News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Harem Pants

Started by gem, April 23, 2012, 03:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm making a pair for an event this summer, and need pattern and fabric suggestions!  I know there's a Simplicity belly dance pattern that's been around for a while; is it any good? Any others? (I'm looking for something really basic--elastic waist, blousy legs, elastic or cuffs at the ankles. Crotch at the natural crotch, not too much fabric.) Maybe I really want a bloomer pattern?

And I need a nice, medium-weight drapey red fabric. I think rayon or a heavy silk would be nice, but I'm not sure where to look.

Ideas?

Gramercy!!

raevyncait

A basic bloomer pattern would be fine, and if you want open sides, you can just cut the opening and finish the edges of the opening, or just don't sew the seam in that area and finish the open edges.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

DonaCatalina

Or even a basic pajama bottom pattern, finish the outside seams open and put elastic around the ankles. Instead of having the high waist done in elastic, you could make the waistband sized to fit tight just below the belly button. Laces or buttons would work to close it up.
Fabrics, indoor or outdoor wear?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Thanks!

Indoor wear. Opaque. No slit.

I want them to fit at the waist. I don't think pj pants will be quite full enough, but I don't definitely don't want anything near this. Actually, these mundane pants are perfect, except I need red:

The fabric should drape beautifully, with some weight to it, and not be too prone to wrinkling or creasing (so not gauze or linen). Tencel would be perfect (I think it's a heavy rayon), but I'm not sure where you can buy it.

Anna Iram

http://www.artemisimports.com/patterns/

Scroll down for the book "Pants for the Dance". Might be a nice addition to your library.

isabelladangelo

Any basic pants pattern should do then.  Just don't taper the ankle.  Instead, have the width of the cuff remain large and then gather it. 

The Simplicity "belly dance" pattern pants are way too short in the hips.   I ended up adding five inches to the top of the pants just to get them to sit an inch below the waist line!

If you want to go the historical route (18th C / evidence for the baggy pants before the 17th c is sketchy at best), make the pants a good 1.5x's as long as you normally would.  gather the cuff above your knee with string so the rest of the pant leg falls down to the ankle but balloons there.  I hope that makes sense.   

Sitara

Beer wenches are the best wenches!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: gem on April 23, 2012, 04:31:23 PM
Thanks!

Indoor wear. Opaque. No slit.

I want them to fit at the waist. I don't think pj pants will be quite full enough, but I don't definitely don't want anything near this. Actually, these mundane pants are perfect, except I need red:

The fabric should drape beautifully, with some weight to it, and not be too prone to wrinkling or creasing (so not gauze or linen). Tencel would be perfect (I think it's a heavy rayon), but I'm not sure where you can buy it.
The I would recommend silk essence. It is 100% polyester, but it flows like silk without wrinkling.
http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-silky-solid-silkessence-many-colors/prd7633/
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Dona C, thanks! I'll check that out.

QuoteThe Simplicity "belly dance" pattern pants are way too short in the hips.   I ended up adding five inches to the top of the pants just to get them to sit an inch below the waist line!

Oh! Great to know. Thank you!

Does anyone think this red wool-blend crepe from the fabulous sale Isabella told us about would work?

I typically think of crepe as being for more structured pieces, like sheath dresses, not for something drapey. But Fabric.com describes it as having "full fold drape," (which we've asked them about before; no one knows what that means LOL)... and the color and price are perfect.

Wickedvox

I find Simplicity pattern 5359 to be quick, easy, not too baggy--but baggier than the pattern you posted Gem--with a perfect crotch; not to short, not too high. And it sits perfectly right on the waist. I've made 2 pair, and am making a pair for my husband (just standard peasant pants for him). They go together so fast, seriously like 2 hours if you have to cut the pattern out--1 if you don't. I love them, so comfy! Here's the link: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2230-costumes.aspx
"Not all those who wander are lost..."

DonaCatalina

I think that wool crepe is going to have 'full fold drape' and is drapery or curtains. It sounds a little heavy to me.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Kate XXXXXX

Dress weight wool crepe is very soft.  It makes excellent garments, and is particularly suitable for garments that need to fall in soft close folds.  If the wool is coat weight, it'll make great coats and jackets and cloaks.   ;D

'Drape' in a fabric has nothing to do with curtains.

amy

Sitara... that free pattern looks about identical to that which I have drafted for all Sarah's harem pants... we just tweaked it to change up for the particular costume and it has worked beautifully.   I would save a penny on the pattern and spend it on some lovely drapey flowy fabric.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: gem on April 24, 2012, 11:19:05 AM

Does anyone think this red wool-blend crepe from the fabulous sale Isabella told us about would work?

I typically think of crepe as being for more structured pieces, like sheath dresses, not for something drapey. But Fabric.com describes it as having "full fold drape," (which we've asked them about before; no one knows what that means LOL)... and the color and price are perfect.

Wool crepe is fairly lightweight.  It should work very well for the pants.   I'd typically use it in summer work skirts or some sort of top -but not a jacket or coat.  It's too lightweight.   Think sort of like medium weight linen in terms of the weight of the fabric. 

gem

Thanks, all!

Wicked, thanks for that. I'm waiting on a Simplicity sale so I can grab that pattern (and another I need for a different ensemble).

Thanks, Kate!! I spent an afternoon looking at photos of wool crepe trousers and decided it was worth a try. The red wool crepe is on its way, along with some heavy velvet and some blue twill to complete Milord's dad's doublet.

Isabella, thanks for the head's up on the wool sale! The timing was perfect for me.