News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Show Off Your Crafting Space!

Started by Rogue Hidesmith, February 07, 2012, 06:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Hidesmith

On another forum I belong to, it's common to show off your work area. I find it really interesting to see how other people work. It gives you a glimpse into their mind and workflow. I couldn't find an existing thread of this nature, so here's mine!

My workshop is in my basement and basically takes up the "finished" area downstairs.

This is the painting/dying/drawing workbench. Everything I need/use to paint is somewhere within reach. It's hard to see, but there's a shelf below the mirror which holds all my dyes and paints.

This is the main workbench where I do my tooling or cutting or planning. If it doesn't involve coloring, it typically happens here.

Storage!

More storage!

Back wall including my Nerf collection. When I'm not feeling inspired, I still come down here and play with the blasters. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I stick suction darts to my forehead. It's all good.

Ok, let's see yours!
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Auryn

Rogue,
are you on the RPF forum??

I like your workspace
very tidy.
I am working on setting mine up- got a whole new space since the move.
Maybe this will motivate me to hurry up and finish it so I can post a picture
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rogue Hidesmith

RPF? Nope, not even sure what that is :)

It's only that tidy because I just rearranged the whole thing. But thanks for the compliment!  ;D
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Rani Zemirah

Uhhhhh... no.  I would LOVE to be able to post pics of my workspace... if I could FIND it!  ::)  It is overrun with all the other clutter I don't have room for, either, and as hard as I've been trying to streamline my storage, it's just not there... yet.  Maybe someday this year.  :D  I'm still hopeful...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Sabrina Black

Right now, my workspace is my lap, due to lack of space, but we're about to move to GA, so as soon as I get my space set up, I'll be posting on here.  I love the idea for this thread! :D
Wench-in-training

LadyStitch

Heh your space looks like the PP's.  At the momment we are trying to reorganize the garage so we can both work in there on our non "clean" projects.  We have the sewing room/ office that we use for the 'clean' projects other wise there is the garage.  I'll see if I can't post pictures of that soon.

Edit:  I forgot to ask.  Do you use a dremel in your work?  If so the PP found some great advise on putting it on a counter weighted pully hanging from the ceiling.  It helps when he is doing detailed work for long times. It helps take the weight off his arm.  Just an idea. ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Adriana Rose

Haha well my work space takes up most of my house. In fact its like my house is basically a workshop with living space attached.

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: LadyStitch on February 08, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
Edit:  I forgot to ask.  Do you use a dremel in your work?  If so the PP found some great advise on putting it on a counter weighted pully hanging from the ceiling.  It helps when he is doing detailed work for long times. It helps take the weight off his arm.  Just an idea. ;D

I do, but usually only for smoothing edges of cut leather (a fairly quick process). I have my dremels hanging on the pegboard behind one of the lamps.  I like that idea though :)
IBRSC #1603

Auryn

Rogue
what attachment do you use for your dremel on the leather??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LadyStitch

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on February 08, 2012, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: LadyStitch on February 08, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
I do, but usually only for smoothing edges of cut leather (a fairly quick process). I have my dremels hanging on the pegboard behind one of the lamps.  I like that idea though :)

We got the suggestion from a professional theatrical prop maker.  This is a guy who go bored one weekend and made his own faux plate mail suit out of plastic scraps.  :o

Since we are showing our spaces off, any organizational suggestions?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: LadyStitch on February 08, 2012, 02:20:57 PM
Since we are showing our spaces off, any organizational suggestions?

Ok, now this is is where I get to show off a few of my recent finds!  :D  All discovered at either Home Depot (referred to hereafter as HD) or Lowe's...

1. Huskey Bucket Tool Organizer 48 Pocket Bucket Jockey Bucket Tool Bag

(Amazon lists it here for $21.99, but I found it the other day at HD for $6.99!!! Savings of $15... not bad, eh?) Paid an extra $3 for the bucket... :D  48 freakin' POCKETS!!! ALL of my jewelry, leather and smaller woodworking tools will fit into the conveniently sized pockets, heads up, so I can see what I'm grabbing right when I need it, and the bucket, itself, will hold anything else I need to keep track of for multiple projects, separated into smaller organizers. Undoubtedly THE find of the day!!!

2. Stack-On Storage Box 10 Compartment-Red

($2.49 at Lowe's... got 2 of them) They have a couple of removable baffles to form a longer center compartment, and the lid seals the separate compartments so there is no mixing of contents if it's dropped or turned over. LIKE!!! Oh... and they're snazzy RED. ;)

3. Workforce 16 in. Toolbox w/Lid Organizer and Removable Inner Tray

($6.07 at HD... lower end, but sturdy enough for my use, and good price) Perfect for my leather working tools, mallets, and punches, and drill bit sets.

4. Stanley SortMaster Junior Organizer

($7.98 at Lowe's)  Removable dividers offer 512 possible different configurations, and lid seals compartments, so no mixing or spillage. It's also 2-2/3 in. deep, so room for larger beads/findings/components... and multiple units can be stacked and locked together for easy carrying!

5. Stanley SortMaster

($9.97 at Lowe's)  1024 possible configurations with the adjustable compartment walls, locking front tabs and center lid lock to make sure everything stays put, and 3-3/16 in. deep, PERFECT size for ALL of my leather and wire spools!

I also found a few things I would like to get in the future, if I can manage it, and the biggest expenditure will be 3 sets of the stainless steel wire shelf racks, so I can pass on my huge steel monster shelf that weighs 200lbs with just the frame, not including the melamine shelves, which weigh another 200lbs all together. I love my huge shelf, but it's hell to try and move it, and it's 8'L x 6'H x 14"D... so it takes up an entire wall. The wire shelves can be disassembled and laid almost flat, and are easy to move... and pretty. They even come in silver OR black, and can be painted any color I like! Adjustable shelf height, also, which my shelf doesn't have...

6. Stainless Steel Wire Shelf Unit

($79 at Lowe's... and you can buy a set of 4 heavy duty wheel castors, or an extra shelf for the unit, for $20)  These units can also be linked together with extra shelves to form larger wall units, and configured in several different ways, making them the ideal basis for a workshop or crafting room organizational system.  

And those are my new storage treasures!  ;D  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Auryn on February 08, 2012, 02:04:11 PM
Rogue
what attachment do you use for your dremel on the leather??

I have a few chuck-mounted burnishers as well as a sanding bit. If I have a really rough edge after edging (which I often do) I'll sand it down to even it out with the rest of the piece.
IBRSC #1603

Nina

Wow, love this thread.  Very inspiring. Really liking all the organizing ideas.   My room is way too messy right now to post actual pics of my crafting space.  However, it is somewhat organized.  It is a long, skinny room that was once part of the garage. My sweetie was kind enough to put shelves all down one of the shorter walls and 2 long shelves across half of a longer wall.  At the other end there are two tables, the 6' long plastic kind that have the folding legs and a desk.  The tables and desk form a U shaped work area.  One table holds my sewing/embroidery machine and a 3'tall wire crate like shelf that hols supplies.  The other table holds 2 sergers and lots of scrap booking supplies.  The desk is kind of a catch all for scraps and thread and stuff.  I also have 2 large drawer file cabinets, the kind you see at the fabric stores, the ones that hold patterns.  One of them is mostly full of patterns, the other is filled with crafting supplies, fabric, and keepsakes that need to be put in a scrapbook.  I really need to get in there and clean it out & re-organize the space.  But as I don't get a lot of time to work in there these days I'm so excited if I get some time to sew or craft something, that I just haven't made the time to de-clutter.

Nighthawk

Wow!! Your workspace is so much more organized than mine! I'll get pics tomorrow and show you where I make my own leather magic happen...  ::)

Rogue Hidesmith

IBRSC #1603