News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Simplicity Pattern 3758 Help

Started by CaraGreenleaf, June 23, 2008, 10:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaraGreenleaf

I'm doing Shirt B (the black one on the cover of the pattern) and running into issues.

I've made shirts before, but the instruction order on this particular pattern is just all sorts of confusing. Any help?
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

isabelladangelo

I haven't used this particular pattern but based on past patterns, I'd say, start with the yoke.  Make the yoke, then gather the shirt back and front to the yoke.  Make each of the sleeves.  Sew the side seams of the shirt up to the dots.  Inset the sleeves at the armscye.  Don't add the collar until the very end.  You might want a lining yoke (I'm not sure if this pattern calls for it) to hide the raw edges.  It will help the shirt last longer and feel better to wear.    Does that make sense? 

CaraGreenleaf

It makes sense....but what's confusing me is that all other shirts I have, call for the yoke to be made last and attached last, with the sleeves and shirt body being made and gathered to the yoke. But this one has the order just all fouled up, should I just go with what my gut is, or attempt to follow their order?
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Pinn

I have made this shirt before and it is very confusing. Simplicity it is not. Go with your gut and attach the yoke last, if you mess up you can always rip it and start again.
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

bmgjarvis

May I suggest that you go with my standard policy regarding Simplicity patterns:

keep the bit of the instructions that tell you which piece is which and goes with what view.
The rest = confetti.

:-*

Pinn

I have a couple of fuzzy helpers that need a job ;D
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: bmgjarvis on June 24, 2008, 10:36:59 PM
May I suggest that you go with my standard policy regarding Simplicity patterns:

keep the bit of the instructions that tell you which piece is which and goes with what view.
The rest = confetti.

:-*
I second that notion.  I glance at the picture instructions to see where something is supposed to go and sew it my own way.  I find Simplicity either over explains things making it more confusing than it is or leave out some vital step assuming we know how to do it.  I personally hate their instructions.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

AnyuBoo

I have made shirt B from that pattern.  For me, I found that if I followed the instructions exactly (at least, the ones relevant to shirt B), it went together with very little fuss.  It seemed confusing at first, but I found that the chaos quickly coalesced into a fairly nice shirt.  :)
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!