News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Quiet Camping

Started by Willworkforgems, February 18, 2013, 04:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willworkforgems

Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me how far the restrooms/port-o-lets are from the quiet camping area? 4am treks can be scary for a girl!  :o
"Love is the solution to every problem"

scarletnyx

I know that there are some right up at the front of camping, but since I camp in Clans I'm not really familiar with the layout in quiet sadly, lol. But! I will say that from what I've seen driving around and in clans, they all seem to be pretty well spaced out. Hopefully someone else here can help you a little bit better than I can  ;D
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Willworkforgems

Thanks for the info! Perhaps I should bring a bucket just in case!

scarletnyx

Quote from: Willworkforgems on February 19, 2013, 07:45:47 AM
Thanks for the info! Perhaps I should bring a bucket just in case!

That's honestly what most people do. You can get a big 5 gallon painter's bucket at Wal-Mart, a lid/biobags/blue tablets that help it not smell at any outdoor store ( Bass Pro, Academy, Cabela's, ect ). some people keep it in a corner of their tent, while others keep it in a small privacy tent right outside.

The husband and I haven't added that yet to our camping load out ; but, it is in the future! Though however, sometimes space can be at a premium at SWFF so keep that in mind if you are thinking about a privacy tent.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Willworkforgems

I saw those at Cabela's! It looked like a nice addition. I'll budget that for next year!

RowenD

Definitely check the RV stores too.
   I found one -just a folding toilet seat with a lid, on a tripod with a bag underneath- for about $15.00..  folds flat for storage, you just need someplace private to use it ;).    However, I have no idea what you are supposed to do with the resulting waste-in-a-bag.     
  I figure they take a dim view of dumping it in a dumpster, or dropping used plastic bags into a porta-john tank.

If you are really serious, or just don't like to use a stinky,and frequently dirty porta potty:  I swear by my $65.00 molded plastic, flushable marine toilet.  It uses 'blue balls' (dissolvable packets of deodorizers that break down waste) that you add to the holding tank.  It's about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and holds a couple days worth of business.  When you leave, you can take the sealed unit to the RV sanitary dump, and just pull a lever to dump the tank. You use the hose (should be provided at the dump) to rinse it out, then put it into a large trash bag to take home.

PollyPoPo

From past posts it is very inadvisible to put the bags in or near a port-a-potty at all.  If dropped in the "business" part of the port-a-potty, it will cause serious problem when the sanitation company tries to empty and clean the port-a-potty.  I assume that drives the price up, too.

Leaving it outside or inside a port-a-potty just makes it someone else's problem - not endearing to the campground management. 

From what I've read on the web, the bags can be put into normal trash; that's assuming they are "jellied" and fairly solid.  You might want to check with campground management as to whether it can go in the big dumpsters or if you have to haul it out and dispose of yourself.

RowenD - how much does your marine toilet weigh when full?  Is there a handle (like a bucket) or molded handles on sides?  Been thinking about getting one myself.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

scarletnyx

Quote from: RowenD on February 19, 2013, 05:57:35 PM
   Definitely check the RV stores too.
   I found one -just a folding toilet seat with a lid, on a tripod with a bag underneath- for about $15.00..  folds flat for storage, you just need someplace private to use it ;).    However, I have no idea what you are supposed to do with the resulting waste-in-a-bag.     
  I figure they take a dim view of dumping it in a dumpster, or dropping used plastic bags into a porta-john tank.

If you are really serious, or just don't like to use a stinky,and frequently dirty porta potty:  I swear by my $65.00 molded plastic, flushable marine toilet.  It uses 'blue balls' (dissolvable packets of deodorizers that break down waste) that you add to the holding tank.  It's about the size of a 5 gallon bucket and holds a couple days worth of business.  When you leave, you can take the sealed unit to the RV sanitary dump, and just pull a lever to dump the tank. You use the hose (should be provided at the dump) to rinse it out, then put it into a large trash bag to take home.

This is the one I want ( or something like this)! Husband balked at the price tag though - For me, since everything is sealed and contained it seemed cleaner and less of a hassle. I imagine once home you use bleach to super ultra scrub it outside?
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

RowenD

POLLY-I have never completely filled it up before dumping it, but I could carry it pretty easily when it was 1/2 full.   It weighed about as much as a 2 gallon water jug, and almost nothing empty, since there are no electronic or heavy mechanical parts.   It has handles molded into the sides, and a port in the back sealed by a flapper valve for dumping, so nothing sloshes out, because the waste is contained under the bowl valve on top.
    BTW,  It's a good idea to get yourself a bottle of valve lube (RV store again) and add a little to the holding tank water at the same time you are adding water to dissolve the blue deodorizer chemicals.  Your toilet will last longer and it will prevent the seal from drying out when in storage so that you have no leaks in the future.

Scarlet-Cleaning is accomplished by just rinsing very well with water.  I usually take care of touch up cleaning at home over the bathroom toilet-Fill slosh, dump, add lube, store.
   The chemicals will take care of keeping the holding tank clean and fresh.
    I would not advise using bleach or any other cleaner not recommended by the RV store inside the tank, you can damage the seals, and destroy your investment.

Note: The above knowledge comes from a combination of 15years of RV ownership and 20 years of being aircraft ground crew in the military, which also involved dumping and cleaning aircraft recycling toilets. 

scarletnyx

Quote from: RowenD on February 20, 2013, 08:42:07 AM

Scarlet-Cleaning is accomplished by just rinsing very well with water.  I usually take care of touch up cleaning at home over the bathroom toilet-Fill slosh, dump, add lube, store.
   The chemicals will take care of keeping the holding tank clean and fresh.
    I would not advise using bleach or any other cleaner not recommended by the RV store inside the tank, you can damage the seals, and destroy your investment.

Note: The above knowledge comes from a combination of 15years of RV ownership and 20 years of being aircraft ground crew in the military, which also involved dumping and cleaning aircraft recycling toilets. 

thanks for the great information! I'm a stickler on -that- kinda of cleanliness, so that's why I was thinking bleach to clean it. But it sounds pretty self cleaning so we don't have to worry after a long weekend at faire.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

RowenD

Quote from: scarletnyx on February 20, 2013, 09:43:47 AM
thanks for the great information! I'm a stickler on -that- kinda of cleanliness, so that's why I was thinking bleach to clean it. But it sounds pretty self cleaning so we don't have to worry after a long weekend at faire.
Pretty much. About the only thing that you might want to clean is the outside and the seat.  As far as I know, you can use whatever products you want.   These potties are rugged too, they can take pretty much any weight sitting on them and they are odor free.
     Even so, I would recommend taking them for a run to the dump every other day, just to keep the weight down, so the unit is easier to handle.  If you are hosting a get together, and let others use your facilities, you may need to go more often.

Here's a pic-

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Portable-Flush-Toilet-Large/dp/B001TS6O8Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361384961&sr=8-4&keywords=portable+toilet+camping.

They are used for boats and camping.   Coleman is a good brand....This version has a detachable waste tank to make dumping easier (and less obvious). The bonus is that you can dump these in a standard porta potty, but you will need to bring a 2 liter bottle of water for rinsing...

Merlin the Elder

I just noticed your tag, Rowen... Just what is the speed of dark?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...