unique and creative - and you will stand out - besides, masks can get HOT to wear, and the ones on the stick I invariably put down somewhere, or my arm gets tired - and if you are eating, or dancing, you cannot keep it at your face all night. Makeup will stay put.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 20, 2011, 09:14:09 PM
Rogue Hidesmith makes them.
Try this link:
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=53.240

Hi LavaGoddess! Here's a link to more of my masks. If you're interested, send me a PM :)

Also, thank you for the compliment Betty :)
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603