News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

bandanna?

Started by jackrocks, September 01, 2011, 08:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackrocks

Im working on my dh's outfit for faire. Im going for a pirate-ish look, something like Jack Sparrow-ish. So far, we have the white shirt, light blue waistcoat, some material sashes to go around the waist, and a tricorn hat that Im not entirely sure he will wear.

I'd like for him to wear something about his head, but Im not sure what that should be. A typical red bandanna, the square type? for a previous faire, he used a long rectangle piece of burgundy fabric. It looked okay, but bulky and Im not sure that I tied it correctly in the back, as the knot just seemed so big.

I have beads on a string of hemp that Id like to include (attached to the material, and under the hat).

what works/looks best? a regular red bandanna, or material? what type/pattern of material? and if material, how do you cut it and tie it so it isnt so bulky in the back?

arbcoind

My pirate wears a do rag under his hat.  You can make your own out of a square bandana.  Lay the bandana over his head, bring the corners around the back of his head and tie into a knot.  Tuck the remaining bandana under the knot.

The trick is to use a small enough bandana, so as not to have too much fabric.

Gina

Rowan MacD

I use a triangle of bubble cotton.  It's cool, stretchy enough to stay put and looks suitably rumpled.   I made a few of these for nieces and nephews, and they stay on pretty well.  If they lose them, no big deal (unless they have a pricey bead dangle attached, my solution to that below).  
  Cut a triangle with one side half again longer than the other two, with the long end long enough to go around your head with enough left to tie off.
  With the long side across the forehead and the rest draped over the top of the head;  tie the ends behind the head over the remaining corner.  Fits under most hats and looks good on it's own.
  To decorate, I sewed a few micro braids made from fake nylon hair (Nobbies) that reasonably matches the wearers' hair, onto the edges, approximately even with where the ears are.  I also beaded them so I don't have to do anything with real hair, and they don't fall off.  
  It takes maybe an hour to make, and most of that is the braiding and beading.  The braids are melted on the ends so they don't unravel and to keep the beads on,  and the material is not hemmed.  I sew them on by machine, then just roll the edge of the scarf up to the inside to hide the mini seams.
  I just throw them away when the scarf gets too damaged to use. Bubble cotton is cheap.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

http://www.history.org/history/clothing/men/mglossary.cfm

This above has an awesome list of actual 18th century garments -assuming you are going for the Golden Age of Piracy?

If it's cool enough, I'd go with a simple Monmouth Cap.   Knitted caps have been found in shipwrecks (the Mary Rose, a 16th C shipwreck had at least one knitted cap) and were often worn by sailors.   Given the style (the site above has a great picture) your basic thin winter skull cap would work.

However, during the summer, it was perfectly acceptable to not wear a hat at all or any head-covering.  I'd forgo any head-covering other than a cap, wig, or hat.