News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do you go to faire for?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, May 12, 2012, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

So, after some talks with friends, and various other observations, I've become kind of curious what people go to fair FOr. Like, I'm one of those guys who, even as a patron, shows up an hour before faire, and doesn't end up leaving 'til an hour after. I always love people watching, chatting with folks in costume and out, and watching the shows. But then I run into people who can go to even a big faire like MiRF and only be there for a couple hours! So, what do you go to faire for, what keeps you there?

Craigmeister

Nowadays, I go for the friends I've made.  When I started attending Renfaires 10 years ago, it was for the hammered dulcimer music and trebuchets.  Then as good bands and trebuchets disappeared, I went for the escape from reality.  Now, I like to visit with the vendors, entertainers and faire organizers I've met.  I'm trying to catch more comedy acts now but the time seems to run out while I'm visiting.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Mairte

I go to immerse myself in the entire experience. Forget reality for a day!:)

Bob of the Lake

I go for everything that's faire--the sights, sounds, smells, people, music, laughter, and friends. I'm always there well before opening gate and leave when they kick me out (or in the case of last year, get flooded out)! I have made many friends over the years among cast, crew, performers, vendors, and fellow playtrons, and I spend more and more time chatting with them but still make sure to catch favorite and new acts. It's the feeling of being part of a big, happy family having a great time together at a place we all love that keeps me going back!

I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

To earn a well-deserved pair of aching feet...  But mostly, to interact with kids, visit with friends, enjoy some shows, and get as far away from the 21st century as I possibly can.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

First visit with friends, enjoy some shows, do a little shopping, make new friends and just forget mundane life for a day.
We usully show up between 7:30 and 8:00am for a 10:00am cannon.
How long we stay depends on the weather. And despite our best intentions we usually run out of time before we see all the shows that we wanted to see.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Nissa

I'm going to be really shallow and say I go for the clothes.  :D  Sure, I like hanging out with friends, shopping, and catching the acts, but the clothes are a big draw for me.  I love the clothing in fantasy and historical movies, and Ren faires are the only place where I get to wear cloths like that myself (the SCA isn't for me).  I also like checking out the awesome outfits other people wear.   

LadyAsh

I go to faire for the sights, the sounds, the people, and generally the whole setting of the faire itself. I like how faire is like an escape from everyday life. It is like a new world to explore, with interesting characters and creatures. I also like the garb there, and shopping as well! The shows are also fun to see, and the music is beautiful and engaging at times.
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

Meagan

Mostly, the music. I enjoy watching my children have fun and experience new things.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Nissa on May 14, 2012, 06:41:33 PM
  I'm going to be really shallow and say I go for the clothes. :D  Sure, I like hanging out with friends, shopping, and catching the acts, but the clothes are a big draw for me.  I love the clothing in fantasy and historical movies, and Ren faires are the only place where I get to wear cloths like that myself (the SCA isn't for me).  I also like checking out the awesome outfits other people wear.    
*raises hand*  Yeah, I have to admit to that one myself.  Clothes are the biggest single draw for me and, I suspect, most regulars.  Faire is the place to go to see and be seen and, of course, to get ideas for the next project  ;).
    Shopping is a close second: Faire is where I get all my custom leather done and any hand made, one of a kind accessories I cannot do for myself.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt