News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How did/Did you make your way to "comfortable"? (Wordy. Long)

Started by Eric the Ugly, May 21, 2012, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Ugly

Lemme 'splain.

When I first was bitten by the bug I bought a shirt...needed breeches...had old, thin sweatpants, needed boots and had those black moccasin boots.

This morphed, by what I thought was necessity to 'better' bits of garb. Upgrades to wrap pants, better moccasin boots, hood and mantle, very rustic/almost burlap-like dark brown tabbard to Moresca Archers Jerkin.
My semi-fantasy-semi-Medieval woodsmen look gave way to a desire for a more Renaissance-y gentleman/soldier...thing.
Better boots, rapier, hat, better jerkins and doublets.
All along came many more shirts and breeches, etc. as well as more accessories like better pouches (became bigger pouches)....

After so much time and so much more money, I had (at various points) reached a satisfactory point given the goal.

But something else emerged: a significant displacement of comfort.

This, then, resulted in a certain 'scaling back' of certain elements. A bit of 'letting go'. Some measure of 'relaxing' semi-HA wishes/viewpoints.
Was this a sort of maturity, or rather a recognition of adult play and, as such (and accepting and embracing it as such) that this aforementioned...thing...could have its self-imposed leash relaxed? Or was it really as simple as: This is what I wanted...and man, it makes me hot in this GA heat and/or I'm constantly adjusting this or that or everything?

What I do know is that some things I wore a few years ago I'd never wear again in a million years, no matter how appropriate or realistic they may be because, to put it lightly, that s*** is some uncomfortable and annoying s***. ;)

I wore the archer's jerkin from Moresca I bought back in 1996 for the first time in over a decade to GARF today and, despite issues of my own self-image, was more comfortable than I had been in quite some time.
I'd have not dared worn something so gauche last year! It had to be an appropriately short/high(natural waist) doublet.
But that, too, has its place and its place is no longer its HA, but rather if it feels good to wear.

tl;dr version: my garb has gone from barely passable, to acceptable (considering), to fully appropriate to the spirit, to almost HA with practical limitations, to "Meh. It's not jeans and I look lots better than those Samurai Pirate Link Rangers with Nikes. Besides, I'm not as hot, tired and sweaty as that guy with the better garb and ruffled collar nor as uncomfortable in terms of temp comfort and within degrees of 'I-feel-silly'-ness as some of the Halloween costume-wearers."
I'm tossing aside my once-loved doublets for the old, toss-on vests and jerkins. I've given up on the 'swash tops' of my Son of Sandlar boots for 'just the boot itself'. I'd rather the basic hat than the Excalibur Musketeer hat. I'd rather my German Side Sword than the annoyingly long Torino rapier.
I'm nearing the Ren Fest version of the dude at the store in his old tennis shoes, worn comfy shorts and fave t-shirt.

Anyone else felt and/or experienced this? How did it transpire? How did you reconcile it? Did you just accept it and let it slide (giving it a "hey, I just wanna have fun, so this facilitates this fun, so...so what?")?

isabelladangelo

To me, it got hot in the middle ages too.   If I'm wearing English garb in the summer heat, I tend to just wear my stays, a shift, and my farthingale + skirt.  My shift is made out of linen that helps a lot and the farthingale acts as a fan by it's swaying as you walk.   However, most of the time, I'm in Italian garb which was made to deal with the heat.

For a guy, I'd suggest not wearing the jerkin and just wearing slops with a shirt - as was common in the middle ages.  It might not be "pretty" but it was what was done on the hot days.  People tend to go back on what they know (ie, modern considerations) rather than research further and see how our ancestors would have handled it.   BTW, a kilt with a linen shirt is probably pretty comfortable in the summer weather. 

Basic summer tips for faire: Leaving the neck line and shoulders open allows heat to better escape from your body.  Don't drink alcohol or sodas when it's hot - drink a lot of water instead.  This will help you keep cool and allow your body to sweat like it should.   Linen, linen, linen for any shirts/shifts/ or other garments close to the body.   For some reason (And I've done this too!) the modern faire goers seems to believe everything was black and white in the Renaissance.   ;)  Rather than wearing those black pants with the black doublet, try lighter colors and materials.   Black will make you feel warmer than a nice green or blue.  And, believe it or not, do NOT expose your skin - sun directly on the skin not only can cause burns (Lobster is not a good persona for most people) but also will make you far more warm than having something like a shift between you and the sun on your arms and legs.  (Again, leave the neckline open for heat to escape)

The Rabbi

As Isabella stated it did get hot back in the time as it does today. Being HA is nice however being comfortable and avoiding a heat stroke is important. Camaflouge modern conveniences, the neck coolers that you submerge in cold water can be disguised undwe a kerchief or a rag and work wonders. One thing and no disrespect to the diehard HA folks while people of old had to endure heat and cold there is also the climatical changes to consider. 80 degrees in Germany is hot while in Oklahoma and Texas its just getting started hot is 95 plus. Germany is comfortable at hot Oklahoma and Texas even at 80 the humidity will start to kick your arse and dont get any better. Faire is about fun so I have always tried to think comfort first as I stated heat stroke will ruin an otherwise great day. HA is great just dont kill yourself to get there.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

amy

Eric I totally get you!!!    I started out cheap and make shift and moved up over the years to handmade corsets, bum rolls, farthingales, peticoats, stomachers, over sleeves, coif and hat and all the fixins... and like many I loved the look so much.... but in NO possible way could ever afford the outragous and insane prices that so many pay for "natural and period fibers" and all that rot.   So I just call it Hollywood HA or fantasy Elizabethan and let the garb nazi's be danged....   They are all completely correct in their quality information about breathing and cooling and all that... but I found that i just drink plenty of water (and yes I mean beer), dont overdo it and stay in the shade when possible was enough to keep me going....  BUT.. that didn't aleviate the misery of trying to get my dress between benches to sit and enjoy a show.... or not being able to bend down easily in a crowd to fetch a dropped hanky... even the simple task of a trip to the privy is a time wasting ordeal.   So I have scaled back a lot!    Losing a little weight has helped a bit with keeping the look and for 2012 I so far have totally forgone the corsets... I have been lightly boning my bodices so I get the effect even if it is not "perfect".   I use lightweight ribbon neck ruffs that I wear like a choker instead of full starched partlets and skip carrying all the gloves and hand blown glass mug and bottles and all that crap that hangs off my basket.     I found that if I had 50 people stop for a picture in the hard core garb... I still had 45 do the same in the cheater versions.   I still do the noble garb, but you might find bare legs or cool hawiian jammie bottoms under my skirt for comfort instead of period correct underpinning... Just is sooo much easier and no body belongs under or peeking inside my dress anyways.   Plus I like being able to partly dress or disrobe in the parking lot so I can enjoy dinner with friends so some of my stuff has become quick release.
I find it is as much about comfort as it is about perfection.   Of course this is just for faire that I am speaking.   and for me, Faire is more about fun and distraction than being accutely accurate.   Huzzah to you dear for making sure your experience is fun!!!
I am sure I will continue to find ways to make my garb more comfortable and I don't feel I am spoiling anything for myself or those with whom I spend my days by doing so.

DonaCatalina

I have told numerous people that one of the reasons we gravitated towards pre-1550 Spanish clothing is that most of Spain is about the same latitude as Texas and has a very similar climate.
I make my own garb so that it fits me and I'm comfortable in it. I use fabrics like cotton, linen and silk so that our clothes breathe while also protecting from direct exposure to sun.
Having had 2nd/3rd degree sunburn when I was 15, I have no desire to repeat the experience.
You can get heatstroke in a muscle shirt and speedos if you don't stay hydrated.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Maithu Ruadh

One thing I didnt count on was how inconvenient it would be swinging that 40-inch sword around on a baldric. You constantly had to keep a hand on it to keep it from hitting shop displays or unsuspecting patrons! Finding something new that was more easy to manage was tough, but I found a nice 30-inch katzbalger short sword. Pretty historically inaccurate for a 17th century Scotsman to carry, but less hazardous to people and scenery!

isabelladangelo

Quote from: The Rabbi on May 21, 2012, 08:51:28 AM
As Isabella stated it did get hot back in the time as it does today. Being HA is nice however being comfortable and avoiding a heat stroke is important. Camaflouge modern conveniences, the neck coolers that you submerge in cold water can be disguised undwe a kerchief or a rag and work wonders. One thing and no disrespect to the diehard HA folks while people of old had to endure heat and cold there is also the climatical changes to consider. 80 degrees in Germany is hot while in Oklahoma and Texas its just getting started hot is 95 plus. Germany is comfortable at hot Oklahoma and Texas even at 80 the humidity will start to kick your arse and dont get any better. Faire is about fun so I have always tried to think comfort first as I stated heat stroke will ruin an otherwise great day. HA is great just dont kill yourself to get there.

However, it also gets a lot colder in 16th Century Germany in the winter than it does in 21st C Texas.   ;)  There is a reason people in Idaho wear in 55F what people in Texas might not consider wearing until it gets to 85F.   

arbcoind

Eric, you've reminded me how uncomfortable and hot I can be at faire.  I'm glad you started this thread, I never really considered pairing down a bit, but now I will.  I'm a wench, but I have gotten rid of the corsets, I just could not walk around, sit, drive, etc in one of those.  So I've been wearing boned bodices and they are way more comfortable.

But I could also leave a few things off of my belt.  Maybe skip the leather bracers when it's too hot.  Wear only 1 full cotton skirt instead of 2.  Switch to short chemises.  Ditch the favor rag.  Invest in a lighter weight hat instead of the heavy ones I have.  Hmmmm, you've given me something to think about.

Gina

gem

What Dona C said. We think of "the Renaissance" as only happening in chilly England and Northern Europe. It ALSO happened in Spain and southern Italy, where temps in the 90s and high humidity were regular summer occurrences. Not to mention the fact that, during the actual Renaissance, there were Spaniards settled in Florida, and roaming about Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. AND Europeans started settling horrifically hot, swampy Virginia in the early 1600s. So our forebears actually knew A LOT about dressing for exactly the sort of weather our fairs take place in (and, in some cases, in the exact LOCATIONS our fairs take place!). (Check out Plimoth Plantation to see how early settlers dressed for the North American summers.)

I find, for me, I'm actually far more comfortable in the heat (of Kansas, which I gather is like Texas, only more humid) in my Fair garb... than I am in corresponding mundane clothes like shorts and a T-shirt. And I think the #1 reason is that almost every inch of my skin is covered and protected from the sun. On the hottest days, I wear a big straw hat, which really is like walking around with your own source of shade (I find it more effective *by far* than a parasol).

But... like Arbocind and Isabella said, I *definitely* plan for the heat and switch up my ensembles. On the real Kansas Summer days, it's linen, linen, and more linen all the way. Lightly boned gowns instead of layers of corsetry and undergarments. I've also started carrying a basket, because like Arbocind mentioned, that dang BELT hanging around the waist gets hot & uncomfortable darn quick! It's just unfortunate that you guys don't experience the miraculous cooling effect of the swish of a linen skirt (or a farthingale!). I suppose a kilt might be similar...?

I do think, though, that there is something to be said for the adjustment to the fit of period clothing. It IS different than what we're used to every day, particularly the close fit on the torso and the respect for the natural waist--and how you move in your clothing does have a lot to do with how "comfortable" you find things. There are modern clothes I find perfectly comfortable for wearing out to work or whatnot, but which I'd find restrictive and uncomfortable for a Saturday afternoon lounging on the couch with my dogs. It's a context thing.

Eric the Ugly

I think the true gist was lost in my rambling. Sorry for that. :)

Allow me to try again.

When I started I didn't have much and was comfy, but dissatisfied in what I was wearing as it wasn't 'realistic' enough for the period, being more loose fantasy. I wanted more appropriate clothing. I got more and more of it and then realized I just didn't feel good in it. (though I love the short at-the-natural-waist doublet...but I'd never wear it buttoned. Ugh. Hot.)
It's like I'm going back to what I began with (albeit with nicer stuff).
I can't do without a jerkin or doublet though. Just breeches and shirt would be way too boring. ;)

Heat is a separate, but related issue. All my stuff is bought with that consideration, since GARF is hot about 90% of the time. All 100% cotton and thin, light and airy. My fave breeches (100% cotton from Heart's Delight...and way overpriced) are positively gauzy. I could feel a mouse's sneeze through them at a hundred paces.
All my shirts are light, loose and cotton. I don't even wear my cotton blend shirts anymore.
I'll admit I even began going 'commando'. lol

Besides two of my hats, I never wear anything black. All shirts I've worn for the past few years are white or natural. Everything else is either green or brown (rarely).

Anyhoo, I was wondering if others followed this path of basically saying : "I don't care about all this mess anymore. What I care more about is bein' comfy and darn the garb (more or less)." ;D

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Maithu Ruadh on May 21, 2012, 11:23:18 AM
One thing I didnt count on was how inconvenient it would be swinging that 40-inch sword around on a baldric. You constantly had to keep a hand on it to keep it from hitting shop displays or unsuspecting patrons! Finding something new that was more easy to manage was tough, but I found a nice 30-inch katzbalger short sword. Pretty historically inaccurate for a 17th century Scotsman to carry, but less hazardous to people and scenery!

You ain't kiddin'.
At least once a year I wear my more Musketeer-inspired look and I spend most of the day thinking how I can't wait to wear my Son of Sandlar Capt. Teach's without the tops and to return to the shorter sword rather than that darn rapier.
Also, something about the Musketeer Hat from Excalibur (as much as I love it!) keeps me from feeling comfortable in the neck and shoulder area. Almost like I can't move my neck muscles or crack my neck (even though I take it off lots of times in a day to do just that). The smaller and less obtrusive hats (like a muffin cap) are more comfy.

Eric the Ugly

Quitting smoking last year helped pair down a bit of weight on my belt. Now I only have to have a single e-cig and a spare cartridge. I attempted to replace my wooden tankard with a small copper mug, but the metallic taste was not a winner for me.

EDIT - I really feel for you ladies and all the layers you guys have. Though, as pointed out by gem above, you get the air-conditioning swish with your skirts.

gem

QuoteAnyhoo, I was wondering if others followed this path of basically saying : "I don't care about all this mess anymore. What I care more about is bein' comfy and darn the garb (more or less)."

Oh, lordy, yes!  That's exactly why I made this dress, which I used to call my Easy Dress.  :D It reduces the layers (particularly at my waist), fits over mundane undergarments (hallelujah!), and closes with easy-peasy clasps instead of laces.  However... it also strongly resembles this period example, by Botticelli. It really is the best of both worlds. And I wore it TO DEATH. (It has been supplanted by this gown, which is just as comfy but not quite as quick to get on. Don't seem to have a photo of it minus all the accessories that make it more period, like the sleeves, partlet, etc. But it converts to "easy" pretty quick!)

ETA: There are a lot of ways to get a more period look with easier-to-work-with pieces. Frex, in my avatar, I'm wearing a chemise AND a partlet... but a high-necked chemise would give the exact same look with fewer pieces to deal with. This kirtle has a totally-boned bodice and stiffened skirt hem, so I don't also have to wear a corset and farthingale.

Lots of little tricks like that--at least in women's wear. Anyone have similar tips for men?

insidiousraven

I haven't made that sacrifice yet.  Faire is once a year, and by god I'm going to dress all the way up for it. Though, my garb is not terribly uncomfortable either.

stonebiscuit

Faire is my job, so I've had to learn to make HA attire comfortable. Obviously natural fibers are important, and drinking water, and covering your skin, but the golden rule when it comes to comfort, AFAIC, is "buy custom". Buying off the rack is not going to give you a fit as good as having something made (or making it yourself), and when the fit is wrong, you're not going to be as comfortable, the end.