News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

FYI: Pub Sing change for this season...

Started by BeerBlessings, July 01, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeerBlessings

So it won't come as a complete shock to you all...

Pub Sing is not being held at Sumbull Inn this year. It is being moved to Drift Inn, to take advantage of the larger stage. More room = more musicians + not-so-cramped.

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Scarlett

Another thing to note which was announced earlier this year is that "Health To The Company" is not going to be sung this year.  Apparently, Scott/Axel wanted to do something different.  Does this still hold true?  Dave?  Trev?
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

DuCoeur

This must be so Axel doesn't have to go so far to get his Ale!!!
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Capt. Morgan

The Final Pub Sing will be at the Drift Inn...the parting song, appropriately enough is "Parting Glass" My only concern is the Pub area at the Drift Inn isn't as big to accommodate the amount of people that usually amasses for Pub Sing and if it rains (Nah...that NEVER happens in Ash-tab-u-la) then there is little cover offered to the patrons/cast/playtrons etc. At least the Stumball Inn had trees and that nice brick paved area...

Ahh well...I guess the important part is we are all together!  ;D
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Athena

I admit, it will be weird because I'm so used to the Stumbull Inn...but like Morgan said important part is that we'll be together!

Scotsman, you'll be fine as long as no blood gets into your alcohol stream!  ;)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Professor M

Quote from: BeerBlessings on July 01, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

More room = more musicians + not-so-cramped.

I don't know.  Being all squished together was one of the things I liked most about the pub sing.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

DuCoeur

Parting Glass is a reasonable substitute (we will wait for Owain for Health to the Company).

Drinting or Stumbling as our Good Captain  said we will be together....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

BeerBlessings

The problems that I have with Parting Glass..

1) Just about everyone does this song slowly. (JUst search youtube and you'll see what I mean) The only version I've heard that might be appropriate is by Cleveland Irish band "Brigid's Cross", as they do it comparatively fast. From what I hear, this version is not like Brigid's Cross version. Sigh. But I reserve judgement.

The bigger problem..

2) For some odd reason, I get the heebie-jeebies by associating Faire with a song that I want sung at my funeral.

BlackKnight

Personally...I don't visit Pub Sing until the last day of faire, so...it won't bother me much anyways. I don't care for the dirge (Parting Glass) and the new location tbh....if the Stumble Inn stage was too small, uhm...make it bigger.

However, with the R/F crowd coming in...I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Scotsman

I don't care where it is or what they sing, I just want all of you there with me!

*I am gonna need someone to hold me up*
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Capt. Morgan

Quote from: BeerBlessings on July 02, 2008, 09:01:51 PMFor some odd reason, I get the heebie-jeebies by associating Faire with a song that I want sung at my funeral.

Hey...the only difference between an Irish Wedding (or Pubsing/party) and an Irish Wake is one less drunk...so it's a celebration no matter what!  ;)

I still pity poor Avaloch...I fear they have no idea what is in store for them.... :o
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

LadyK

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.  No matter where the pub sing is the important thing is "The pub"  and friends to share it with.   

Morwyn

Huzzah Lady K!!!!  We have missed you!

GypsyWriter

Greeting, LadyK!  Glad to know we'll get to see you this week end.
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette