News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Yay! Visiting Scarby for the first time!

Started by BarbarianQueen, April 24, 2012, 12:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

Finally able to make a trip to Scarby!  I've read all the posts here for years, looking forward to coming.
ONe question - as the name suggests, I usually go in Barbarian Garb to TRF.  I don't see many Barbarians, and especially Barbarian Queens :).
Is Viking/Barbarian garb OK for the festival? I realize that period/era Nazi's won't be happy :(, but I deal with those at TRF as well, so used to it :)
Cheers!

DonaCatalina

Welcome to our beloved Shire!
Usually Scarby is too hot for the fur-n-leather crowd. But you are certainly free to wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
This coming weekend looks to be warm; though not frying pan hot.
Do try to make the 8:30am tailgate party on row 12.  ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

We've actually had some great barbarians at Scarby in the past. I certainly have no problem seeing them at faire.

I don't know that barbarians are completely anachronistic ... there are current-day barbarians in the news every day! :-\  They are nowhere near as nice as the barbarians that come to Scarby.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Hercules

I've seen a faire-share of Harry Potter characters running around so a Barbarian Queen will be a better fit.

Isn't this weekend the SteamPunk invasion anyway?

Either way COME ON UP! The more the merrier!  ;D

Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Castle Canine Creations

Welcome and we look forward to seeing you. I'm sure you will have a great time and come over to the Green and Yellow Gypsy Wagon by the Crown Stage and say howdy, plus we do have Vicious Viking T-shirts.  ;D
Castle Canine Creations & Celtic Cords
Bill & Charlene
*Images and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

BarbarianQueen

Plan to be there on closing weekend!
How attended is the Faire on Memorial day?

squiregaby

VERY busy that day :-) We get a lot of military and former military that come in especially for the Veterans part of the parade that day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

AngelVII

I would guesstimate that Memorial Day is probably the most busy day of faire season... Not only is it the final day, so many are drawn in for a last chance at faire for the season, but as was stated before, many people drag their veterans who would not necessarily normally do faire to have them march in the parade, and be fawned over with thank you's all day. There will be plenty to do, and lots of people to meet! Looking forward to meeting you! And welcome to our little corner of paradise. ^_^
Not all who wander are lost =)

BarbarianQueen

Thanks all!
Say... what's the rule for blades?  Are they allowed, if peace-tied?

I have several rather large, beautiful damascus daggers that I'm rather fond of :)
Would I be allowed to wear one if tied?  If so, can someone recommend an accepted peace-tying technique?
Thanks

Merlin

Weapons ARE allowed but need to be peace tied and NEVER unsheathed.

That weekend will be packed...it's the funnest weekend ! !

Come to Row 12 at 8:00 for pre-canon tailgate...eats and drinks.

I would wear as little as possible (not being a perv) just saying.... if you cover up in fur... you will die.

It will most likely be high 90's that weekend.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Lady Kett

Looking forward to meeting you! Peace-tied blades are fine, as Merlin said. And yes, fur will be quite toasty Memorial Day Weekend. But it does look like you have some air conditioning built into it! ;)

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Lady Kett on May 07, 2012, 02:27:59 PM
And yes, fur will be quite toasty Memorial Day Weekend. But it does look like you have some air conditioning built into it! ;
Ha! No, overheating will NOT be a problem, if I wear my barbarian garb :)

DonaCatalina

...as for peace tying technique, anything that ties the blade into the scabbard so that it cannot be easily drawn will work. I look forward to meeting you.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

lys1022

My only suggestion is to make sure that whatever you wear is family-friendly.  Scarborough focuses on being a family faire, so if you're not sure if it is too risque, then it probably is.  I'm not saying that everyone has to be covered from neck to knees, but the folks at the gate WILL send people back to the car with the request that they put on a few more clothes if necessary.  It doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen.  So have alternatives ready if you're really not sure about your normal costuming.

Just my thoughts. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.