News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where do you wear your fabulous clothing?

Started by PollyPoPo, November 05, 2012, 05:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

There are so many people here making wonderful clothing from all time periods. 

Obviously some go to fantasy/comic/tv show cons as well as renfaires, but where else do you wear them? 

So much work goes into these garments, they deserve to be seen as much as possible.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

isabelladangelo

The SCA:  There's practically an event every weekend for that.  The next one I'm going to is on the 17th and is one of my favorites.

Re-Enactments: We have both a lot of 18th Century events and Civil War events (and 1840's!) where I live.

Group get togethers:  This is probably my favorite.   There are always Steampunk walks (December 9th is the next one!) or just a group of my friends planning a party (we have one planned for the Hobbit and there is one this weekend I can't attend, unfortunately) going on.  The parties can be anywhere from four or five people to as many as 30 people.    Right now, we have events planned well into next year that I need to make dresses for.  One event, in March, I need to make a dress for me (because I can't wear the same one, scandal!) and one for my Mom (because she needs that stripy 18th C and a place to wear it whether she knows it or not!). ;D

Kate XXXXXX

I use mine for LARP events.  One weekend freeform game can see me through 4 complete sets of clothing!

Ser Niall

I haven't worn any of my garb outside of a ren fest, but I want to find events throughout the year I could dress up for.  The obvious is Halloween, but for how much work goes into an outfit I'd be afraid that other people around me wouldn't be careful.  I would have to have ale or wine spilled on my hard work, and to most other people it would be seen as "just a Halloween costume."

I think an indoor Renaissance-themed ball or party would be fun during the winter months, but I don't know of anything specifically.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Norfolk

The Duchess and I wear our garb every weekend during the Colorado Renaissance Festival season (where we are on cast), as well as to two or three other festivals that we visit each season for a one weekend.

However, one of the most fun events to which we wear garb is held at a local castle -- yes, a REAL casle -- which is located in the Garden of the Gods, near Colorado Springs.  Each December, the Glen Eyrie staff put on a magnificent production known as the Madrigal Banquet, a short video clip of which can be found here:
http://www.gleneyrie.org/Reservations/Madrigal?mode=na&RequestId=7a2f0adb

Each year a dozen or so members of the cast and playtron brigade from the Colorado Festival (including Her Royal Majesty Queen Anne) don garb, attend the banquet, and then spend the night in the castle.  It is a marvelous time indeed!

Just call me "Your Grace"

Lady Renee Buchanan

Outside of faire season, a group of us have what we call "Ren dinners."  We vary between different houses, the menu is semi-historical (like cottage pie, or soup in a bread bowl, things like that).  All of us bring our mugs or goblets, we dress in full garb, take pictures and have lots of fun!

I've worn some garb to work, things like boots and my Heart & Sole Mary Janes, my pirate bloomers on "comfy day," some of my faire jewelry, hats on "hat day."  Some of my skirts work for faire and everyday, so I've worn those to work, to church, or for going out.

When Prince William and Katherine got married, work had a "go to the Royal Wedding Day."  Most people dressed up in fancy dresses, hats, and some guys wore suits.  I wore full noble garb, but probably won't do that again.  It was quite uncomfortable to sit in an office chair all day wearing a bodice.  Not nearly as comfortable as wearing it at faire!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dbaldock

While I haven't made any of my Ren Faire garb, I have worn some of it on several occasions during dinner with friends at Medieval Times - Dallas Castle, back in the late-90's when I lived in the Dallas area.  (I called their office and asked if attending in garb was OK, and they said "Yes, as long as you don't bring any weapons.")
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Cilean

Where do I wear my Garb?

A. SCA~ This is one of the reasons why I joined the SCA, because I wanted to be in the HUGE dress and I could not do it in the Ren Faire, back then I could only wear peasant clothing.

B. Renaissance Faire~ I was restricted to only wearing Wench gear, for me that was like living a little death.  I began looking to gain knowledge just so that I could wear the Royals.

C. CosPlay~ As I began to feel comfortable in dealing with the 16th Century, I found some could be worn at Conventions and the like.
`
D. Costume College~ This place has inspired me to stretch my legs and try other time periods!  I feel in love with Steampunk, and Regency periods, and I am now designing for 2013's Pirate theme.

E. Halloween~ I love making Witchy clothing and hats and such to scare or make people laugh.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I wear my garb at many different places.

Period Weddings..Depending on the Period, I usually have something appropriate. Period weddings are a blast. The last one I attended was in September. A Pirate Wedding for the couple I made their attyre for.

Ren Faires...Of course!!! Fest Friends get togethers in January.

Expos..Each October, Rochester holds a Women's Expo. I dress up in Period Clothong where I represent a Woman from a Historical Period. There I mix Politics, Women's roles in Society, and explain the period in which I am dressed. I do talks before Civic groups as well dressed in Renaissance Garb.

Parties...Halloween, all ocassion.

Conventions...Convergence, Windy Con. Sometimes I wear my Period Clothing to Civic events, such as Rochester Day at the State Capitol, Lunch witrh the Governor, etc. A way to promote what I do and get in touch with groups for garb, talks, etc.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LibraryPrincess

I work at a pretty cool library with an even cooler Children's librarian who persuades the higher-ups to let us dress up for different storytime themes. ^_^
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival