News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Our first year here!! Question about campgrounds..

Started by Duke of Remington, January 26, 2012, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke of Remington

I have not seen any recent talk of the campgrounds. I was curious of how they were? Condition ? Enjoyment? I have only camped at TRF, do I was curious of the differences? Both good and bad if possible. Can't wait to get there! Thanks
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

*Teach*

Basic camping. Just like at TRF, anything you bring in you bring out and bring in anything you think you will need.
The campgrounds are smaller than TRF but are more controlled (as in there is better security).
If you like roughing it like at TRF then you will like it here too.
If you are looking for a clan to camp with I know of one that is always looking for more bodies to keep our numbers up :-)

*Bring rum and camp, thats the basic plan I go with*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Duke of Remington

Thanks for the quick response. Roughing it is the way to go!! Oh and plenty of rum and mead we shall have!

Do they have like a drum circle or any get together type event at the campgrounds?
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

KiltedPrivateer

The drum circle at Sherwood is hosted by Valhalla each night.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

rengypsy

hi. i am one of the two owners of sherwood and have long been a trf participant and patron.  i think there are similarities and huge differences.  from the onset, our desire at sherwood was to create an environment within the campgrounds that lended to the sense of community...as opposed to some of the rave-like qualities exhibited at trf.  not that we don't believe in partying--for we surely do.  but ours is usually around campfires, among friends, brothers and sisters of faire.  clans are a huge part of the development of sherwood camping.  we currently have in excess of 15 to 20 active clan camp grounds.  they are managed by the clan themselves.  they are responsible for the activities and behaviors within their camps.  it works well. 

there are several drumming circles that we frequent--valhalla and celtic rogues are the two most often active.  folk in general camping are welcome to roam about and find their space, their crowd. 

one night during faire, we have a large ceremony at the stone circle at night and open the grounds to campers and participants.  it is as close to spiritual an event as i have experienced.  lots of drums.  lots of fire spinners.  lots of gypsy dancers. 

the fire circle and drums are a significant aspect of the the faire and the after hours experience.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Austin Gypsys

Can't wait to camp this year! Have not been able to the past year so very excited this year, hopefully it will be night the grounds are reopened.

<Alex>

Quote from: Austin Gypsys on January 27, 2012, 11:37:08 AM
Can't wait to camp this year! Have not been able to the past year so very excited this year, hopefully it will be night the grounds are reopened.

While people won't be able to actually start camping until Friday afternoon, the grounds will be open every day from now until then, just in case you want to come in and set up your tent and site.
Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: <Alex> on January 27, 2012, 10:02:56 PM
Quote from: Austin Gypsys on January 27, 2012, 11:37:08 AM

While people won't be able to actually start camping until Friday afternoon, the grounds will be open every day from now until then, just in case you want to come in and set up your tent and site.

Are the grounds open to the general public or only to clans working on their reserved areas?  I was under the impression it was the latter.  Pullen should probably stop by and clarify for us.  Don't want anyone getting in trouble unnecessarily.
Lover of Lady Kitara

<Alex>

When I was out there this morning, I saw some tents set up in the general camping area, leading me to believe that people other than clan-campers had been out and about.

But now you've given me reason to rethink myself. I'll err on the side of caution.
Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

mpullen

The tents/campers in the General/Open campgrounds belong to folks who have Friends of Faire passes and I've already given them permission to setup their camps.

The main idea was allowing the clans/groups access to their areas to complete clearing and setup before opening weekend. We have four new groups for the 2012 season

Note that the availability expires this coming weekend - Feb 4-5. I have to make sure everyone is out of the campgrounds before I open them on Feb 10.

Does that clarify matters?

KiltedPrivateer

Lover of Lady Kitara

Glaodian

What time will the campgrounds be open Friday opening weekend?  I have a pretty long drive in and need to figure out timing.  I will be camping with PR.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

PollyPoPo

Quote from: Glaodian on January 29, 2012, 06:13:00 AM
What time will the campgrounds be open Friday opening weekend?  I have a pretty long drive in and need to figure out timing.  I will be camping with PR.

Since no one from Phoenix Risen seems to be logged on right now - from the main SWFF website "The campground is open from Friday at  4pm until Monday at 12pm.  The exception is the weekend that includes Spring Break Friday; on that weekend, since the Faire will be open on Friday we'll open the campground on Thursday at 4pm."

You can check out their main website http://sherwoodforestfaire.org/ for info about camping in general.  It's under "SeekYe Our Village" then under "Camping". 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Glaodian

Thanks Polly.  I did read that, but if they are anything like TRF, those times vary from weekend to weekend.  Since it is opening weekend, I was thinking that they may have the campground open a bit earlier since I figured so many would be coming in.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

*Teach*

It does tend to come down to whenever the person running the gates gets there. 4 is the time that they will be there for sure, earlier than that is taking your chances that someone may be there or they may not be.
I will likely be getting there around 7 or 8 because I have to work Friday.

*I have a new truck so I can haul more rum... of course I can't afford more rum since this was not an expected truck lol*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com