News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Masquerade

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 20, 2011, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Orphena on August 24, 2011, 06:47:58 AM
Ok - here are my 2 cents:

Mask for hubby - I actually found NON glossy plastic masks at the dollar store (I am Canadian, so products may change), and I painted them with normal acrilic craft paint. Halloween approaches, so I am sure there are such things available, even in a small town? The masks I found are black on the back, and silver on the front (really more grey, with a slight pearly look). They have ribbon ties (which will need re-gluing!). My husband and I made a project of it, and painted about 20 one afternoon, and they look fabulous - not fru fru, some plain in colour, some with cool designs - and neither one of us is what you would call an accomplished painter.  Abstract is fine for such things. Total cost - about $2.

I would get a long sleeved shirt for your hubby - make sure it is made of 100% cotton or linen, and it will dress him up just fine. Boots and a fab hat, if that is in the budget / wardrobe will transform him into more noble. Long sleeves will add to that - and with them being 100% cotton, is is more wearable, even in the heat. Put a pair of fancy leather bracers in his head for sometime in the future, and you may sell him on this!

For you - I would use that hat netting, and, perhaps use makeup to make a mask around your eyes. Use colours that compliment your garb, go crazy, keep the mask SHAPE, and use the the netting as you desire - a masquerade is about being unique and creative - and you will stand out - besides, masks can get HOT to wear, and the ones on the stick I invariably put down somewhere, or my arm gets tired - and if you are eating, or dancing, you cannot keep it at your face all night. Makeup will stay put.

Hi! You gave me some great tips. He has a leather ... vest? Got it at the ren fest. I believe it is 'noble' ish. And bracers. The shirt is the one we see a thousand versions of and weren't sure what to do. He gets hot easily. I think you have it right, just go cotton!

As for my mask, you really have helped. I'm going to do the hat nettingI want to wear the netting pretty badly, I just love the look. But wasn't sure if it was 'mask' enough. I think the makeup idea really will help. Since it is as the end of the day, I can head back to the hotel and do it, and not worry about walking around in it allll day.

Thank you m'dear!
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

LAVAGODDESSSS

I love this Mask, what do you all think? If I can't get the netting from my 'hat' material to cooperate, I think I'll just go this route (ignore her corset, I think its lovely, but I wouldn't wear it :D )

And I'm getting these gloves and this collar. Was super reasonable, couldn't pass it up for this formal masquerade ball. :D

Betty Munro

Since you are already pulling from multiple periods ... LOVE IT!!!  I love the lace mask for a masquerade.
Don't lace that corset too tight!  LOL!

Adriana Rose

Ohh you could do what they had Kirsten Dunst do in Marie Antonette and do a face painted mask,

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 24, 2011, 09:11:57 PM
Since you are already pulling from multiple periods ... LOVE IT!!!  I love the lace mask for a masquerade.
Don't lace that corset too tight!  LOL!

For this one I gave up on going all one period, I figured I"ll have fun and wear all my favorite pieces. I'm not sure masks are period anyways, as in, if i wanted to go with one period, I'm not sure there were 'typical' masks.

ANd that corset there is not what I"m wearing, lol, she looks lovely, but i'm not built like her. I'd need some tissue ;)
Or water balloons, or something.  Heh.  

LOL. Just laughing thinking about me in that corset.

I'm excited, it's rare I get to get really really really dressed up. Maybe I'm making too much out of it, but even when I go to the faire I have to make sure I don't get too far into it because of the heat, the rain, the insanity. I dont' put on too much makeup, etc.

Betty Munro

I meant the neck corset.  Or corset collar.  Not sure what to call it.  That is so cool!

Orphena

Dressing up is the biggest joy of faire for me! Ok, and being called "m'lady!" Have fun - I don't think it is possible to go over board for a renaissance festival masquerade - that's like a party at a party!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 24, 2011, 09:28:05 PM
I meant the neck corset.  Or corset collar.  Not sure what to call it.  That is so cool!

I'm super excited about it. I may have to forgo this though, what do you think?

I was going to wear that ruffly thingy with my corset (my shirt under the corset is merely a short sleeved peasant top, and really unnoticeable - and meant to bet hat way).

But now that I am getting this neck collar thing, I'm not sure I should wear both.

Orphena

Totally wear it! looks incredible!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Betty Munro

I LOVE the jewels, and I think if you're wearing the "neck corset", that the jewels would be a fantstic layer.  If you already own them both, try it ...
I LOVE the ruffled shoulder cap sleevie things.  And I love the bullets in the corset. 
Freaking awesome!

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Betty Munro on August 25, 2011, 07:15:06 AM
I LOVE the jewels, and I think if you're wearing the "neck corset", that the jewels would be a fantstic layer.  If you already own them both, try it ...
I LOVE the ruffled shoulder cap sleevie things.  And I love the bullets in the corset. 
Freaking awesome!

I wish I owned that bullet corset. She sold out before I could get my first piece of steampunk wear (I believe that'd be what it is).

I have the neck corset, and the ruffled shoulder cap sleevie things. I wasn't sure if wearing both would be overkill. OR JUUUSSSTTT right. lol

Thank you Betty, I was hoping I wasn't going overboard. Such fun.

Adriana Rose

You are going to look smashing! Thank you for letting us play dress up with you ( even if its online still the picture in my head of how you are going to look is FAB)

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Adriana Rose on August 26, 2011, 10:14:30 AM
You are going to look smashing! Thank you for letting us play dress up with you ( even if its online still the picture in my head of how you are going to look is FAB)

I'm so excited - almost moreso than for my own darn wedding. LOL! Thank you all for helping me ... don't know how to say it, BE more excited.  Your enthusiasm is inspiring and soothing. I was afraid that maybe I got too excited and overshared. I absolutely PROMISE to show pictures. We have someone coming with that is a prof. photog, and while they are there for the masquerade, I also know they won't be able to resist!!!

As an Update...

--The masquerade ball is in a few weeks. It is on Friday 23 Sept. So I have less than a month to finish up everything.

--I just ordered and rec'd the black ruffly vest thing (it went with the bullet corset, which I'm not wearing, but love).

--I just ordered the lace neck piece, fingerless gloves, and matching mask. It should be here soon.

--On it's way is my long black skirt (though it is nothing crazy special, I'll finally have a skirt that hits the floor! All the rest have been too short, so I look like a flood may hit soon). I have yet to find tulle or crinoline for beneath it, but I've got some leads thanks to the ladies here!

--And the only thing I'm not sure on yet clothing wise is my shirt for beneath my corset (which is black and silver striped). Most of my corsets are black or have some black in them, so I dont' mind buying something since I'll wear it again. I do have a short sleeved peasant top, that'll work. But it's ho-hum, but perhaps thats what it needs!

-- Last decision is how to wear my hair. I have long blonde hair and have a hair piece that can be added in to make it longer. I do have a hat (From Blonde Swan) and a snood, but I think that with the neck piece, and the 'collar/cap sleeve' thingie it may be too much. So I need something elegant for my hair, I can remove the feathers from the hat and use those. But any suggestions would be outstanding!I possibly could go without the shoulder cap thingy and do the hat/snood with the lace collar, or do hat no snood...etc. Not sure at all!!!

Ok enough rambling from me...seriously. lol.

Adriana Rose

How long is your hair?

Maybe some nice curls kind of like the neck corset picture? I personally love a head full of curly Q's with some pretty things in it.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Adriana Rose on August 29, 2011, 11:01:29 AM
How long is your hair?

Maybe some nice curls kind of like the neck corset picture? I personally love a head full of curly Q's with some pretty things in it.

Well....depends. My normal hair is shoulder length in back...erm, chest level in front. Odd, I know, but it suites me. No one can tell the difference if I curl it though.

I do have a half hair piece that makes my hair to the middle of my back that I often wear to faire. I coudl curl it up, but what do I put in it? I have a long feathered hat pin...or perhaps a feathered flower? I dunno. I need help!