News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Say it isn't so.....

Started by Elkyn, August 23, 2011, 12:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkyn

I've just heard a terrible rumor that the Scarborough Faire grounds are on fire- and reports are it's not looking good. Can anyone confirm!!! :-[

captmarga

Yes, it is so.  People who live down the street have seen the flames.  Everyone, please do not panic and fan the rumor-mill flames.  No one knows how bad it is.  It has apparently gone to six-alarm, there is probably building involvement.  I say probably, I do not know for sure, but the location of the flames make it probable.

Those in the know will post facts when they are hard and fast.  Radio and TV do have tiny blurbs about it, but no details are posted. 

For now, everyone pray to your lords, gods and minor deities of choice!

Marga/Jofranka
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Elkyn

Well, thanks for the info. I do hope that the damage isn't bad.

dbaldock

A short, 34 second video has been posted on YouTube by the TexasStormChasers -

8/22/2011 - Scarborough Renaissance Festival Fire - Waxahachie, TX

There is a certain amount of information in the description below the video.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Rebecca

AngelVII

It's been confirmed that one male worker died, and 7 buildings were totally destroyed... I've been up all night talking  to a friend who works at Screams, on facebook, and listening to the police scanners for Ellis county... after awhile though they took everything off the main frequency to keep them open for other needs.

But WFAA posted this awhile ago-
http://www.wfaa.com/news/Fire-at-renaissance-festival-one-dead-128229888.html

I am so so so sorry to the family, and to everyone. This is a sad day.

The mans identity hasn't been released yet for obvious reasons...
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

I'm sure by the morning news at 5am, lots of channels will have picked up the story and we'll all have more info.
Not all who wander are lost =)

Merlin the Elder

This is terrible. The buildings can be replaced, but the man cannot. My energies are being sent to his family. I will be monitoring this at work today... please keep us posted, or linked to more information.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

AngelVII

It's on channel 8.1 wfaa news right now, the story will be playing off and on all morning I'm sure...

AngelVII

News on channel 11 when they come back from commercial...

AngelVII

The cause is still under investigation, they think it started in the apartment of one of the grounds keepers.
His identity still has not been released.

It took 40 firefighters over 4 hours to put out.

1 firefighter was injured and taken to Baylor, but he should be fine...

DonaCatalina

Oh no. This is awful. I dread finding out who was killed.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

AngelVII

They wont release his identity until his family has been properly notified, obviously... But I'm right there with you. They did say it was someone that lived on premisis though. It's all over channels 4, 5, 8, and 11 news right now though, so I'm sure you can see more info as it becomes available this morning.

Merlin the Elder

Thanks for the info, Angel. Do any of those stations run live feed online? I'm in central Arkansas, but Scarby is our home faire, and we are very attached to the people and the faire, whether we personally know them or not. Some way to monitor the situation would be most appreciated.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Hercules

About 7am the news reporter on site said the owners were calling FDs back-out again as some hot-spots were flaring up.

This drought and blazing heat couldn't have helped. 
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Aaroncois

That's so terrible. My sincere condolences to the whole Scarby family for your loss.