News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Share Your Memories

Started by Norfolk, August 04, 2012, 10:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk

The 2012 CoRF season was simply wonderful for the Baroness and myself!  We thoroughly enjoyed playing the roles of Thomas and Elizabeth Howard, Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, not least because the Earl and Countess of Surrey were truly spectacular in their roles as our son and daughter-in-law.  But we would surely be remiss if we did not extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you RF'rs who played along, thereby making our characters real, not only for us, but also for the many patrons who witnessed our interactions. We are truly grateful.

We can only hope that all of you on the forum had as marvelous a season as we have, and would very much enjoy reading of your fondest memories.
Just call me "Your Grace"

LadyFireKissed

I had a great time my first year over to Larkspurshire!  I was there Celtic Weekend and Music and Dance Weekend.  I met many great friends, who even though I may not have known them long, count them as family.  On celtic weekend I was listening to Pandora Celtica durring one of my few breaks to cool down, I didn't know that kilt judging was next on the menu... What a shame to have been sitting front row ;D.  I truly enjoyed getting to know you my graces, you were very kind and friendly.  On the second day, purely by chance, I had the fortune to park next to Lord Gawyn and Lady Addilay.  We had a great day together and then found we were at the same hotel so we had supper and went swimming later.  Later that week, they came thru my hometown and I got to take them to eat.  What fun!  And now I have been told that I am their adopted daughter!  What a blast!

The next time I made it out, was just as much if not more fun.  I met even more people including the crew of The Siren's Deck.  They are a very fun bunch of people.  Went out to dinner both nights and had a great time!  My personal favorite of the entire time at faire (and the coolest)definitly had to be the waterfight on Sunday.

Most of all I think that I enjoyed is the new friends that I made, and all the people I have continued to talk to after it's all done.  Thank you to all for a great time!

Earl of Surrey

Father, Your Grace,

Firstly, as is the custom of a dutiful son, who wishes to receive more funding in the future, I wilst say that my fondest memories are of spending time with you and mother. --cute smile--, --grin--, --hand, out--

Second, one of many that come to mind is the afternoon on about the 5th weekend, where His Highness, in the shady picnic area by the water wheel and the food market,turned to his retinue (which contained myself and the French Ambassador) and said, "what was that you were saying my good Earl, about the French not taking baths properly". To which, I of course, responded that it wasn't that they didn't take them or take them properly, but that they still smelled afterwards...or something like that.  His Excellency the ambassador, then proceeded to grab the Prince's gloves and smack them across my chest to entice a duel.  However, on the back stroke of the smack, one gauntlet flew out of his hand and landed on a table full of Patrons.  His Highness being the right smart fellow he is, of course recognized that the French Ambassador must have meant to challenge all those folks to a duel instead.  And, seeing that they were unarmed, he then went on to hold the duel on their behalf, essentially between his own left and right hand.  I'm not certain which side won, but the Prince certainly did.  Princes are so wise in these matters,  wouldn't you agree Father?
--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

Celtic Rune Stones

Too many memories to note in the space provided, but one stands above all - Knighthood at the hand of Her Majesty, Queen Anne. Had I known it was coming, I would have dressed appropriately for court.

Notables: Wilsome producing a fireball that reached the top windows of the celestial stage; Sugar, the white tigress, and the water fight!

Memories to last a life time,

Click, Click Huzzah!! 

My life is loosely based on a true story...

Norfolk

Quote from: Celtic Rune Stones on August 08, 2012, 08:13:12 PM
Too many memories to note in the space provided, but one stands above all - Knighthood at the hand of Her Majesty, Queen Anne.

Well said, SIR Daniel!

Norfolk

Quote from: Earl of Surrey on August 06, 2012, 08:48:57 AM
Father, Your Grace,

Firstly, as is the custom of a dutiful son, who wishes to receive more funding in the future, I wilst say that my fondest memories are of spending time with you and mother. --cute smile--, --grin--, --hand, out--

... Princes are so wise in these matters,  wouldn't you agree Father?

Surrey, My Son,

I wisheth to wound thee not, but thou shoud'st know that thine smile ceased being "cute" on or about the time thine thirst for funds became insatiable.

As for the wisdom of princes ... Who am I, a mere Duke, to gainsay his Highness?

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Closing weekend

My lord Toki, my beautiful sister and I had gone out to our carriage to drop off some tea's we had purchased for our monthly supply (Yes we drink a lot of tea and 6 tins go fast). I was wearing my blue courtesan gown and looked to my left and saw a young lady trying to take a picture. She had her friends stood where the statue man usually stood near Mistress Charlotte's. I stopped and smiled and she asked if she might capture my image and dress on her tiny mega pixie box. As I am always more than thrilled to let them capture my likeness I told I was very happy to allow her this opportunity. She thanked me, took the likeness and told me how beautiful I and the dress where. A courtesan can never hear these words enough as it seems most lords forget to say it and it is usually the ladies that do say it.

I gave her a small curtsy, took 1 step and stopped and turned to her and asked if she wanted to have her friends capture her likeness with me. The young pirate lass was thrilled and excited to have a chance to have her likeness captured with me and the blue courtesan dress. We then chatted a few moments about courtesans, the dress, and a play she might like that had courtesans in it and she was thrilled thanking me again for the opportunity. 

We parted and I could see her grinning from ear to ear with excitement from her experience.

It tis always fun to have people want to capture your likeness and to give compliments on how we all dress. These are the memories I cherish most
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Norfolk

Although I have many, many fond memories from this season, my favorite happened on the very last day.  While the Baroness was as first joust with Her Majesty, I happened to see a group of four middle-aged people staring at the map.  I approached and asked if I could be of assistance.  Upon hearing my accent, one of the two ladies asked me, in a distinct British accent, who might I be.  (Turns out the lady was from London and was visiting American relatives in Colorado.)  I told her the Duke of Norfolk.  She then wanted to know if I had seen Queen Elizabeth parachute from the airplane on television.  "Madam", I said, "Elizabeth is the Princess, not yet the Queen, and I understand not the other words thou hast uttered!"  She then proceeded to try to explain airplane, parachute and television, getting more frustrated by the minute with my complete lack of understanding.  Meanwhile her relatives are very obviously enjoying this interaction to the full.  "You know", she says, "television.  A box with pictures that move around!"  "A box?  With pictures inside?  That move 'round?  You are telling me that these 'pictures' move 'round in this box of their own accord?  Madam, methinks thou must be hallucinating!  Please, Madam, allow me to direct thee to the apothecary."   At this the crowd, as they say, went wild.

What a memory!

Francisco Paula

Of course sometimes it is so hard to pick your favorite moment at faire but i will share a couple.

Working the cat show and Raina came over near me and took a swipe at me, no claws so she was just playing. She then hopped up on the wall behind me and we had a moment(it could be "hey i'm higher then you and you are now prey") but that was fun. Also having Milo jumping up on the wall behind me so the young ones that i keep safe in my area got a wonderful look at them and their faces seeing him so close up.

On last weekend i saw a groupt of people, all the women were dressed up but the men were not. So i asked the ladies why the men weren't in kilts for them and was told they were party poopers. So as i was chatting with them one of the ladies asked this pirate to take their image with this box thing. I think the lady was dismayed when i did as she told me then turned around and put the box in my pocket. Well she did give it to a pirate

Norfolk

Quote from: Francisco Paula on August 10, 2012, 12:38:34 PM
I think the lady was dismayed when i did as she told me then turned around and put the box in my pocket. Well she did give it to a pirate

Heh, heh, heh!  :)

The Professor

Dress rehearsal.  That nice little Asian lady who works so hard planting and arranging all the flowers--including those GHASTLY geraniums.  She was working away at the beds next to Front Gate when I managed to get the entire cast to give her a standing O, the first one she'd ever gotten in the many years she's worked there.  I know she told Her Royal Highness about how much that meant to her.

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

:)
"People?  YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THERE'D BE PEOPLE!"

Norfolk

Earl of Surrey

And I'll add the memory of the hail storm-that-wasn't, which subjected my house just east of Castle Rock to four hours of large hail... But didn't hit the festival where the lady you mention and Kristy had worked so hard on those flowers.  Never seen or heard of a four hour hail storm in this state, and for those who don't know the area, that's maybe 15-20 miles from Larkspur.  It shredded every living thing and roof in its path, but miraculously missed the festival site.

Had it struck there, those geraniums would have been a thing of history.  Opening day wouldnt have been near as pretty and probably many of the structures would have been damaged significantly.

Here's to the folks who make the site beautiful and whatever they did to appease the weather gods.
--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

Norfolk

Quote from: Earl of Surrey on August 13, 2012, 02:43:51 PM
Here's to the folks who make the site beautiful and whatever they did to appease the weather gods.

Hear, hear!!