News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New small fair/medieval market in Taylor, MS

Started by animenadie, October 20, 2011, 02:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

animenadie

Hello all!

I'm Natalie. I'm new to the forums, and I was hoping for some tips from other fair goers and organizers.

Some friends and I are planning (on admittedly short notice) to have a small, medieval market/mini renaissance fair in the small town of Taylor, MS on November 19th. Obviously we can't go all-out in authenticity (location, time, and funds, oh dear) but we're hoping to capture the spirit of things and generally have a good time for all. I love fairs, and sadly there aren't any in our area (north MS) that I'm aware of, so we'd like to have a little something. We're still gathering people to participate and merchants to sell or show their craft, so we haven't yet gotten things finalized.

I wanted to post here to ask if anyone has any planning tips or ideas to help a small, budding event be as fun as can be on short notice? If it has a decent turnout, it will probably be an annual thing. We hope so. So far we plan on an afternoon event for families, with a more grown up theme after dark, lasting until 10pm. Ideas for either part are much appreciated.

Thanks!

temper

Hi Natalie first welcome and two some more resources for you:
On facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RenPerfMerch?ref=ts
More listings here:
http://www.phoenixswords.com/links.html

and I'll PM you will my contact info I've run faires, worked them as a performer, and run a group. There are a lot of pitfalls and I hope everyone gives you some great advice.
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

animenadie

Thanks!

I am LOVING the FB page link, and also the Phoenix Swords! Looks amazing and the links are a great help (plentiful sources for everything!)

Looking at your acts (which I am THRILLED to see include women in combat) makes me sigh wistfully. Hopefully if this does well our next event will see us having time and funds to book professional swordplay. As it is, most of our entertainment (which includes myself in one show) is volunteer staff.

Right now we're having trouble figuring whether or not to charge a nominal entrance fee. The area we're using is kind of easy to just walk into. We considered having a donation box and encouraging the "honor system". Does anyone else have experience with this?

renfairephotog

Welcome to the forums. It's great to see new faire start. Here'a the FAQ's page on my site with links to advice on starting a faire.  I keep a faire calendar, I'll send you a pm so I can add your faire.

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

This is today 1-10. I don't know how many MS area people we have on here. But visit if you are nearby.
Fairy photographer

animenadie

Our fair was small, the wind tried to kill all our tents, and a huge football game was taking place nearby, but it was a success! Everyone who attended had a blast, the local SCA came out, we had kids lined up at every activity, and our musicians and performers were all fantastic! The most amazing part is that all of this was voluntary. It came together out of people's commitment and passion to see it through. I am proud to have been a part of it, and now we know it will happen again next year!

I want to thank you guys for all the advice and for putting us in the calendar, giving helpful links, getting the word out and stuff. Thanks so, so much!

renfairephotog

Glad the faire was successful. Also glad you are planning for next year. It's 4.5 hrs from nashville. I'd like to try to make it next year just depends on timing.
Fairy photographer

animenadie

temper

Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel