News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Work in Progress: Instruction Manual for First Time RenFest Goers

Started by LibraryPrincess, October 19, 2011, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryPrincess

I am working on majoring in English, and a project I get to work on for my technical writing course is creating an instruction manual for people who are attending the Texas Renaissance Festival for the first time. The goal is to help readers have the most fun possible, and not feel like a fish out of water, for their first RenFest experience.

I know each festival is different, but I was hoping some of you would be willing to help me out by telling me:

• What are some things a first-timer should be aware of before attending?
  • What elements make a great RenFest experience?

Any other pearls of wisdom you feel like sharing are greatly welcome. ^_^
Much thanks in advance!

- Desi
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

Lady Kett

Dress appropriately for the weather! In garb or mundanes, be prepared for whatever the weather will be.
I'm amazed at the people who wear flip flops. I warned our daughter the first time she went that she might appreciate close-toed shoes and she thanked me for it later.

Bring cash. You'll need it for food/drink at the very least. Don't pay those ATM fees!

I also warn people that we take that the shows ask for tips. That way they are mentally prepared. The first time I invited a newbie, I didn't warn them and they got up and left when they realized they would be asked for a tip (and before the "just come shake our hands" part of the spiel too!). I was appalled!

Bring your camera and feel free to take pics.

And lastly, not everyone in garb works there and knows where everything is, but most do know where a lot of things are. :)

Those are my newbie tips I give to people! Well, that and "get there before cannon, that's when happy hour starts" but you may not want to put that in your paper!

LibraryPrincess

Thanks for the tips!

Also, what is this "happy hour before cannon" you speak of? /o.O\ I've been missing out on something!
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

arbcoind

Happy Hour before cannon equals tailgating in the parking lot.  At many faires it is commom for the regulars (and irregulars) to meet up in the parking lot to eat and drink (and get dressed) well before cannon.  "Cannon" means the shooting of a cannon to indicate the opening of the faire gates.

Gina

Aiacha

I learned this last year from some friends who told me they didn't really 'get' NYRF the first time they went.  Take time to look in the shops.  Some people just walk by.  Stop and smell the candles.  Sample the lotion.  Smell the leather.  You never know what you will find. 

Also, since this is a guide for TRF, the time you leave is just as important as the time you arrive.  If you wait until after the closing show you WILL sit in traffic.  Plan on it.

LadyStitch

One of the things I learned quickly is that if you are curious about something,  'ASK!'
What is the best place to eat? recomendation on shows? adult beverages?  To quote all the travel shows," Ask the locals." 
The 'locals' of the ren faire are most likely anyone wearing garb.  Most people in garb  have been to the faire enough that they know the place well, and can give you good suggestions. 

A little extra on the whole photos thing. Other than making sure you bring one, with an extra charged battery, and memory stick.  You don't have to be sneaky taking pictures of people.  If you see someone in an intresting outfit, or your kid would like a photo with a performer after a show.  Walk up to them and ask.  I will say one of the things that makes the Pink Pirate's day is when someone asks to take their picture with him.  Be it guys in studden leather, or a parent that's child is intrested in my husband's Drabbit. It seems to me that the highest form of flattery for a patron is someone asking to take their picture.
Lastly something I did on my first time but I wish I had not was  running from show to show.  Pick some shows but enjoy walking from place to place exploring the shops and cast along the way. You will miss out on alot if you just run from show to show and do not take in the things along the way.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Don't be afraid to interact with the cast or playtrons.  The TRF cast is a friendly lot, as are most of us playtrons... don't be put off if one of us start talking to you out of the blue.  Laird Nasty and I are a walking, talking, comedy routine... although our comedy tends to be a bit more on the "rough" side.  ;)  Most of us don't bite... well, Nasty does but we won't talk about that in polite company.   :D

The phrase "Lift up your cares" means many things to many people but use TRF to forget about your everyday life for a while and allow the magic of the place to seep away your stress and worries.  There isn't any place quite like it...

*read RELAX*
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

DonaCatalina

A few things I usually mention to first timers.

Wear comfortable shoes, preferebly closed toe since you will likely be walking in the equivalent of a cow pasture with rocks, sticks and stinging insects.

Be aware of what you're wearing and the weather. Your polyester polo shirt may be fine foe most things but if its 95 desgrees with 100% humidity, you will die. If you want to rent garb if that option is available, this is especially critical. That polyester velvet piece may look royal, but it will be hotter than a $2 pistol.

Bring cash but don't keep all of it in one place. It is very easy to lose a twenty when you are digging out that couple of bucks for a tip. You will need cash for food, drinks, tips and the occasional small item.

Bring something to carry your stuff that you will be comfortable with and not leave on a bench at one of the shows. I recommend fanny packs or belt pouches or similar.

Bring some water or sodas to keep in the car in a cooler. You will be thirstier than you expect when you leave.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LibraryPrincess

Thank you all for your advice! I hope to see some of you at TRF when I go again for the Highland Fling!
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Kiss-me-Kate

The other thing I can't stress enough, SUNSCREEN!!!!

Apply liberally, and often.   Your bewbs , and face will appreciate the lack of burn.   8)
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

LibraryPrincess

Haha! So true! And I found that out the hard way this past weekend. XP Itchy-burnt bewbs is no fun, and embarrassing to explain at work.

Also, as far as the after-faire traffic, this is why I hang out with Tartanic after closing, and my gang keeps the car well-stocked with awesome CDs (sometimes ones we bought while at faire) to chill to while in traffic.
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Captain Dungcaster

If Garbed folks smile and greet you give it back.
Some of us try very hard to be period in Garb and Manners. Respect that. It is our chance to get away from the mundane of everyday life.
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

amy

Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk to everyone.   It took me years to learn to mix and mingle with the other guests and playtrons but once I finally got over the lump in my throat and opened my mouth a whole new world opens up.   Don't worry about using "faire-speak", I can't do that very well either, but start with "good day" and enjoy the rest!

<Alex>

A word of warning: Not all acts are entirely wholesome. It's mostly innuendo, but some shows can have fairly explicit language/scenarios.  Please heed the warnings.

Also, if you plan on staying until dusk and watching the show, also plan on remaining on the grounds or in the parking lot for a few hours afterwards. The traffic can be very slow.

Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Captain Dungcaster on October 20, 2011, 07:13:36 PM
If Garbed folks smile and greet you give it back.
Some of us try very hard to be period in Garb and Manners. Respect that. It is our chance to get away from the mundane of everyday life.
So true! I don't usually work at the faires I go to, but I am aware that a lot of folks think I do.
 I try to behave in a way that will reflect well on the faire and the paid performers.   I don't expect a response to every greeting and well wish I dispense, but I am grateful for any acknowledgment of the same.  

My contribution:
~Faires are usually a 'family show' more or less, and there are children present.  If you decide to attend in garb the first time you go, please curb your language and do not get sloppy drunk the first opportunity you get.

~Try the Scotch Eggs

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt